• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Would You Do? Signature Edition
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Another question, stemming from my topic on rarest signatures from comic creators...

As I posted, I have a copy of ASM #97 signed by Stan Lee and Gil Kane. The Gil Kane sig was a find when I purchased the book. It was sold to me without being advertised as having the signature, it was there when I got it and from some internet research (makes me an autograph pro now dontcha know), I am 98% sure it is his.

Four years ago, I sent the copy with a friend to the Fan Expo in Toronto (Stan's last Canada con I believe, or at least it was advertised as that at the time) and he had Stan sign it for me as a wedding gift (I did not want it graded because well, I wasnt big on grading it then). I am 100% sure it was signed by Stan Lee as I have the certificate and photo proof from my friend.

Now, I want John Romita to sign it. I have an opportunity (or two) for this. My question is would you have it signed raw or should I slab it, knowing I will get a qualified yellow label? I am unable to do this in person but as I mentioned, have two wonderful avenues to submit the book to be signed. I am just torn what to do.

I want it to be the most authenticated it can be. On one hand, grading it guarantees the Romita sig and likely stats "Stan Lee written on cover" on the CGC label. However, I am unsure if they would notate the Gil Kane written on the inside. It would also suck not to be able to see that signature again if it is sealed. On the other side, I could have 3 signatures on it raw, great for my viewing pleasure and others but way down the road, should my son or future children need money or support or inherit them, will a couple paper COAs hold up as well? I am really torn because I would be excited both ways but at the same time, saddened in both scenarios. I want to protect the book....but I also enjoy viewing it. 

Thoughts?

Keep it raw, and get it signed. Enjoy all the sigs. Buy another copy, and have that signed (too) and slabbed. Over the long haul, an SS Romita #97 will hold and possibly appreciate better than an unsigned copy.

That way, you get the best of both worlds.

John's going to be 90 early next year. He's the last Silver Age Marvel great (sorry Joe.) He's not going to be signing forever. There are some nice high grade #97s for sale on eBay right now. Buy one of those, and get it signed. It'll be worth much more in the long run.

11 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Another question, stemming from my topic on rarest signatures from comic creators...

As I posted, I have a copy of ASM #97 signed by Stan Lee and Gil Kane. The Gil Kane sig was a find when I purchased the book. It was sold to me without being advertised as having the signature, it was there when I got it and from some internet research (makes me an autograph pro now dontcha know), I am 98% sure it is his.

Four years ago, I sent the copy with a friend to the Fan Expo in Toronto (Stan's last Canada con I believe, or at least it was advertised as that at the time) and he had Stan sign it for me as a wedding gift (I did not want it graded because well, I wasnt big on grading it then). I am 100% sure it was signed by Stan Lee as I have the certificate and photo proof from my friend.

Now, I want John Romita to sign it. I have an opportunity (or two) for this. My question is would you have it signed raw or should I slab it, knowing I will get a qualified yellow label? I am unable to do this in person but as I mentioned, have two wonderful avenues to submit the book to be signed. I am just torn what to do.

I want it to be the most authenticated it can be. On one hand, grading it guarantees the Romita sig and likely stats "Stan Lee written on cover" on the CGC label. However, I am unsure if they would notate the Gil Kane written on the inside. It would also suck not to be able to see that signature again if it is sealed. On the other side, I could have 3 signatures on it raw, great for my viewing pleasure and others but way down the road, should my son or future children need money or support or inherit them, will a couple paper COAs hold up as well? I am really torn because I would be excited both ways but at the same time, saddened in both scenarios. I want to protect the book....but I also enjoy viewing it. 

Thoughts?

I did review your book and IMO, the Kane, as well as the Lee signature, are unquestionably authentic. Have the Romita added, then send the book, raw, to a TPA, like PSA/DNA for a COA of all three signatures. They will positively authenticate all three of the signatures and issue a LOA (Letter of authenticity, that pictures the book and all three signatures. After the book returns from PSA/DNA (or another reputable third party authenticator) then you have two options:

1) Submit the book to CGC for grading/slabbing. You will only be able to view the Kane by looking at the LOA, or possibly images you took of the splash page prior to submission (or the images loaded here, screen captured).

or 2) leave it raw and display it with your letter of authenticity from PSA/DNA, or another reputable TPA (third party authenticator).

Personally, I'd pick option #1.

Don't send it to Desert Wind.  Seriously.   I think that they are one of the current facilitators for him.  

When a certain board member gets some free time and is able to post again he can tell you himself... but from experiences, I would not trust them to put on velcro strapped shoes let alone facilitate a comic signing. 

Edited by Buzzetta

just FYI:

If you get the Romita signature, and it is witnessed by a CGC rep you might will get a yellow label with notes on the label saying "Stan Lee written in pen", and "Gil Kane written in pen" but you might not. Discuss with CGC directly to see what needs to be done to get a yellow label signature when the book already has 2 unwitnessed signatures.

Otherwise: leave it as a raw book.

Thanks all!

I am thinking of going for the signature and keeping it raw. I will also get a COA with it for John Romita's sig. The place I am considering sending it to is The Comic Monster in Fredericksburg, VA. They seem very legitimate and helpful. Just want to double check if there are any people here who have bought or submitted through them before. Thanks again for the feedback!

6 hours ago, Thicksicle said:

Could you recommend a company that does this for comics?

It doesn't have to be a TPA that deals primarily with comic books and comic creator autographs. I'd go with any of the three majors, BAS (Beckett), JSA, or PSA/DNA. They authenticate across a wide spectrum of genres.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:10 PM, Buzzetta said:

Don't send it to Desert Wind.  Seriously.   I think that they are one of the current facilitators for him.  

When a certain board member gets some free time and is able to post again he can tell you himself... but from experiences, I would not trust them to put on velcro strapped shoes let alone facilitate a comic signing. 

I am new to the CGC boards. I am a big fan of John Romita and was looking for information on getting my book signed by him. I have heard different things about this Desert Wind guy. So what can you tell me about him? And please give specifics as I find general comments don’t really help. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Mannydee said:

I am new to the CGC boards. I am a big fan of John Romita and was looking for information on getting my book signed by him. I have heard different things about this Desert Wind guy. So what can you tell me about him? And please give specifics as I find general comments don’t really help. Thanks.

1st Post: Welcome to the boards !

Here... - part of me thinks that this is a shill for Desert Wind Comics - if it is not then I apologize in advance. 

If it IS a shill for DW, know that I would rather NOT get a book a signed at all then go through Desert Wind to get that book signed. 

Here is some bedtime reading though.   BTW... to all reading this... remember that there are complaints about things that do not make "the cgc boards"

Edited by Buzzetta