• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printing error question
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi all-

I’m not asking to grade this comic, but a question as to how a printing error (shown in pics) would affect a grade.

I bought a Bronze Age comic listed as 9.8 condition. Front and back covers look great, everything looks ok except for an obvious printing error-

the bottom corners of last 2 pages of comic weren't cut right and folded over diagonally in printing process. The 2 pages before that have a slight diagonal imprint line on same angle. 

Assuming there are no other flaws on book (there doesn’t seem to be), would this bring a comic down from a 9.8 grade, since it wasn’t damaged, but was printed this way?

thanks-

09617B9C-B167-417C-A8D4-9A87CC523CE3.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

this is very interesting.. I dont think printing defects are downgraded but wouldn't this kind of defect cause it not to be a 9.8? and that bend or fold could have happened after printing I know one pic shows the page not cut correctly which adds to the evidence that it could be a printing defect but what if the bend was from when maybe someone put it in a poly bag with a board or when someone was reading it or handling? 

very interested to see what others say and think? 

On 12/5/2019 at 9:23 AM, Krismusic said:

this is very interesting.. I dont think printing defects are downgraded but wouldn't this kind of defect cause it not to be a 9.8? and that bend or fold could have happened after printing I know one pic shows the page not cut correctly which adds to the evidence that it could be a printing defect but what if the bend was from when maybe someone put it in a poly bag with a board or when someone was reading it or handling

very interested to see what others say and think? 

You've never seen this manufacturing defect before, have you? The pages have extra paper that didn't get trimmed properly because the page was folded at that time. If it's unfolded now, it will look something like this:

ep2.jpg.114b973a173d9c2fc9bcef40c7bacfa9.jpg

I don't think the manufacturing defect itself will affect the grade, but I don't know how CGC will factor in the damage to the other pages.

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

You've never seen this manufacturing defect before, have you? The pages have extra paper that didn't get trimmed properly because the page was folded at that time. If it's unfolded now, it will look something like this:

ep2.jpg.114b973a173d9c2fc9bcef40c7bacfa9.jpg

I don't think the manufacturing defect itself will affect the grade, but I don't know how CGC will factor in the damage to the other pages.

ive seen the bit of extra over but not that much before.. thanks.. yeah I understood that it had over paper that wasn't trimmed but became folded.