• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any opinions on why Erik Larsen doesn't fetch higher prices?

33 posts in this topic

While we are on the subject of Larsen, help me out people.   I don't know Larsen well.    This image is an amalgam of some sort.    The art inside the eyes is the ASM 337 cover.    Where is the head from?

145765-spider-man-return-of-the-sinister

ad728306-bd07-4418-a1e4-bc3335361a05.jpg

Edited by Bronty

I think your question paints with too broad a brush. Sure these pieces are lower than you might expect Erik's art to fetch if you are thinking of Spiderman, in which case the fetch would be several multiples higher. If you like the art posted and find it a good value to you, I would consider purchasing. 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, CartoonFanboy said:

I think it's more to do with subject matter and market desirability than quantity. To use your example, George Perez's work in the mid-90's on UltraForce or iBots is dirt cheap compared to his late 90's work on Avengers. I think the same can be said for Larsen to an extent. If you want his Spider-man work, you're gonna pay. If you're looking for Savage Dragon, it won't cost you nearly as much.

I don’t think there are a lot of Savage Dragon pages on the market. Larsen generally holds into his art. That said, I picked this up a couple of months ago from Don Simpson. It’s partially drawn by Erik. 

A23CCB3C-BB44-4BE4-906B-8275EFF5EE7D.jpeg

22 hours ago, Bronty said:

While we are on the subject of Larsen, help me out people.   I don't know Larsen well.    This image is an amalgam of some sort.    The art inside the eyes is the ASM 337 cover.    Where is the head from?

145765-spider-man-return-of-the-sinister

ad728306-bd07-4418-a1e4-bc3335361a05.jpg

Could be an homage to larsen's ASM 346 cover...

clean.thumb.jpg.eb1efeaab812c6d720fc0679bffb1033.jpg

Or just something that's familiar having been done elsewhere 

228363978_51rcIWNMxL._SX326_BO1204203200_.jpg.664a6299c8e8de8a7f0bd98c4af8cfb5.jpg

Possible but my guess is they pulled it from a panel somewhere.   It’s been done so many times as you say.   Why do it again if you’re already cutting and pasting ?

1 hour ago, O. said:

It sold for $300; the full figure got $500. The ASM #331 Venom panel page went for $7,500.

This one? How do you tell? I'm always confused by these, because it seems to say they always sell for the max, but I have a feeling it doesn't.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-331-pg-6-Original-Comic-Art-Erik-Larsen-Venom-Murder-Page-/323986401036?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=GuXfj3fnS%2B3WM%2BsmWP1xEV6Q1YI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

You can also use the advanced search to search only for sold listings, it'll give you results from the last three months, and if the item didn't sell for the listed price then the price will be crossed out and it'll say "best offer accepted." Then you can use the tool O. posted about to find the actual price. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.11.32 PM.png

Edited by NewCollector101

As always comes down to supply and demand as others mentioned. 

This thread did remind me I was at Isotope in San Francisco not too long after moving here, looking to pick up comics for the week. I didn't have a pull list set up yet, and there was this dude standing in front of the comics wall rack totally in the way, thumbing through an issue of what I think was Hulk. And I'm trying to get a copy of the newest Thor. 

Guy turns around, and it's Erik Larsen. Couldn't have been nicer, even if he did block the rack for a bit.