• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mondo Event

15 posts in this topic

Not original art, but Mondo had a crazy event going on. Offered prints of long sold out items. By my count it was about 1,100 different prints. Most must have only had one per print on offer as I believe they stated in total about 1,200 prints. They did not say before hand which prints would be on offer. I was extyremely excited to get one of have been eyeing up on ebay for quite some time, but could never justify the price at over $400. Anyone pick anything up? This is what I got:

ansinconanregarchive_thumb_44e2c15a-8dba-4a4b-b90d-6409f20787e4_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1412020206

Looks like most items were gone within 5 minutes or so. 

There is a poster and print collecting topic somewhere around here I think in the main general comic section. I thought people gave up on Mondo Tees stuff via their drops as the majority were getting purchased by people cheating using automated scripts or bots. Good posters would sell out in seconds as even if you carted a poster you would have to get though their checkout and the bots were ahead of just about any normal person. I know I haven't purchased a Mondo Tees poster in years.

I did attempt to purchase during one of their flat file sales a few years back and it didn't go well. It was just a standard listing that you had to go through a bunch of pages. It was best to search for what you wanted. But it was slow. And the bots got the good prints. Like you said, Mondo probably only put up one or two of the good prints. Which would make it worse than their usual drops of a few hundred prints to go around between who knows how many thousand people.

I assume the flat file sale was the same situation this year as Mondo doesn't seem to want to change anything. Thus probably the reason why they aren't putting out good prints like they did a few years back. All the movie poster fans and collectors have left leaving only a few people and the flippers. And Mondo isn't the only gallery anymore. You have Bottleneck, Hero Complex, Gallery 1988, Dark City, Acme, and many others.

I did think about that Conan. But I have this Flash Gordon set by the same artist.

1118435225_flashgordon.jpg.3cff6096755f70b0a12748a3fd9db9a5.jpg

I would like to see him do the same thing for Conan. I don't think many like the sequel but I remember seeeing it in the theater and liked the adventure and giant creature at the end.

The only other print I've ever bought directly from them was when they did a special Alien Day print and you had a certain amount of time to order so you actually didn't have to try and scoop it up immediately. I've bought a few on ebay that weren't particularry expensive. Hero Complex Gallery is definitely where I look the most these days. Bottleneck as well. 

16 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I gave up years ago. Surprised it is still popular, to be honest. Good for them and the artists. I think Olly Moss made that entire market. 

I find Olly Moss and Tyler Stout to both be very overrated. People saw the prices these posters were going for in the aftermarket and probably did have a great effect on the popularity of Mondo posters. Even bad posters were easily going for 2 and 3 times the retail amount. I think in the early days those Olly Moss and Tyler Stout posters weren't selling out immediately either.

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

The only other print I've ever bought directly from them was when they did a special Alien Day print and you had a certain amount of time to order so you actually didn't have to try and scoop it up immediately. I've bought a few on ebay that weren't particularry expensive. Hero Complex Gallery is definitely where I look the most these days. Bottleneck as well. 

Those open / timed edition posters don't interest the flippers at all. And sometimes they don't interest the so called collectors since they are open editions. But there are a few good ones. I like the Man of Steel homage.

277381981_manofsteel.jpg.177be06306ac377daf8b4c1a1082d2dd.jpg

Yes I think it was the Olly Moss Star Wars drop that really got people into the hobby. But when posters like Melancholia sell out immediately, eh. I never liked Stout's art particularly. BN and HCG have taken some market share for sure. I am just surprised there is still demand for this. The same franchises really haven been beaten to death and one can only see the same combination of artist style and franchise so many times before one hits visual diminishing returns. It was a great idea initially - classic films with new art interpretations. But even the art styles started to blend together a bit for me and the novelty wore off. 

Edited by cstojano

Mondo Tees also seems to want to make more toys and other type of stuff today too. I think their art direction is bad as well now. There are still many movie and tv show properties that they haven't worked on. Or could make better. That Conan 1 & 2 should be a possibility. I'm not crazy about the Mission: Impossible series but they did reveal that they were working on that but it was cancelled. Making a bunch of so so Alien and other movie property posters will eventually wear out. Especially when they seem to be variations of the same theme without characters. An Alien and Aliens set like Flash Gordon should also be an easy idea but we don't have that either.

17 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

Mondo Tees also seems to want to make more toys and other type of stuff today too. I think their art direction is bad as well now. There are still many movie and tv show properties that they haven't worked on. Or could make better. That Conan 1 & 2 should be a possibility. I'm not crazy about the Mission: Impossible series but they did reveal that they were working on that but it was cancelled. Making a bunch of so so Alien and other movie property posters will eventually wear out. Especially when they seem to be variations of the same theme without characters. An Alien and Aliens set like Flash Gordon should also be an easy idea but we don't have that either.

I do believe the principal guy (Justin Ishmael) left in 2015 to start his own company, although I always assumed he was the owner of Mondo.

I just checked their site and they have 3 pages of posters in stock so maybe the hype has finally ended for them. As per usual, some are pretty cool. I just don't need a 24x36 print of 99.9% of movies in my house. I often wonder if they would have done better with smaller prints, given most espressobeans guys seem to just Itoya hundreds of the things. 

Edited by cstojano

One of the marketing people was posting in some of the Facebook communities that they would be changing the URLs for the prints, to make it a more "level playing field". I.e. they basically just added the product ID to the URLs, which also made it super convenient to pull out those IDs and pre-cart most stuff (thanks guy). 

It got me close to some Durieux classics, like Here Comes Trouble and Rear Window, but ultimately I had a few too many windows open and the site had a meltdown on checkout so missed them both. Still managed to get the Moss/Shaw TLoU; Jock's Halloween; Stan & Vince's Creature prints; and a few others. 

Agree with the general sentiment though, the past couple years have been pretty weak and they've lost a lot of that initial strong art direction. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:36 PM, cstojano said:

I do believe the principal guy (Justin Ishmael) left in 2015 to start his own company, although I always assumed he was the owner of Mondo.

I just checked their site and they have 3 pages of posters in stock so maybe the hype has finally ended for them. As per usual, some are pretty cool. I just don't need a 24x36 print of 99.9% of movies in my house. I often wonder if they would have done better with smaller prints, given most espressobeans guys seem to just Itoya hundreds of the things. 

They just had a Pixar show and still have posters from that on their site. Those would have sold quickly years ago. I think they had a few Disney / Pixar galleries back then. I have a Rocketeer poster from one of them. And I'm considering getting one from Peter Pan but I need to see the movie again. I don't remember it that much.

The ExpressoBeans site had a topic with people showing their poster storage and some had nice flat files with a glass on top display. Others had coffee table type flat files. I'm ok with movie poster sized prints and smaller ones. I have a TMNT print from the old NES game that's a nice smaller horizontal size. Mondo worked in that size too. As long as the artwork is cool, I'm pretty much fine with whatever size they come up with. I'm struggling to remember the last great Mondo released poster.

10 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

The ExpressoBeans site had a topic with people showing their poster storage and some had nice flat files with a glass on top display.

No doubt financed by massive flipping; nice/new flat files are quite expensive - ca. $400-800 per file unit plus shipping (also: "not cheap"), most set-ups for quantity require a minimum of two or more units. I know. I'm one of those guys ;)

On 12/16/2019 at 7:30 AM, vodou said:

No doubt financed by massive flipping; nice/new flat files are quite expensive - ca. $400-800 per file unit plus shipping (also: "not cheap"), most set-ups for quantity require a minimum of two or more units. I know. I'm one of those guys ;)

$400 to $800 for the ones with the glass top? I guess I just remember those type of files in school art class. Metal ones without the glass. I never thought they were that much. I only have a couple prints I'll probably never frame.

If Mondo wants money from me, they can make a good Sister Night poster with a variant layer. I'm trying not to spoil the new Watchmen TV series. But those who have seen the show and know some of Mondo's variants, know what I'm talking about.

Mondo updated their website and site name. But I read a funny comment on ExpressoBeans.com say something like Mondo went from a company selling artwork to a company selling limited posters on a specialized  "Drop" page. I guess we'll see if they make something for me this year. So far two months in nothing so far.