• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman in the Copper Age
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I'm only familiar with John Byrne's revamp in the 1986 "Man of Steel" Mini-Series and beyond and also Alan Moore's contributions such as "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", "For the Man Who Has Everything" from Superman Annual #11 and The Jungle Line" from DC Comics Presents #85. Are there any copper gems for the character, prior to these? 

I'm also curious about Superman: The Secret Years, if it's good or not.

One book I consider a hidden gem involves the imp bringing Krypto  ,as a gift, to an adult Superman.

Imagine being a dog and suddenly having super-hearing you can't control, heat vision, being invulnerable and having superspeed and super-strength.  Obviously, it's a recipe for disaster and Supes takes the imp to task. The imp doesn't understand why Big Blue is all upset, and simply blinks Kyrpto back where he came from. Supes suddenly realizes he just condemned his beloved pet to death.

The four part story arc leading up to the death of Superboy, necessitated by Crisis, is another gem.

22 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I read Superman Annual #11 recently.

And it's terrible.

I can't believe Moore wrote it.

It's just awful. 

The Gibbons art is nice.

That is all.

Blasphemy! Love that book. Check out his "best" story though...Secret Origins 10 the Phantom Stranger story. But, as far as Supes goes, I like "The Brainiac Trilogy" Action 647,648,649.

8 minutes ago, johnenock said:

Blasphemy! Love that book. Check out his "best" story though...Secret Origins 10 the Phantom Stranger story. But, as far as Supes goes, I like "The Brainiac Trilogy" Action 647,648,649.

It's just...it reads like Cary Bates wrote it. It's not...bad....it's just not 80's Alan Moore. I mean, this is while he was lighting the world on fire on Swamp Thing...

(shrug)

Its fun, it has its charm...but...ya know.......

10 hours ago, johnenock said:

Thank you for reminding me of the Brainiac Trilogy, time to dig those out. Also, thanks the tip on the Phantom Stranger story!

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's just...it reads like Cary Bates wrote it. It's not...bad....it's just not 80's Alan Moore. I mean, this is while he was lighting the world on fire on Swamp Thing...

(shrug)

Its fun, it has its charm...but...ya know.......

To each their own. :download:

Confession, I don’t get The Dark Knight Returns:shy:

I respect its importance and impact but it just ain’t for me.

I also don’t care for how Superman was portrayed and drawn in that story either.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I'm only familiar with John Byrne's revamp in the 1986 "Man of Steel" Mini-Series and beyond and also Alan Moore's contributions such as "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", "For the Man Who Has Everything" from Superman Annual #11 and The Jungle Line" from DC Comics Presents #85. Are there any copper gems for the character, prior to these? 

I'm also curious about Superman: The Secret Years, if it's good or not.

I actually think I had the first issue of this.  Redish cover, planes.

I remember not liking it at all as a kid, and I love a lot of dumb comics :)

On 12/6/2019 at 6:50 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

To each their own. :download:

Well sure, of course. Keep in mind that this is the same guy who wrote one of the greatest Superman stories of all time: "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?" just about a year later. Those two issues are completely amazing, with all the twists and intricate details that makes Moore so enjoyable. A very fitting tribute to pre-Crisis Supes, and a wonderful sendoff. 

I mean, even DC Presents #85 is a fantastic single issue of Supes and Swampy. 

I can put it this way: until I read Supes Annual #11, I would have said that there isn't a single misstep from Moore from the beginning of his career through From Hell. It wasn't until "1963" that we get into "uh...huh?" Moore. Everything from Warrior #1 (I can't speak much to his 2000 AD work) which is breathtaking for its transition of Marvelman into "Miracleman", to Swamp Thing #20-64, to Watchmen, V, Killing Joke, From Hell...it's all a tour de force, every issue you sit there and think "how much better can this get?"

There's not a single issue, with the exception, perhaps, of #20 (which was a wrap-up of the Pasko storylines), of Swamp Thing that hits a discordant note. The whole thing, from start to finish, is breathtaking in scope and execution. Masterpieces of the artform abound, like #21-24, Annual #2, #34, #37-40, #52-53, #64.

And my God, Olympus from MM #11-16? It does not get any better.

But, hey, it's still Moore, with great art, so I can forgive him for it. ;) I've still got DCP #85 and Supes #523/Action #583 to adore.

On an unrelated note, the Animal Man appearances in Action #552-553 are fun. Also Giffen did some issues of Action in which Ambush Bug appeared, and those were a lot of fun, as Giffen always is. 

Act_552_98t.jpg

Action #552-553 were hot for about 20 minutes in the very early 90s, since A-Man didn't make a lot of appearances prior to A-Man #1 in 1988 (I think about 10 all told), so I always buy these when  run across them.

It's a shame that Animal Man wasn't developed much after Morrison. Such a fun character, with so much potential.

10 minutes ago, Brock said:

There is absolutely nothing out there that matches the sheer insanity and glee of those early Ambush Bug stories...

Giffen doesn't get nearly as much credit as he should, but he's a hilarious comedy writer. The first two years of Justice League are comedy gold. Plus, I love, love, love his scratchy, blocky art, before he got ULTRA blocky in the 90s.

That said, his Legion of Superheroes he did with the Bierbaums (1989) are haunting and wildly underrated. 

On 12/8/2019 at 12:37 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Giffen doesn't get nearly as much credit as he should, but he's a hilarious comedy writer. The first two years of Justice League are comedy gold. Plus, I love, love, love his scratchy, blocky art, before he got ULTRA blocky in the 90s.

That said, his Legion of Superheroes he did with the Bierbaums (1989) are haunting and wildly underrated. 

I kinda saw that book as the last episode of Seinfeld, kind of a review of all the characters. What did I miss?

3 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:
On 12/8/2019 at 9:37 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I kinda saw that book as the last episode of Seinfeld, kind of a review of all the characters. What did I miss?

Which book?