• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 123 not 1st Supergirl?

11 posts in this topic

This has long bugged me in the comic community. Why isn't Superman 123 considered the first appearance of Supergirl (or "Super-Girl" as spelled in 123)? I've always thought of it compared to Swamp Thing. HOS 92 introduced us to Swamp Thing, and although the version of the character we met in HOS was very similar to Alec Holland in Swamp Thing 1, he wasn't heard from again. Yet HOS 92 is the "first appearance of Swamp Thing," and demands quite a premium. How is Superman 123's situation any different? Yes, the Supergirl in 123 isn't Kara Zor-El, but it is Supergirl, the only actual difference noted is a red skirt, and no origin. (tho I would discount Superboy 5 and 78 due to the extreme lack of similarity) Most label it as a tryout, but I feel "tryout" doesn't do it justice either, and calls to mind examples like the original "Hulk," a character far different from the modern version. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.44.31 PM.png

Edited by HuddyBee

Well if you see what dealers ask for it, it  is not just another run book. It may be a Supergirl but not The Supergirl, who has her own TV show, movie, many comic runs etc. Sort of like the first Bat Girl is not Babs, and is priced no where like it (although Kane argued for royalties on it). I am sure there are quite a few similar but maybe none quite as specific as these two. ....and lets not go into how many derivations of Lois lane being Superwoman there were in imaginary tales - and wasn't Lana also a Superwoman as well. When Mort had an idea that sold he certainly went for it.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:44 PM, HuddyBee said:

This has long bugged me in the comic community. Why isn't Superman 123 considered the first appearance of Supergirl (or "Super-Girl" as spelled in 123)? I've always thought of it compared to Swamp Thing. HOS 92 introduced us to Swamp Thing, and although the version of the character we met in HOS was very similar to Alec Holland in Swamp Thing 1, he wasn't heard from again. Yet HOS 92 is the "first appearance of Swamp Thing," and demands quite a premium. How is Superman 123's situation any different? Yes, the Supergirl in 123 isn't Kara Zor-El, but it is Supergirl, the only actual difference noted is a red skirt, and no origin. (tho I would discount Superboy 5 and 78 due to the extreme lack of similarity) Most label it as a tryout, but I feel "tryout" doesn't do it justice either, and calls to mind examples like the original "Hulk," a character far different from the modern version. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.44.31 PM.png

It is a great issue and great point but I would go with Action 252 still..close but no cigar

22 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Well if you see what dealers ask for it, it  is not just another run book. It may be a Supergirl but not The Supergirl, who has her own TV show, movie, many comic runs etc. Sort of like the first Bat Girl is not Babs, and is priced no where like it (although Kane argued for royalties on it).

This is true. I just always found examples like this odd. Just simply which book the market favors. Like I brought up above, Swamp Thing seems to go against the "Supergirl/Batgirl" scenario in which book is favored monetarily.

I had a #252 and then a boardie offered Supes #123 on here for next to nothing so I bought that as well.

They display very well together, and is a nice talking point (no pics as #252 is a Voldy)

1230457005_Superman123.jpg.7b2a7fddc3a9d714e067ad08832598c8.jpg

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

:gossip: Superboy #5 has the 1st named "Supergirl".  She too has blonde hair. 1949

Hardly the same though. She is an acrobat and isn't a "super" girl, has no actual powers, and nowhere near resembles the Supergirl we know today.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 12.42.24 PM.png

You also have Action Comics 60 and 156. However both of these are simply Lois Lane getting temporary superpowers, named "Superwoman", and still hardly resemble the supergirl we see in Supes 123 and Action 252. There is also Superboy 78, which came out after Supes 123 and Action 252, showcasing Superboy being turned into a girl.

(Action 156, 60, and Superboy 78, pictured in order below)

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 12.50.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 12.50.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 12.53.15 PM.png

Edited by HuddyBee

3 hours ago, APDallas said:

Action #251 has the first appearance of SUPERGIRL in a full page ad

While not a first appearance, as it is in an ad. I could see it being considered a cameo, as Supergirl actually interacts with the DC universe and continuity with Superman.