• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legit Kirby, or nah?

9 posts in this topic

Got in touch with a former sports/sports card memorbilia store owner via an ad he put out regarding selling sports memorabilia for the holidays. Asked about comics and he happens to have some Kirby sigs verified by Beckett on books, some limited lithos signed by Romita and Lee, a few more books and prints signed by higher profile creators, as well as an original Kirby piece (as he claims/believes) I was jw what your thoughts were993127642_CaptAmericaKirbyart.thumb.jpg.38866b21c94a29311a554a174d3c468b.jpg

Capt America Kirby closeup.jpg

Edited by Nick Berntson

Several  layer of "No." I think:

First off, are you sure it's OA? Because that's a print that's signed by Kirby, and I think the original is spoken for. Second, I'm not sure if Roz, rather than Jack, signed it.  Third - well, is two enough? It's a nice souvenir and a keepsake.

Edited by glendgold

Thanks, Glen.

It really helps when an informed collector gives perspective 

on original comic art.

Maybe this questioner has a nice Roz Kirby signed print,

who knows?

Your feedback gives a starting point for that person.

The sports card industry connection would be a yellow

(caution) flag for me.

David

17 hours ago, Nick Berntson said:

Got in touch with a former sports/sports card memorbilia store owner via an ad he put out regarding selling sports memorabilia for the holidays. Asked about comics and he happens to have some Kirby sigs verified by Beckett on books, some limited lithos signed by Romita and Lee, a few more books and prints signed by higher profile creators, as well as an original Kirby piece (as he claims/believes) I was jw what your thoughts were993127642_CaptAmericaKirbyart.thumb.jpg.38866b21c94a29311a554a174d3c468b.jpg

Capt America Kirby closeup.jpg

Nick welcome! How much was sports guy asking for the “original” Kirby?

4 hours ago, Peter L said:

This is why I am usually more comfortable going through an auction house rather than buying from a collector.

Probably sound but it also depends on the collector-seller. With all the shenanigans I understand your caution.

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Love the thread title :bigsmile: Welcome Nick.

If he’d gone with yeh or nay I would’ve voted Nick Rookie of the year.

For legit or nah? he gets MVP for December

8 hours ago, grapeape said:

If he’d gone with yeh or nay I would’ve voted Nick Rookie of the year.

For legit or nah? he gets MVP for December

I dunno grapeape. 'Legit or nah' has got an abrupt eathiness to it. It's nicely casual :bigsmile: