• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 1 1.5
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Hulk 1 1.5, but it’s cover and back are fully split and detached.

Theoretically speaking, could I crack it, tape the cover and back together (on the inside), had the staples removed and reattached the cover (through the tape), and as long as I didn’t use archival tape, could it still get a blue label?

And would it grade higher cause it wasn’t split and detached anymore?

Curious to hear thoughts on this..thanks!

3F80E682-AA3D-49EB-8118-A76A01F0F4D5.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

I have a copy of Hulk 1 1.5, but it’s cover and back are fully split and detached.

Theoretically speaking, could I crack it, tape the cover and back together (on the inside), had the staples removed and reattached the cover (through the tape), and as long as I didn’t use archival tape, could it still get a blue label?

And would it grade higher cause it wasn’t split and detached anymore?

Curious to hear thoughts on this..thanks!

3F80E682-AA3D-49EB-8118-A76A01F0F4D5.jpeg

Seems like you'd be working towards a Conserved label.

2 hours ago, Tbone911t said:

They would grade it as if the tape wasn't present, hence probably same grade. Tape is bad. Nice book. 

Thanks - I'm not going to do it, but I was curious if this was some sort of loophole in grading.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:32 AM, Ozonetv said:

Thanks - I'm not going to do it, but I was curious if this was some sort of loophole in grading.

It used to be until the collecting community complained enough about books with taped together spines getting 2.5/3.0 grades, often taped on the outside, so that making a book look uglier was bumping the grade. After the policy change it does seem CGC might have started giving out 1.5s to books with completely split spines, if they weren't otherwise a beater. My recollection is that all such books used to get a 1.0, but I could be wrong. 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, Ozonetv said:

Tape is OK for a blue label. As soon as you tape, and then reintroduce the staples through the tape, the taped cover, and through the pages, securing them at the centerfold, that is now a reinforced spine, and should be considered purple label territory, IMO. Not 100% sure if this is the hard and true rule at CGC, just my opinion.