• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the previous grade taken into consideration before being re-graded?

13 posts in this topic

Long story short, my LCS submitted one of my more precious books from a batch for pressing and re-grading that was only meant to be submitted for a reholder with a Marvel label. Worst part of it is that the book is a $2500 book already already in CGC 9.8. Whoops. 

I don't even want to get into the if's or what's about it again since I'm trying my best to sleep at night lol. But wondering if at any point during this process, is the previous grade taken into account at all? Or is the grader seeing the book raw without it's previous label. My hopes and prayers are that it stays 9.8. Or at least that chances of it coming back again in 9.8 is more than 50%.

Edited by Lundon44

Just now, Lundon44 said:

Great. There's goes the remaining bit of sleep I was getting.

The presser will probably use your comic as a Frisbee, chuck it at Johnny, who will miss the catch completely as your comic bounces all 4 corners against the Pressing Room walls.

Say hello to your new 7.5 UF4!

Seriously, though, your chances at retaining a 9.8 are probably 98%. It's getting unnecessarily pressed after they already graded it NM/Mint. I would be extremely surprised if it came back with a lower grade.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The presser will probably use your comic as a Frisbee, chuck it at Johnny, who will miss the catch completely as your comic bounces all 4 corners against the Pressing Room walls.

Say hello to your new 7.5 UF4!

Seriously, though, your chances at retaining a 9.8 are probably 98%. It's getting unnecessarily pressed after they already graded it NM/Mint. I would be extremely surprised if it came back with a lower grade.

Lol, funny.. I think I had that exact dream last night except they used it for the world championship of ultimate frisbee.

Well, I do appreciate the reassurance. I would gladly take that 98% any day. And that remaining 2% that it comes back 9.9 ^^

1 hour ago, Lundon44 said:

Long story short, my LCS submitted one of my more precious books from a batch for pressing and re-grading that was only meant to be submitted for a reholder with a Marvel label. Worst part of it is that the book is a $2500 book already already in CGC 9.8. Whoops. 

I don't even want to get into the if's or what's about it again since I'm trying my best to sleep at night lol. But wondering if at any point during this process, is the previous grade taken into account at all? Or is the grader seeing the book raw without it's previous label. My hopes and prayers are that it stays 9.8. Or at least that chances of it coming back again in 9.8 is more than 50%.

Is there a chance your LCS left it in it's original slab and you can stop the process. I undesrtand you only wanted to rehold. The LCS should not have removed before submission. I wish your luck on this.     

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Is there a chance your LCS left it in it's original slab and you can stop the process. I undesrtand you only wanted to rehold. The LCS should not have removed before submission. I wish your luck on this.     

I tried to stop CGC in time. But every time I called them they either hadn't processed anything yet or it was too late. Mind you, the LCS ower did swear to me he would follow up to ensure this wasn't done. Ah, well.

Expanding on what others have said:

The graders know nothing about the books they are grading. They don't know who submitted the books. They don't know if the book was previously graded and what grade was given before.  You say this book - which was just supposed to be a reholder -  was in with a "batch" that is to be pressed and regraded. So if it helps you sleep at night I think your odds are fairly high that if CCS unslabs and presses the book it will remain a 9.8. 

If you paid to have your books screened by CCS before pressing there is a good chance they will contact you and tell you improvement is unlikely - or just send it over for reholder. . The screening is done with the books still in the slab. 

Edited by Tony S

10 hours ago, Tony S said:

If you paid to have your books screened by CCS before pressing there is a good chance they will contact you and tell you improvement is unlikely - or just send it over for reholder. . The screening is done with the books still in the slab. 

I did not pay for screening.. Again, this was because a book from my reholder batch somehow ended up getting mixed into my smaller batch of books meant for pressing and grading.

But like others have said, chances should still be decent that it comes back 9.8. I mean, technically I don't know if the book was previously pressed so I can't see it doing any harm. I hope lol. 

2 hours ago, Lundon44 said:

I did not pay for screening.. Again, this was because a book from my reholder batch somehow ended up getting mixed into my smaller batch of books meant for pressing and grading.

But like others have said, chances should still be decent that it comes back 9.8. I mean, technically I don't know if the book was previously pressed so I can't see it doing any harm. I hope lol. 

This is an interesting situation. I would suspect your book will get the full treatment (crack-out, press, regrade) and placed in a shiny new holder. If it comes back less than a 9.8, I'd be very, very surprised...  :wishluck:

2 hours ago, Foley said:

Wasn't there already a thread about this book?

Almost but not quite. Other thread I shared the full story looking for feedback on how others would approach it. Here is where I asked specifically if during the process of pressing if a previous grade is taken into account. Just so happens more of the same details spilled out.

20 hours ago, Lundon44 said:

Almost but not quite. Other thread I shared the full story looking for feedback on how others would approach it. Here is where I asked specifically if during the process of pressing if a previous grade is taken into account. Just so happens more of the same details spilled out.

From what I recall, if the book had been submitted to CGC as a straight up reholder, the process would be quicker and less complicated. A typical procedure for looking at reholder books would be for one of the graders to do a fairly large group of them all at once. Each book would be carefully cracked out and then inspected for any damage, and there are times when the holders are damaged so severely that damage to the book does occur. If the book appears to have been undamaged and the inner well is still perfectly intact, only the outer shell would need to be replaced. In this scenario, since the book would stay in the original inner well, the grade would be taken into account because CGC would want to make sure the book still looked like a 9.8 (or whatever grade it was before it was damaged). 

However, if the book itself suffers damage, CGC would be inclined to have the book pressed in an attempt to mitigate the damage. At this point, the customer should be notified in order to move forward, since extra time and expense will undoubtedly occur. Once the book has been pressed, it would be looked at again by the presser to ensure that the damage had been eliminated. Hopefully the book will be returned to the original grade, but I've seen books that were reduced in grade because even a good pressing didn't completely eliminate the damage. In this scenario, the original grade is still important, because CCS and CGC would be doing their best to return the book to that grade. It's disappointing for everyone when a book doesn't achieve the same grade that it once had, and the census would have to be adjusted accordingly to reflect the difference.

In your case, since the book is inadvertently being sent to CCS for a press, they'll likely assume that you're trying for an upgrade. I do wish you the best of luck in this venture...  :wishluck:

Edited by The Lions Den