Rank the ASM artists
3 3

97 posts in this topic

1,913 posts

Renowned or obscure, doesn't matter -- your very own personal rankings of your favorites.  Curious as ever what OA boardies think.

Top 3, Top 5, Top 10... whatever floats your boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
883 posts
58 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Renowned or obscure, doesn't matter -- your very own personal rankings of your favorites.  Curious as ever what OA boardies think.

Top 3, Top 5, Top 10... whatever floats your boat.

1. Steve Ditko

2. John Romita

3. Todd McFarlane

4.Ross Andru

5. Ron Frenz

6. Erik Larsen

7. Charles Vess

8. Mark Bagley

9.John Romita Jr.

10. Keith Pollard
 

Ditko the GOAT and Romita Sr. Is the merchandising brand of what most folks remember Spider-Man. 

I know I’ll take flack on Vess based on 1 ASM issue but the art is a clinic on grace and beauty. And—-Web of Spider-Man 

Honorable mention

Mike Zeck based on Kravens Last Hunt

Humberto Ramos

Sal Buscema

Jim Mooney a beautiful inker when he finishes Spidey

 

 

Edited by grapeape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,456 posts

Not limiting it to just pencilers

 

1. John Romita Sr
2. John Romita Jr
3. Gil Kane
4. Steve Ditko
5. Mike Zeck
6. Ross Andru
7. Rick Leonardi
8. Jim Mooney
9. Mike Esposito
9. Ron Frenz
10. Sal Buscema

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,053 posts

1. Todd McFarlane

2. Charles Vess

3. Steve Ditko

4. John Romita jr

5. John Byrne

6. Gil Kane

7. John Romita Sr

8. Frank Miller

9. Mark Bagley

10. Ron Frenz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
883 posts
3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

1. Todd McFarlane

2. Charles Vess

3. Steve Ditko

4. John Romita jr

5. John Byrne

6. Gil Kane

7. John Romita Sr

8. Frank Miller

9. Mark Bagley

10. Ron Frenz

Gil Kane will always be associated with The Death of Gwen Stacy.

 

i like John Byrne from your list. I was just flipping through ASM 189 beautiful and with an outstanding cover. I really also enjoyed his early issues on Spider-Man Chapter 1. 

Edited by grapeape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
883 posts
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

1.  Steve Ditko - he really defined the look of Spiderman

2.  John Romita Sr - did an amazing job taking the baton from Ditko.  Added a more realistic look to the characters.

3.  Todd McFarlane - revitalized the character with a dynamic style

4.  Mike Zeck - short lived but very memorable story line and artwork

5.  Gil Kane - some really nice artwork to go with several memorable stories (101 and 102 were great).

6.  John Buscema - no list is complete with at least one of the Buscema boys.

7.  Ross Andru - drew the title during my junior high days, lots of great stories and artwork

8.  John Byrne - Nice realistic style to the character.

9.  Ron Frenz - Reminded me of a throwback to Romita Sr

10.  Jeff Jones - I have a splash by him that I think is epic and really embodies the character.

 

I like John Buscema from your list. There are some Mooney inked pages from Amazing Spider-Man that are just beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,456 posts

The title says ASM artsists, so please consider inkers not just pencilers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,582 posts
18 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

McFarlane

Larsen

Bagley

Romita Sr.

Quesada

 

8 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

The title says ASM artsists, so please consider inkers not just pencilers.

Three out of this five inked their own stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,456 posts
22 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

 

Three out of this five inked their own stuff.

You know that is NOT what I ment! Too many times inkers are ignored.

Edited by Brian Peck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,970 posts
7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

1.  Steve Ditko - he really defined the look of Spiderman

2.  John Romita Sr - did an amazing job taking the baton from Ditko.  Added a more realistic look to the characters.

3.  Todd McFarlane - revitalized the character with a dynamic style

4.  Mike Zeck - short lived but very memorable story line and artwork

5.  Gil Kane - some really nice artwork to go with several memorable stories (101 and 102 were great).

6.  John Buscema - no list is complete with at least one of the Buscema boys.

7.  Ross Andru - drew the title during my junior high days, lots of great stories and artwork

8.  John Byrne - Nice realistic style to the character.

9.  Ron Frenz - Reminded me of a throwback to Romita Sr

10.  Jeff Jones - I have a splash by him that I think is epic and really embodies the character.

 

Do you mean The Studio Jeff Jones or J.G. Jones or another Jeff Jones? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,049 posts

1.  Steve Ditko

2.  John Romita, Snr

3.  Mike Zeck (on Kraven's Last Hunt)

No-one else really figures for me.

Edited by The Voord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,299 posts

1. John Romita

2. Steve Ditko

3. Ross Andru

4. Todd McFarlane

5. Ron Frenz

6. John Buscema

7. Gil Kane

8. John Romita Jr.

9. Keith Pollard

10. Mike Zeck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,970 posts
2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Do you mean The Studio Jeff Jones or J.G. Jones or another Jeff Jones? 

I meant John Gerald Jones not Jeff Jones.  This is the splash I was talking about.

4DA047C9-C268-46FC-A610-4DA2DF0D0B66.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,970 posts
8 hours ago, grapeape said:

I like John Buscema from your list. There are some Mooney inked pages from Amazing Spider-Man that are just beautiful.

John Buscema is the “cowbell” of comic art, you always need more of him.  The splash to Spider-Man 78 is one of my favorite from the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
883 posts
2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

John Buscema is the “cowbell” of comic art, you always need more of him.  The splash to Spider-Man 78 is one of my favorite from the series.

That’s the one I was thinking of:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3