• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank the ASM artists
2 2

144 posts in this topic

1.  Jack Kirby/Steve Ditko (1962 covers)

2. Steve Ditko (1964)

3. John Romita, Sr. (1968)

4. John Romita, Sr. (1967)

5. Steve Ditko (1965)

6. Steve Ditko (1966)

7. John Romita, Sr. (1969)

8. Steve DItko (1963)

9. Steve DItko (1962).

10 John Romita, Sr. (1972)

11. John Buscema (1969)

12. Gil Kane (1970)

13. Todd McFarlane (1993)

14. Ross Andru (1975)

15. Mike Zeck (whatever year that Kraven story was)

15. Larry Lieber/Bill Everett (origin story only, 1968)

Edited by bluechip

Bottom 3:

1. Later JRJR

2. Humberto Ramos

3.  Kirby the King

1.  JRSR

2.  Tood McF

3.  Ditko

4.  Erik Larsen

5. John Byrne

6. Gil Kane

7.  Buscema

8 Ron Frenz

Honorable:  Keith Pollard, Mike Zeck, Andru

5 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I'm not sure why the Ditko version to AF 15 was rejected.

Jacks was the more impressive cover in my opinion. It is fitting that the king of comics introduced the worlds greatest superhero on the debut cover while the perfect Ditko weaved the most incredible interior pages of a debut hero I’ve ever seen. See Library of Congress and drool (not on the pages.)

3 hours ago, grapeape said:

Jacks was the more impressive cover in my opinion. It is fitting that the king of comics introduced the worlds greatest superhero on the debut cover while the perfect Ditko weaved the most incredible interior pages of a debut hero I’ve ever seen. See Library of Congress and drool (not on the pages.)

Not for me.  I prefer the Ditko version.  Likewise for the rejected Ditko #10 cover.

Edited by pemart1966

48 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Not for me.  I prefer the Ditko version.  Likewise for the rejected Ditko #10 cover.

They did finally print the Ditko AF cover for ASM 700. I dig it don’t get me wrong. 
Ditko Spidey my favorite all time.

7 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I probably lean more towards Kirby's AF cover though the rejected Ditko version looks perfectly acceptable (not much in it for me).  On the other hand, I prefer Ditko's unused ASM # 10 cover over the published Kirby/Ditko version.  Fascinating to discover such things exist years after publication and it makes you wonder (outside of a small number of known rejected versions) how many other covers Lee requested re-dos of?