• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank the ASM artists
2 2

144 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Thanks!  Which issue is this from?

Actually I think that this panel was mentioned recently in the current run as being very important to the Kindred identity storyline. P.S I think it is the Gray Goblin answers on a postcard to Osborn industries, RU12 Green Street. Goblin Town Hamilton.:bigsmile:  

10 hours ago, bluechip said:

Spectacular Spider-man #2 1968, one of the best stories of the 1960s but not given its due because it's outside the monthly ASM title.

yep.i love those two issues !!!

Image result for spectacular spider man 2 Image result for spectacular spider man 2

Edited by 1950's war comics

11 hours ago, tv horror said:

Actually I think that this panel was mentioned recently in the current run as being very important to the Kindred identity storyline. P.S I think it is the Gray Goblin answers on a postcard to Osborn industries, RU12 Green Street. Goblin Town Hamilton.:bigsmile:  

I’ll take your word for it...haven’t read a Spidey comic since JMS destroyed it with all of the Spider-totem B.S. and the Gwen/Norman Osborn (ahem) romance.

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I’ll take your word for it...haven’t read a Spidey comic since JMS destroyed it with all of the Spider-totem B.S. and the Gwen/Norman Osborn (ahem) romance.

I stopped at 700 but I still keep my ear to the ground for rumours, hey you never know?(thumbsu As for the JMS run I had such high hopes after Babylon 5 I was willing to give him a chance although it seems that he was overid on the actual storyline and that's why he quit. I HATE  to admit it but the real Spidey ended around issue 300 of Amazing.

3 hours ago, tv horror said:

I stopped at 700  . . . 

I stopped at 200.  I'd been in the British army for six years from 1972 to 1977 and during that time had a three-year posting in Germany, so pretty much had a period where I didn't really have the opportunity to keep up-to-date with the title.  After my de-mob, I bought-up all the back issues and found that I wasn't terribly excited by what I was reading (or looking at, for some artists).  There was one period where Spidey was driving around in what looked like a Beach Buggy (called, The Spider-Mobile, I think) and I just thought to myself, "Super-Hero types take a big stretch of the imagination, but this is just totally nuts . . .  I guess Stan must have said to the writer of the time, "Beach Buggies are cool, let's give Spidey one to drive around walls on!"  :screwy: For me, the Ditko run is classic (he created most of the enduring villains and developed all the characters that once established pretty much wrote themselves).  I like the early John Romita Snr Stuff, as illustrations, but it was clear to me that he was just drawing, whereas Ditko was actively involved in the plotting, writing and development.  I get that people here might not necessarily 'get' Ditko, but you gotta recognize that he set the rule-book for what was to follow . . . even if some joker decided to throw-in a Spider-Mobile.

5 hours ago, J.Sid said:

300? Ended with the creation of Venom? 

You'd be shocked how many people I work with who, when asked, cite Mark Bagley as their favorite Spidey Artist. (these people work in the entertainment industry and generally are not OA collectors)

Yeah I'm a SLOW learner it only took another 400 issues for it to sink in, although I was writing about the storylines and not the art.(thumbsu

7 hours ago, The Voord said:

I stopped at 200.  I'd been in the British army for six years from 1972 to 1977 and during that time had a three-year posting in Germany, so pretty much had a period where I didn't really have the opportunity to keep up-to-date with the title.  After my de-mob, I bought-up all the back issues and found that I wasn't terribly excited by what I was reading (or looking at, for some artists).  There was one period where Spidey was driving around in what looked like a Beach Buggy (called, The Spider-Mobile, I think) and I just thought to myself, "Super-Hero types take a big stretch of the imagination, but this is just totally nuts . . .  I guess Stan must have said to the writer of the time, "Beach Buggies are cool, let's give Spidey one to drive around walls on!"  :screwy: For me, the Ditko run is classic (he created most of the enduring villains and developed all the characters that once established pretty much wrote themselves).  I like the early John Romita Snr Stuff, as illustrations, but it was clear to me that he was just drawing, whereas Ditko was actively involved in the plotting, writing and development.  I get that people here might not necessarily 'get' Ditko, but you gotta recognize that he set the rule-book for what was to follow . . . even if some joker decided to throw-in a Spider-Mobile.

I honestly believe the Spider-Mobile stories in 130-131 (and then finally destroyed i believe in ASM 160) was put into stories to help market and sell the spider-mobile TOY CAR that came out for the megos to sit in.

Edited by romitaman

21 minutes ago, The Voord said:

They ran a Ditko OA exhibition in Palma, Spain a few years ago, organized by Paris Fred.  As an artwork contributor, I got treated like royalty when I finally made the visit with my wife a few months after the official opening.  Lots of ASM art on display.  For those that may have missed my post at the time, a selection of photos from my visit can be viewed on my CAF at:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=178300

Oh, man... now this is the Life.

I'll bet someone here can verify or factually contradict the following statement that I once read:

Jim Mooney worked on more pages featuring Spider-man than any other artist.

This is independent of title and whether or not he was the inker or the penciller.

Does anyone know if this is a true statement. I can believe it, but ...