• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank the ASM artists
2 2

144 posts in this topic

Assuming we aren’t just talking the initial run of ASM and mean the character as a whole here is my list. I give a lot of credit for issues drawn and runs defined as well as talent. Vess for example while immensely talented just had to little work to be considered, same for Zeck.

1. Ditko

2. Romita

3. Gil Kane

4. Bagley

5. Andru

6. McFarlane

7. Sal B.

8. Sauvik

9. H. Ramos

10.  Frenz

Honorable Mentions

Pollard, Larsen, JRJR, and Joe St. Pierre

Edited by zhamlau

4 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

but we ARE talking about the ASM title artists @zhamlau:baiting:That's why our Pal Sal was not on the list since his work was mostly on Spectacular. Otherwise MOONEY would be way higher on my list as well as Sal for PPTSSM & Marvel Team-up.:cloud9:

mIoBQxjR_2801180149081sbpi.thumb.jpg.f9fe16b27d5987cb6b467be640bcd39d.jpg

NQM8i6Uf_2801180147121sbpi.jpg

Then I would revise my list to remove number 8 and the Honorable mention of JSP...the other 12 out of 14 names I listed stand.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:56 PM, grapeape said:

They did finally print the Ditko AF cover for ASM 700. I dig it don’t get me wrong. 
Ditko Spidey my favorite all time.

It was also printed on the back cover of "The Official Marvel Index to the Amazing Spider-Man"  #1 1985...

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

HEY....A post i can really enjoy chatting about!! LOL 

i'm going from memory on everything i write so i may be off on a few issues i'm listing...LOL

1. John Romita Sr..."Most" art collectors under 60 and over say 48 will agree with me here..all my art buddies over 60 have Ditko first..and i get it! and i love this man personally like a father so he is always #1 for me!

1764173960_BBCRomitaman.jpg.c8d972e65b0f165175acd2a237d6c90a.jpg

;) :grin: lol 

Edited by delekkerste

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, exitmusicblue said:

When push comes to shove, no Sal Buscema, eh?  Everybody's excommunicated from the cult.

lol

I think the op indicated the focus was on ASM artists, and while Sal illustrated a handful of issues, here and there, I don't think he resonates as an ASM artist for most folks.  If we're talking Spec Spidey, that's a different conversation and he's certain to be in the top 3 artists of that list.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:05 AM, batman_fan said:

1.  Steve Ditko - he really defined the look of Spiderman

2.  John Romita Sr - did an amazing job taking the baton from Ditko.  Added a more realistic look to the characters.

3.  Todd McFarlane - revitalized the character with a dynamic style

4.  Mike Zeck - short lived but very memorable story line and artwork

5.  Gil Kane - some really nice artwork to go with several memorable stories (101 and 102 were great).

6.  John Buscema - no list is complete with at least one of the Buscema boys.

7.  Ross Andru - drew the title during my junior high days, lots of great stories and artwork

8.  John Byrne - Nice realistic style to the character.

9.  Ron Frenz - Reminded me of a throwback to Romita Sr

10.  J.G. Jones - I have a splash by him that I think is epic and really embodies the character.

For the throwback reference, I *think* you meant to say Ditko rather than Romita Sr, right?  At least, that's what Frenz's first few issues of ASM were reminiscent of...his mid-to-late work on ASM was more closely associated with one of his major artistic influences, Sal Buscema.  There, I said it.  For those that love Sal's Spidey artwork, enjoy!  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think the op indicated the focus was on ASM artists, and while Sal illustrated a handful of issues, here and there, I don't think he resonates as an ASM artist for most folks.  If we're talking Spec Spidey, that's a different conversation and he's certain to be in the top 3 artists of that list.

'twas totally in jest.  : )

1) John Romita

2) Ross Andru  (pure nostalgic choice, artist of ASM during my youth) - We discuss his art over in the @Get Marwood & I thread in the bronze age.

3) Todd Mcfarlane

4) John Byrne (Earlier Stuff)

5) John Romita Jr. (Earlier Stuff)

6) John Buscema (loved Mooney inks on John's pencil)

7)  Steve Ditko (sorry, just never was a fan.  really disliked his work when I first started to collect, but his work has grown on me)

16 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Assuming we aren’t just talking the initial run of ASM and mean the character as a whole here is my list. I give a lot of credit for issues drawn and runs defined as well as talent. Vess for example while immensely talented just had to little work to be considered, same for Zeck.

1. Ditko

2. Romita

3. Gil Kane

4. Bagley

5. Andru

6. McFarlane

7. Sal B.

8. Sauvik

9. H. Ramos

10.  Frenz

Honorable Mentions

Pollard, Larsen, JRJR, and Joe St. Pierre

Your # 8 choice is one I missed and should have made my honorable mention at least.

4 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Your # 8 choice is one I missed and should have made my honorable mention at least.

Well I was thinking when we said “ASM” we meant Spider-Man in general since he has been called that before. But I’ve since been told that it was meant to only the actual ASM title. That’s why I had to adjust.

18 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

sal i believe only drew interiors for asm 154-155. and maybe one more late 190's issue i think?

for what its worth..i loved his early 1970s spec pages and his 70s MTU run!