• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first Marvel movie to become a broadway musical

27 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

I just think it’s odd that in New York regular people go to see live musical drama for no reason at all. Out here it’s a 5th grade field trip and then never again unless you sign up for free theater tickets like my sister does 

Why do you read comics?

8 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Not for the musical numbers. It would be a better comparison if 90% of active comic readers all lived in the same city. That would be weird, right?

Do you think musicals in New York stay in business due to locals? Broadway would have half as many shows if that was the case. I see a show maybe once every 2 years. Date night with my wife or whatever. Granted, some folks see nearly every show that comes out, but they don't drive the business. No, many tourists and business visitors make it a point to see a show or two. Nyc has millions of them  Also the notion that musical theatre is for 5th grade productions elsewhere is nonsense. There are many regional productions of these shows going on that have an avid following. It's just not something you're into I assume. Different people like different stuff. Some people cannot fathom watching an avengers movie.

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

Do you think musicals in New York stay in business due to locals? Broadway would have half as many shows if that was the case. I see a show maybe once every 2 years. Date night with my wife or whatever. Granted, some folks see nearly every show that comes out, but they don't drive the business. No, many tourists and business visitors make it a point to see a show or two. Nyc has millions of them  Also the notion that musical theatre is for 5th grade productions elsewhere is nonsense. There are many regional productions of these shows going on that have an avid following. It's just not something you're into I assume. Different people like different stuff. Some people cannot fathom watching an avengers movie.

Does it do what South Park suggests it does?

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Does it do what South Park suggests it does?

I am not current on South Park, so I do not know what you are referring to. I did see Book of Mormon with my wife though.

54 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don’t watch the Avengers movies either but know plenty of regular people who do. I’ve never known anyone to be hyped to see live theater in my life. Not even my sister who gets free tickets, tries to give them away, and can’t find any takers. I’ve never known anyone to actually pay for a ticket to a play. I’m sure that wouldn’t be the case if I lived in Manhattan. It seems to be a New York cultural thing. Even if three quarters of the crowd at every show was a tourist, that’s a huge number of New Yorkers watching plays. 

43 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I don’t watch the Avengers movies either but know plenty of regular people who do. I’ve never known anyone to be hyped to see live theater in my life. Not even my sister who gets free tickets, tries to give them away, and can’t find any takers. I’ve never known anyone to actually pay for a ticket to a play. I’m sure that wouldn’t be the case if I lived in Manhattan. It seems to be a New York cultural thing. Even if three quarters of the crowd at every show was a tourist, that’s a huge number of New Yorkers watching plays. 

Ok, you live in southern California and don't know any entertainment industry types interested in live theatre? If your sister can't give away tickets to Los Angeles regional production, which are pretty high quality, my guess is she has a pretty narrow circle of friends. And frankly, most musicals don't excite me either, but there are some I want to see. Anyway, I think you just don't know a broad enough circle of people. You don't know any gay men or 58 year old women?

And I agree, most of the guys on my softball team woukd prefer to go to a Yankee game over a musical, but they'd clay accept the musical tickets to make their wives or girlfriends happy. If they haven't been married 15 years there might be a special treat in it for them.

I’ve been to many Broadway plays as my wife and her brother make it their annual Christmas gifts to each other. Averaging about 1 a year for 20 or so years. Most were a cure for insomnia. The few that stood out were Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Once and Warhorse (not a musical). About 10 years ago I took my middle school aged son to see Spider-Man. I think U2 did the music (definitely no Joshua Tree). It was Terrible. If you can get past the constant screeds against    sports, religion, tradition and conservatism there not so bad. Plus I always get a good meal before or after. 

I liked Mormon and avenue q, little shop. Would have liked to see original cast wicked and Hamilton. I agree many of the musical are really geared toward tourists and suburbanites here and are just easy rehashed of pop culture references like Jersey boys, spongebob and countless others I had no interest in, including spiderman (which I understand was cutting edge from a tech perspective). Anyway, I think you underestimated tbe audience for this stuff. I don't know any NASCAR fans either, but I know it's a real thing

Not on Broadway, but I saw the Lion King in London a while back, and this year, the St. Petersburg ballet’s production of Swan Lake, both with the wife. I actually enjoyed both. Not to the point I’d run back but every once in a while would be ok with me. 

Not sure if it counts but in high school I took an 1/8 of mushrooms and went to the Ringling Bros. Circus in Hartford with a few friends. To this day, that’s still the strangest experience of my life.