• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

experiences de-restoring books

15 posts in this topic

Hi, I bought a 9.0 key book that is restored with a C-1 slight color touch. I want to send it to CGC to get the color touch removed, and then get it pressed/graded again. Does anyone have experience with trying to convert restored (esp. color touch) books to universal label?
Thanks

19 hours ago, kelsos said:

Hi, I bought a 9.0 key book that is restored with a C-1 slight color touch. I want to send it to CGC to get the color touch removed, and then get it pressed/graded again. Does anyone have experience with trying to convert restored (esp. color touch) books to universal label?
Thanks

I havent had much experience directly but from what I know and what stories I have heard. this would depend largely on the type or restoration is there bleed through was it amateur or professional CT? some CT removal will scrap or remove paper which many don't like and some are just after that blue label and allow the holes. 

what I suggest if your sending to CCS is to do a pre screen they will assess the book and tell you if the removal is good and if it might increase the grade. they do a fair assessment and give you the best choice for your book. 

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

what I suggest if your sending to CCS is to do a pre screen they will assess the book and tell you if the removal is good and if it might increase the grade. they do a fair assessment and give you the best choice for your book.

Bingo. They will in my experience only remove resto if it increases the book’s value. I had a 9.0 TTA 27 with C1 color touch. They declined to remove the resto. I sold the book as a 9.0 for over $6000. Not bad for a purple label. 

Also, it hits the grade less if the book is lower grade to begin with. I had a mid grade TTA 27 with CT. They basically cut it out... it graded as a 4.5 Universal. Also not bad. :) Let the pros do their thing. 

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"C" = amateur. Restoration removal will likely damage the book.

More than likely. Restoration removal will damage the book as the only way to remove CT is either to cut away the color-touched area or to scrape it until all color has been removed (leaving white scars across the cover). While this may not be as noticeable on a mid-grade book it will be painful to view on one currently considered VF/NM.

Unless you are planning to immediately flip the book, I would leave it as is. Otherwise, based on my own experience, I can almost guarantee you won't view the (expensive) restoration removal as any kind of improvement.

22 hours ago, kelsos said:

Thanks

I had recently submitted a X-Men 94 to a presser who told me it had C-1 color touch on the front cover.    He said it would have to get seriously gouged to remove it.  Basically cutting out the sections where it bled thru.   In my case I'd rather not have the book marred like that. So I left it as is.  It came back a 7.0 Purple.   Not sure how much the grade would've fallen if I had it done but I'd imagine at least 2 points

11 minutes ago, csaag said:

I had recently submitted a X-Men 94 to a presser who told me it had C-1 color touch on the front cover.    He said it would have to get seriously gouged to remove it.  Basically cutting out the sections where it bled thru.   In my case I'd rather not have the book marred like that. So I left it as is.  It came back a 7.0 Purple.   Not sure how much the grade would've fallen if I had it done but I'd imagine at least 2 points

"Captain Obvious" says: It would certainly depend upon the amount of color touch that needed to be removed from the book... 

I do applaud your decision to not do further damage to the book...  :golfclap:

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

More than likely. Restoration removal will damage the book as the only way to remove CT is either to cut away the color-touched area or to scrape it until all color has been removed (leaving white scars across the cover). While this may not be as noticeable on a mid-grade book it will be painful to view on one currently considered VF/NM.

Unless you are planning to immediately flip the book, I would leave it as is. Otherwise, based on my own experience, I can almost guarantee you won't view the (expensive) restoration removal as any kind of improvement.

The book is FF49, which sells for ~3k 9.0....I think its worth the chance in removing the color touch, no?

Just now, kelsos said:

Do they remove the book from the slab when they determine if its removable?

In my experience, for amateur CT, they haven’t had to. I had an ASM 13 7.0 and the aforementioned TTA 27 9.0 that they evaluated and declined on without cracking the slab.

1 hour ago, kelsos said:

The book is FF49, which sells for ~3k 9.0....I think its worth the chance in removing the color touch, no?

Depends on your intent. If you want to sell it, I would proceed on the assumption of a returned grade of Blue 7.5. If that means a profit for you, any higher returned grade after CT removal will just be a bonus. If you plan to keep it, leave it the way it is. CT removal will just make it fugly. And if you have an issue with purple labels in your collection then you probably shouldn't have bought the comic in the first place.

I've done this a few times, always with great results.

But, as OldRover said, it's less noticeable with a lower grade book, and that's what I've always done.

I had an FF2 and an X-Men 1, both with minor color touch and both were CGC 4.5

For the FF I sent it to Matt who removed the color touch which was on the spine and honestly I couldn't see where it happened. The book came back in blue 4.5

With the X-Men I cracked open the slab and used a black light to see where the color touch was and how prevalent. It was just a dot here and there. Again, sent it in and it came back blue 4.5 

Good luck :wishluck:

14 hours ago, kelsos said:

Do they remove the book from the slab when they determine if its removable?

if its CCS they analyze the book through the slab usually.. I mean if sometimes it calls for it they might discuss things but in general they do no remove the book from the slab when determining if CT removal is the way to go.