• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's PLANET OF THE APES directed by Wes Ball (TBD)
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Are you ready to go bananas for this next bit of news? 20th Century Fox sure hopes so, because it's recently been confirmed that the studio, under its Disney umbrella, has a new Planet of the Apes movie in early development. Looking to helm the next iteration of the Apes franchise is MAZE RUNNER film series director Wes Ball.

Based on Pierre Boule’s French novel of the same name, Planet of the Apes beat its chest to five films, beginning in 1968 with director Franklin J. Schaffner's live-action adaptation. Before long, viewers had gone ape for Schaffner's film, and characters from the series found their way onto toy store shelves. In 2001, Tim Burton rebooted the property with a one-off feature that starred Mark Wahlberg as Captain Leo Davidson and Helena Bonham Carter as Ari a central character in the film and daughter of Senator Sandar, a high-ranking member of the Ape Senate. Burton's take on the Apes franchise earned $362.1 million bananas at the worldwide box office, but failed to inspire any sequels. However, in 2011, RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES starring motion-capture master Andy Serkis hit the mark, and paved the way for two sequels from director Matt Reeves - DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2014) and its sequel, WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (2017). All told, the trilogy banked $1.68 billion in global returns.

Fresh off Ford V Ferrari becoming, barring a post-Thanksgiving crash, the first big Fox hit under the Disney umbrella, Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Fox/Disney is developing another go at Planet of the Apes. Wes Ball, who directed the hell out of the Maze Runner trilogy (which grossed $949 million worldwide on a combined budget of just $127 million despite looking and feeling like $100 million-plus action/sci-fi/horror fantasies) is attached, which I suppose is a consolation prize after Disney whacked his $170 million adaptation of The Mouse Guard. Slight digression, but that’s precisely the kind of big-budget, based on a “cult” IP biggie (or outright original) that we all wish Hollywood would make only to not show up in theaters when they do.

I am assuming that this will be a theatrical endeavor (and not a Disney+ original feature), although I don’t know if it will be a continuation of the previous trilogy’s continuity or a straight-up reboot. I have to hope that it’s a loose sequel, as the previous three films have an established fanbase and there’s hundreds of years’ worth of unexplored continuity between the end of War for the Planet of the Apes and what I presume will eventually be a loose remake of the initial 1968 blockbuster, itself based on a Pierre Boule novel and loosely remade in Tim Burton’s 2001 “reimagining” that earned $362.2 million on a $100 million budget but was so disliked that Fox didn’t chance a second go-around.  

The previous rebooted trilogy was a critical and commercial success, standing out as prime examples of a “reboot done right.” Rupert Wyatt’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes earned strong reviews and opened with $54 million in August of 2011, legging it out to $176 million domestic and a whopping $481 million worldwide on a $93 million budget. The 2-D feature was the second-biggest August grosser ever at the time, behind M. Night Shyamalan’s The Sixth Sense ($672 million in 1999). It also outgrossed the summer’s deluge of comic book superhero movies, earning more than Thor ($449 million), X-Men: First Class ($346 million), Green Lantern ($216 million), Captain America: The First Avenger ($376 million) and Cowboys and Aliens ($175 million).

Matt Reeves (Cloverfield and Let Me In), took over for the sequel. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was, partially thanks to a still-valuable 3-D conversion, a breakout sequel in the summer of 2014, opening with $71 million and legging out to $210 million domestic and $710 million worldwide on a $170 million budget. The acclaimed sequel, set ten years after the first film at a time when most of humanity was wiped out and the survivors were pitted against the now dominant apes, outgrossed The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($202 million/$709 million), Godzilla ($200 million/$529 million) and ended up just under Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($259 million/$714 million), X-Men: Days of Future Past ($233 million/$748 million) and Maleficent ($242 million/$758 million).

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: What’s new with Planet of the Apes?

STEVE ASBELL (20th Century CEO): We are expecting a draft very shortly, and it’s Wes Ball attached to direct. We hope to go by the late summer, early fall.

Disney is priming the pump

After nearly 50 years Marvel Comics has reacquired the rights to the iconic Planet of the Apes franchise and will release new comic adventures set in the series' the dystopian future. Planet of the Apes is one of the longest-lasting and most beloved science fiction franchises, and most recently regained popularity due to the prequel trilogy of films that ended in 2017.

In Marvel Comics' announcement about the upcoming comic series, the publisher acknowledges the massive cultural and societal impact that the Planet of the Apes franchise has had around the world, while also naming the deep history Marvel has with the apes. In 1974 Marvel began publishing black-and-white comics adaptations of the original films as well as new stories in the universe, before publishing full color adaptations of the first two Planet of the Apes films in 1975. Marvel's new Planet of the Apes comics will feature new stories, collections, and reprints, and while the publisher has yet to announce full creative teams for the series, Marvel did release a gorgeous teaser cover from Salvador Larocca:

Apes01.PNG.bc6ca9a0a613a46f91f7e021516c65a3.PNG

On 6/18/2022 at 9:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

Disney is priming the pump

Apes01.PNG.bc6ca9a0a613a46f91f7e021516c65a3.PNG

*Everyone frantically scouring the internet for which issue the 1st app of Caesar will be in* :yeehaw:

Now, more updates on Disney's Planet of the Apes movie plans have come to light. Deadline reporter Justin Kroll recently shared news that Ball is officially no longer involved in Paramount's Harbinger movie due to his commitments on Planet of the Apes 4. As part of this report, Kroll stated that Disney and 20th Century are very high on the most recent -script and are moving into the casting phase. This is where his tweet said that Disney is looking to cast someone who could "hopefully lead future installments of new trilogy of films."

On 8/22/2022 at 9:37 PM, D84 said:

How many :censored: reboots of this film will there be? Isn't this number 4?

There was the original theatrical series, the TV show in the early seventies, Tim Burton's movie, and the Reeves trilogy. Will this be an actual reboot, or a continuation? 

On 8/22/2022 at 10:30 PM, Larryw7 said:

There was the original theatrical series, the TV show in the early seventies, Tim Burton's movie, and the Reeves trilogy. Will this be an actual reboot, or a continuation? 

I prefer they just let it go. Move on, come up with new ideas, but Hollywood is unwilling to do this.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:21 AM, D84 said:

I prefer they just let it go. Move on, come up with new ideas, but Hollywood is unwilling to do this.

$71.3B USD in purchasing Fox leads to doing anything-everything to recup that investment. Including that Home Alone relaunch they distributed.

i loved the first two reboot movies from a few years back now. the third one was very disappointing to me, and seemingly only me, as so many people loved it the most of the three. 

in any event, i will watch this immediately when it comes out. i never get tired of POTA stuff. the mego POTA figures were my favorite toys as a kid in the 70s and the original 4 movies (number 5 should not even be included as they gave it no budget) were on cable all the time as i was growing up and i always watched them. 

Reeves wasn't involved in 'Rise', and for me that was the best of the three. I did enjoy the others, though. I stumbled across a paperback that was a sequel to 'Rise', and I enjoyed that enough to read it in a single sitting.

I still really enjoy the originals I grew up with too, enough that I'll give anything new a look.