• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA Issues
8 8

413 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Has anyone seen any changes from when GPA rolled out the new site?

Other than not having trouble signing in, I really haven't noticed any changes.

It might be a bit faster.

I still lament for the old site that allowed me to open and check multiple issues at a time. I really wish that feature was still possible.

Edited by VintageComics

13 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Has anyone seen any changes from when GPA rolled out the new site?

One change I have seen on the GPA website is that I am always signed in now, where I used to get signed out in the middle of using the site I now can shut down browsers, restart computer, go on a bender and still be signed in.

It would still be nice to see the extra click needed for viewing the sales data eliminated, is there any reason it can't just be displayed under the graph without additional click?

6 hours ago, GACollectibles said:

One change I have seen on the GPA website is that I am always signed in now, where I used to get signed out in the middle of using the site I now can shut down browsers, restart computer, go on a bender and still be signed in.

It would still be nice to see the extra click needed for viewing the sales data eliminated, is there any reason it can't just be displayed under the graph without additional click?

On the new GPA website, I noticed that I was not getting logged out as well.  About a month ago, it went back to requiring me to log in multiple times per day.  Still wish there was a much easier way to go from one issue to another.  The old site was better.

I also noticed not getting logged out (finally!)

I actually liked the new layout pretty much immediately... I tried the contact button to tell them, but that failed :-p

It took a little getting used to on when to use the front/back buttons vs when to use one of the new dropdowns or something, but I'm still liking it better.

Now if we could just get an API (even behind a higher paywall and a fair use legal agreement) that let us pull current prices... or maybe even just once-a-month EOM averages... or... 

Difficult problem to make sure that you don't end up giving your product away for someone to resell, but man it would be amazing to be able to hook into that amazing dataset!

Maybe just be able to retrieve the previous month (where a sale existed) for Universal sales of a subset of prices (just show 9.8, 9.2, 8.5, 8.0, 7.0, 5.0, 2.0 or something)

after cancelling my subscription to GPA last year when they ruined the site, i finally caved today and signed on again. gocollect has the same info for the last year or so but i want to look back over time to see what a book has done, so i felt i needed GPA. man, what a terrible site it is now. 

can anyone tell me how the f*&k to save a specific issue?? it tells you how to cilck the star next to a whole title, or a specific issue grade, but neither of those is what i want. i want to save, for example, hulk 180 to my list. not in a specific grade, the whole book. even their "help" button is useless. 

why do they make simple things like this so hard now, where it was so plain before? i wish gocollect could add older data in, so i didnt need to give these guys my money. very disappointed. 

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

after cancelling my subscription to GPA last year when they ruined the site, i finally caved today and signed on again. gocollect has the same info for the last year or so but i want to look back over time to see what a book has done, so i felt i needed GPA. man, what a terrible site it is now. 

can anyone tell me how the f*&k to save a specific issue?? it tells you how to cilck the star next to a whole title, or a specific issue grade, but neither of those is what i want. i want to save, for example, hulk 180 to my list. not in a specific grade, the whole book. even their "help" button is useless. 

why do they make simple things like this so hard now, where it was so plain before? i wish gocollect could add older data in, so i didnt need to give these guys my money. very disappointed. 

I'm not impressed. I signed up and everything went fine for a month or two. Then suddenly I wasn't able to access the site at all even though my credit card was still being charged. Every time I tried to log in, I received a message that I needed to renew my account. After multiple times of being caught in this impervious loop, I cancelled my account. And I've never received any acknowledgment from them regarding my account or my cancellation. It's as if the Hal 9000 has taken over their site: "I'm sorry, but I can't allow you to do that, Dave..." 

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

You can add individual issues by clicking the plus sign next to a specific certified copy.  It is intended to be ones that you own and they are added to your collection which there is a tab and you can view.

It is not what you are looking for but I think that is the closest there is.

I would love it if you could set up a want list of an issue and GPA could search the live listings for that issue.  Even better if you could denote a grade/range.

my bad- on my earlier post, i was trying to recall how to save a specific issue, sure that i had used to do that. but in fact i got used to using gocollect for the last year, who make it very simple to save specific issues. 

boy, that's easy to get used to. luckily, george at gpa was kind enough to refund my monthly membership fee and cancel my membership, due to my complaining about their site here.

it's good to know that despite virtually ignoring all of us last year who were so unhappy with the site redesign, and the myriad problems, he is very responsive to people who complain about them here on the boards. 

I’ve been using the new GPA again lately am I’m pleasantly surprised with its look and functionality.  I was critical at first, but aside from too many clicks to dig down to the sales, which frankly I can’t think of a solution to that wouldn’t leave too much out in sight all the time... and rollover pop ups wouldn’t stay open to take notes... but, overall it’s doing the job for me.  Go collect also has drill down issues, but  it has a lot of data and scans too. Which is nice 

Edited by Aman619

Steve Krug published a famous book on human/computer interaction design and web usability titled “don’t make me think”. 

While I like the more modern feel to much of the GPA redesign, they’ve totally messed up the UX and interaction design. Too many clicks to get to sales data. Hard to save titles/issues etc for research vs your own collection (as u/telerites points out above). I have to hunt for functionality - which is worse than having to think. 

Frankly, I like the face-lift (CSS) but I dislike trying to drive the site and get things done. I hope the team are strongly focused on rectifying this and reach out to this community for rounds of usability testing and feedback. 

4 hours ago, Arkham said:

Steve Krug published a famous book on human/computer interaction design and web usability titled “don’t make me think”. 

While I like the more modern feel to much of the GPA redesign, they’ve totally messed up the UX and interaction design. Too many clicks to get to sales data. Hard to save titles/issues etc for research vs your own collection (as u/telerites points out above). I have to hunt for functionality - which is worse than having to think. 

Frankly, I like the face-lift (CSS) but I dislike trying to drive the site and get things done. I hope the team are strongly focused on rectifying this and reach out to this community for rounds of usability testing and feedback. 

I’m not a web designer, so can’t tell them how to achieve fewer clicks.  Part of the issue seems like a sales database can never be perfect for everybody’s needs of the data. For instance, they have chosen to begin our view with as few rows as possible.  This makes sense.  And for popular books, I agree that this should be the default view for each issue.  When an issue sells often, all we really need is the rolling averages of sales, right?  So for these books it’s as tight as can be and we don’t have to do any tedious drill down clicking.

but for the books that don’t sell often, and never sold in many grade levels, that’s when it gets tedious.  All I can think of as a solution would be a --script trigger based on the total,number of sales for the book when the page loads, that opens with all grades WITH sales opened down to the actual sales...  and a button to collapse all issues.  The cost here would be more scrolling cause it all won’t fit on one screen.  Maybe this is a compromise solution 

but any solution will be dependent on out personal use and that is hard to program.  Gotta make choices. Individual settings would seem to be the solution, like only show 9.8, or grades above 9.0 for a HG or modern collector. But would that slow the experience even more? I dunno. 

Edited by Aman619

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

One thing that helped me enjoy GPA more was learning that you can get right to a particular issue by typing (for example) "Fantastic Four #48" in the search bar.  The number sign is important.  Definitely saved me some clicks.

What a fantastic tip!  I just tried it on ASM 129 as an example and can't believe how easy that was.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:36 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 11/16/2020 at 8:01 AM, Arkham said:

Too many clicks to get to sales data.

That's been my number one complaint since day one. 

Do you mean on the latest, updated site?

Me too, but it isn't changing.

They have improved the site greatly since the new release so I'm happy with that. Tons of stuff has been addressed from the rollout a year ago.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:19 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

One thing that helped me enjoy GPA more was learning that you can get right to a particular issue by typing (for example) "Fantastic Four #48" in the search bar.  The number sign is important.  Definitely saved me some clicks.

This is relatively new and a GREAT feature!