• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite Christmas comic book story?

20 posts in this topic

I doubt it’s the best, but the one I have fondest memories of is ‘Have Yourself A Sandman Little Christmas’ from Marvel Team-Up 1, also first read in an oversized Grab Bag Treasury Edition.

6 minutes ago, comicjack said:

The best of the best would be Christmas for Shacktown which is reprinted in this issue

Scan0028.thumb.jpg.370257e74e94410424c7fa604c1e12c2.jpg

It is great. Read it in the recent Barks series from Fantagraphics.

From what I remember, I also go with "A Christmas for Shacktown". Despite the cover, it's really a Uncle Scrooge history, especially after the first couple of pages.. It's an excellent overall history, however the last 4-5 pages could better, definitelly one level bellow the rest of it. If they were on the same level, "A Christmas for Shacktown" would be on tier 1 of the best Barks stories.

Uncanny X-Men #341 - Cannonball vs Gladiator

tumblr_n7m5pkHuDI1rvm5qqo6_540.jpg

tumblr_n7m5pkHuDI1rvm5qqo7_540.jpg

What makes it a Christmas story, you ask? Glad you did! The date is Christmas Eve in NYC and the remaining X-Men around (this was right after the whole Onslaught thing) are out in NYC, and Sam (Cannonball) is just trying to get some last-minute shopping done for his rather large family back home in Kentucky - literally, he pulls out a huge list, says  he'll see the rest of them later, and as he's leaving, Beast quips "We'll never see him again." lol So, Sam is in a department store when Gladiator teleports into the store and attacks him.

That's as far as I am willing to take this synopsis. Want  to know the rest of the story? "Read the book!"  ;)

:D

-slym

29 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Just thought of another dedicated Christmas comic, DC Special Series 21:

DC Special Series 21.jpg

The one with the early Frank Miller Batman story.

Good choice. 

"Silent Night, Deadly Night" from Batman 239. The first time I read the story it was a stripped book with only half the cover. It's a nice story, with a very touching ending. But even in a heartwarming story, Batman is still a badass.

Batman_239_03.jpg

What The--?! 10

"I'll be Doom For Christmas" by John Byrne, in which Santa is injured when he lands on Castle Doom and triggers the defence grid.  Realizing Christmas must continue, only one man can take the place of Claus...DOOM!!!!

What_The_10_b.jpg