• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How "seriously" is OA taken by the mainstream art world?

91 posts in this topic

Is OA generally considered fine art and taken seriously by the art world, or is it thought of as something lesser? My sense is that it's considered sort of provincial, but I don't know (just to be clear, I don't share this opinion).

Edited by NewCollector101

8 minutes ago, grapeape said:

OA= comic art? Is it recognized by the fine art community? Depends on who you talk to. I see crossovers all the time. That is their are certain artists that have created pieces that transcend a category and could-should be admired by “art” lovers period

I care very little for snobbish attitudes in any community. I get that we all to some degree categorize art and have opinions of what’s great what’s mediocre and what down right stinks.

But to ignore art because it “doesn’t measure up to fine art standards—-violates the instincts of mankind.

Love art for arts sake. What moves you? Why does it move you?

There are threads that have mentioned crossover art communities see Roy Lichtenstein, Frank Frazetta and more.

Welcome to CGC. Most criticisms here are meant to better the conversation. Some are for brutal comedy. Hang in there keep asking thoughtful questions and you’ll become a valued member here.

if you ever have a question about something you’re thinking of buying you can PM me. Again welcome.

🍇. 🦍 

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I'm excited to be here, right now it seems like there's a ton to learn.

The question has been debated to death here. To rehash would mean beating a dead horse more deader. If you care to read the all round-and-round search for the thread. Otherwise I’ll recap it for you: some here believe that original comic art is fine art. Others believe that institutions will never respect it as fine art outside of museums for illustration art. The end. 

16 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I think it’s a “When’s Liefeld gonna be in the Louvre?” kinda question. 

I’ve answered this one so many ways on here... Hoping someone else will take a turn. :shy:

Yeah that's sorta what I mean, I'm not trying to debate whether it is fine art, just wondering if anybody has a sense of the attitude in the larger art world.

21 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I think it’s a “When’s Liefeld gonna be in the Louvre?” kinda question. 

I’ve answered this one so many ways on here... Hoping someone else will take a turn. :shy:

" I can't draw feet" - Liefeld exhibit at the Louvre

Yeah it’s an interesting question for someone wading in. My thinking is this. Fine art eats it’s own. Basquiat is a genius in my opinion. Most artists find fame long after they’re gone. There are circles of sycophants and prudes that decide what is art.

Better for the individual human to find art with their own eyes and heart. If you’re going to stay collecting art start looking for what pieces make you go wow!!

Theres a thread here on all the comic art dealers and CAF is a great site.

1) you can view 1000’s of personally collected art pages

2) links to dealers

3) members selling their art

Good luck!!!

I think some of the "downgrading" done towards comic book art is that it is production art, ie it is created as part of a process (in other words it is not art for arts sake), and is not the finished product (the comic book being the finished product). Obviously commissions and other pieced not done for the purpose of publication would not fall under this umbrella (though may get lumped in due to it being the same subject matter). 

I dont hold this opinion, but I've heard it said. 

The problem* with all art is the price is not commensurate with the object in hand -unless you "get" it.

This is true for Basquiat. ($100m what the what?!!?!!)

This is true for Warhol ($100m what the what?!!?!!)

This is true for Jack Kirby, John Romita, Robert Crumb...etc (500k, 450k, 750k.)

This is true for  anybody that "you collect" (even $100 for a talking heads panel page...just show your grandmother or cousin or anybody that doesn't collect comics lol )

If you "get" it -genius (one and all; priceless actually). If you don't...stupid is as stupid does and another example of fools being parted with their money.

Just ask...anyone ;)

*Only in the context of OP, not in reality...there is no problem :)

58 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I think some of the "downgrading" done towards comic book art is that it is production art, ie it is created as part of a process (in other words it is not art for arts sake), and is not the finished product (the comic book being the finished product). Obviously commissions and other pieced not done for the purpose of publication would not fall under this umbrella (though may get lumped in due to it being the same subject matter). 

I dont hold this opinion, but I've heard it said. 

In my view, comic art can be "fine" in the qualitative sense, but not as "fine art". As mentioned, it is part of a process to produce a finished product. 

With the exception of covers, pages of OA are not designed to stand on their own. They are intended to move a story along. So, an artist who respects the story line, and helps move along the story, may not be the best draftsman in the world, but he may be an excellent storyteller. With fine art, the "story" is contained on the canvas, and maybe, what the viewer also imagines. Covers stand on their own, but only in the sense they are like well prepared advertisements for the contents. I don't think they fall within the definition of "fine art" either, except to the extent that illustration art is considered fine art (and that is a subject I can't answer). 

5 hours ago, NewCollector101 said:

Is OA generally considered fine art and taken seriously by the art world, or is it thought of as something lesser? My sense is that it's considered sort of provincial, but I don't know (just to be clear, I don't share this opinion).

I honestly don't think anyone in the fine art knows of or thinks about comic art outside of a passing acknowledgment of Peanuts strips. I think most fine art people think of comics and comic art as part of the overall collectibles market.

Good opinions all around.  The funny thing is, it can be easy to forget that the vast majority of fine art in existence are obscure creations by obscure artists that can be purchased on the (super) cheap.  There are myriad exhibitions for myriad unknown fine artists around the world any given week.

OP gave me an idea for a thread...

I think the general rule of thumb goes like this:

Moebius gets the pass.

Crumb gets the pass.

Everyone else is a production illustrator (in their eyes). Maybe talented and capable of a “piece” or two of something exceptional, but generally not thought much of (or really thought of much for that matter).

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Everyone else is a production illustrator (in their eyes). Maybe talented and capable of a “piece” or two of something exceptional, but generally not thought much of (or really thought of much for that matter).

In the Americas. Completely opposite in Europe. That continent has a lot of problems, definitely of their own making, but re: comics as art...they got that right. In practice and follow-through.