• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to New York! Where Should I shop
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I visiting some family in New York in about a week, and I have never been before.  I want to check out a few comic shops while I am up there, but I am unsure of where to go.  I obviously wanted to stop by Midtown Comics just to say I have been , but other than that I do not know where to go.   I am looking for mostly cheap back issues, some cheap keys, and maybe some new issues.  Not the biggest fan of pop culture things just looking to work on completing some runs.  Any advice on where to shop would be wonderful. Thanks!

2 hours ago, poorcollector said:

I visiting some family in New York in about a week, and I have never been before.  I want to check out a few comic shops while I am up there, but I am unsure of where to go.  I obviously wanted to stop by Midtown Comics just to say I have been , but other than that I do not know where to go.   I am looking for mostly cheap back issues, some cheap keys, and maybe some new issues.  Not the biggest fan of pop culture things just looking to work on completing some runs.  Any advice on where to shop would be wonderful. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Foley said:

@Buzzetta

Surely you have something you could copy and paste here by now? lol 

Sigh... (Cut and pasted from the last time) 

I really need to make a travel guide for comic collectors visiting New York.

The first thing I will say is, SKIP the comic shops. 

UPDATE: It's Christmas time in the city...   seriously? 

Go to:

Want more ideas?  Subscribe to:

Feeling adventurous?

• LONG ISLAND - There are many places you can take a trip out by train and then uber to come see... 

Speaking of which... make sure you have the following:

• Uber App
  • Subway App
  • LIRR App - You never know...,

If you are in the West Village

• West Fourth Street Basketball Court (The Cage)  This is a very famous court where NBA and Amateur ballers go to play REAL basketball.  There is always a crowd watching. I will watch better b-ball there than most anything put on TV. 
  • Down the Hatch and Atomic Wings - I honestly love the wings there.  When a boardie wanted to meet up one time in NYC I met them at Atomic Wings... they loved the wings there... 
  • Roccos Pastry of Bleeker Street - OMG... place is amazing.  We wanted good pastry and cappuccino a few weeks ago.  It was either here or go to Brooklyn to Fortunato's Brothers Bakery.  Since the L train sucks sewage through a straw we stayed in the city. Rocco's is amazing and has later hours than most other city bakeries. 

For the love of god though... you are in arguably the greatest city in the world.  Stay the hell away from comic shops. You are basically wasting your time doing the equivalent of dumpster diving to hopefully find something that justifies all that time spent.  Instead you could be seeing a city and experiencing it in a way that goes well above and beyond drawn figures in tights. 

Also... one more thing...

Stay to your right. 

I cry BS on that.  Seriously... don't bother with comics. 

Seriously... I may have to make a boardie travel guide... "New York's hottest club is... "

bill-hader-snl-stefon_1.jpg.93ab120c1ffea7b9a6e2c8df66cd6659.jpg

@poorcollector

If you venture out to Brooklyn there are 2 interesting places. 

Pinocchio - its on McDonald Ave right off the F train. Google it for their #. Get their hours. Its an old couple running the shop, and its your last chance to see what the old school comic shops look like. You can bargain with them within reason. ie A few $5 books for $3-3.5 each etc. And the owner woman will talk your head off about the old days.

E&H Boutique - again google it. The have dollar bins of a whole mix of comics, some cool stuff if you spend the time. They also have posters , games, and lots of other collectibles. Also a friendly, talkative staff.

Have fun!

Mysterious Time Machine - 418 6th Ave, New York, New York 10011 - Roger's shop blows Midtown Comics away as far as back issues. He's been in the West Village since the 1980's and he's just a great guy to banter and bargain with. 

And i'll vouch for Pinocchio in Brooklyn - it's been there forever. I used to go there back in the 80's and would walk out with a stack of silver marvels for $20. Wish I could travel back in time lol

I’m gonna be in NYC next week, too! Let’s meet at CBGB’s and see Talking Heads or we can hang out at Duart Film Labs  

i might have to live there half the year (I don’t wanna) now and no, Los Angeles is arguably the best city in the world. 

buzz is kinda right on the rest of his point

but that’s not what you asked, is it? I’ll curse st marks comics till the day I die. Oh they went out of business. No? Gee wizzz

Edited by NoMan

13 hours ago, cigars&comix said:

@poorcollector

If you venture out to Brooklyn there are 2 interesting places. 

Pinocchio - its on McDonald Ave right off the F train. Google it for their #. Get their hours. Its an old couple running the shop, and its your last chance to see what the old school comic shops look like. You can bargain with them within reason. ie A few $5 books for $3-3.5 each etc. And the owner woman will talk your head off about the old days.

E&H Boutique - again google it. The have dollar bins of a whole mix of comics, some cool stuff if you spend the time. They also have posters , games, and lots of other collectibles. Also a friendly, talkative staff.

Have fun!

While I find the Pinochio lady amusing, If your going to schlep into Brooklyn go to Joe Kotch. As for E&H boutique...I went there for their dollar box and found about 1/3 of a long box of comics, half of them "free comic book day" comics...total waste of time. Also, once upon a time the Pinocchio lady was not so savy about ebay trends, now she is. Once she realized she sold multiple sets of the 80s rocket racoon mini out of her dollar box she started to pay attention.

Edited by the blob

Roger and midtown are in areas you may be visiting Anyway as a tourist. I would not wander to outer boroughs to hunt comics and I live in one. Not saying there is nothing to see (or eat) out here, just don't come for comics.

Edited by the blob

Roger doesn't have the back issue stock he once had. Very poor management on his part. 

Pinocchio is a ripoff. Even if you're in Brooklyn, don't go there. Use to sell me FN Sliver-Age Marvels at NM prices back in the 80's. I haven't been back since 93. I still live in the same area.

Since you're going to be in NYC in a week. Your best bet is the Big Apple Con, Christmas Show on Dec. 14th. It's in mid-town Manhattan, right across from Madison Square Garden and Macy's near 34th St. All types of dealers will be there. From high-end Gold and Sliver Age (Overstreet advisor type) dealers, to bulk dealers trying blow out their overstock and collector/flipper/dealers selling their extras.  

https://www.bigapplecc.com/

Edited by taro90

1 hour ago, taro90 said:

Roger doesn't have the back issue stock he once had. Very poor management on his part. 

Pinocchio is a ripoff. Even if you're in Brooklyn, don't go there. Use to sell me FN Sliver-Age Marvels at NM prices back in the 80's. I haven't been back since 93. I still live in the same area.

Since you're going to be in NYC in a week. Your best bet is the Big Apple Con, Christmas Show on Dec. 14th. It's in mid-town Manhattan, right across from Madison Square Garden and Macy's near 34th St. All types of dealers will be there. From high-end Gold and Sliver Age (Overstreet advisor type) dealers, to bulk dealers trying blow out their overstock and collector/flipper/dealers selling their extras.  

https://www.bigapplecc.com/

Roger had to move and reduced his space by 80%, there's limited room in the new place. Not sure how it is bad management. I am pretty sure he makes a reasonable offer to anyone who tries to sell him stuff. But yeah, I doubt he is pounding the pavement looking for collections.