• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay seller alert - cgc*comics

37 posts in this topic

You may have seen these guys on eBay offering bronze-age 9.9 and 10.0 comics beginning at $0.99 and thought about giving them a try. I figured it was worth $10 to see...

Obviously, they are not affiliated with CGC. In fact, CGC might want to bust them for trademark infringement.

The books I received were advertised as 10.0 and the pictures in the auction looked pretty nice. The books I received were low mid-grade. Every book had significant and obvious flaws (torn covers, water damage, bent corners). The seller swears the pictures were of the books he sent but they obviously weren't. A couple of the books I received had broad white bands on the spine that were not in the pictures.

The books took a month to arrive after I paid for them and they were sent without bags and boards. Some of the damage to my books may have occurred during shipping.

There is a lot of feddback if you dig back about overgrading and late shipping. Every person who has posted negative feedback has received retaliatory feedback calling them "communists", "consumer terrorists", "bad guys," etc. One guy complained about the lack of bags and boards and the seller responded, "Buy your own bags and boards Mr. Cheapskate."

But, there is also quite a bit of positive feedback which I can't understand from my four transactions. I could find better books than these at my local store or in the $0.50 cent boxes at any con.

I waited a month for my books, too. When I e-mailed him and asked about it, he said he had finals and for me to lay off. I, of course, told him that he shouldn't be selling during finals if he couldn't keep up. It got inflamatory after that. That must be why he sent me 8.0's instead of the listed 9.8's.

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

im the leading bidder on 3 of comic-keys auctions ending tonight. i bought a DD raw 9.4 from him recently, it arrived on time, packaged well, and seems to be in as good as condition as the pic he posted. Is his stuff restored or something? Is it possible did i get lucky? And most importantly do i need to cancel my bids on the books im currently winning?!?!

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

im the leading bidder on 3 of comic-keys auctions ending tonight. i bought a DD raw 9.4 from him recently, it arrived on time, packaged well, and seems to be in as good as condition as the pic he posted. Is his stuff restored or something? Is it possible did i get lucky? And most importantly do i need to cancel my bids on the books im currently winning?!?!

do a search of the forums here for his ebay handle and find out all you need.

and yeah, cancel cancel cancel.

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

893whatthe.gif I am always surprised other collectors haven't heard of him. This should tell you all you need to know...

http://www.cnsp.com/brrempel/keys/index.htm

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

popcorn.gif

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

893whatthe.gif

how're your restoration detection skills?

if poor, try this thread out.

btw, forumites "Burntboy" and "Sterlingcomics" have stories to tell you about comic-keys

Great. I'm glad i provided some entertainment, thanks for alerting me to him. At least i only gave him $100, but $%@^, what a loser. How should i cancel my bids/not give him another dime without getting negged?

... And does anyone want a NM, guaranteed unrestored DD #38?

He actually came here a couple years back & tried to defend his shoddy grading. Don't know if the thread is still in the database but it was quite comical.

Great. I'm glad i provided some entertainment, thanks for alerting me to him. At least i only gave him $100, but $%@^, what a loser. How should i cancel my bids/not give him another dime without getting negged?

... And does anyone want a NM, guaranteed unrestored DD #38?

Never having bought from him myself, maybe you got lucky. But there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the guy sells RESTORED books. He's a trimmer and color toucher from what I've heard.

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

Welcome to the boards. A google search for "comic keys" brings up my page as the first two links. Better to learn now then never though. Send your purchase to CGC for a restoration check and if it's restored he'll give you your money back.

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Lois, this isn't my Batman glass.

For some reason I was reminded immediately of that Peter Griffin quote. confused-smiley-013.gif

whoa whoa whoa. hold up.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Lois, this isn't my Batman glass.

For some reason I was reminded immediately of that Peter Griffin quote. confused-smiley-013.gif

Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your out there and you find that fugging dog.