• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Me too. I think it will end between ONE MILLION DOLLARS! and a little over 1.1 million.  To quote Number Two some 20 years ago - "A million dollars isn't exactly a lot of money these days". There are a lot of very very rich people out there and I think at least two of them will be willing to dish out at least a million on this one especially considering how rare one of this grade comes around. 

Alright so it’s settled then. It’s going to break 1 million 😁. I’ll definitely look forward to following this auction!

8 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Alright so it’s settled then. It’s going to break 1 million 😁. I’ll definitely look forward to following this auction!

Well , I've been wrong once or twice before. Actually thousands of times. Actually,  I'm probably wrong more than I'm right. 

A million dollars for a comic? To me it had better be the top or second best copy.  But, if I’m right it’s kinda depressing cause it means that this exciting ride in which comics have reached unheard of prices will have peaked for lack of interested buyers. To date you must have a very strong attachment to comics... AND. A loose million lying around.  You combine both requirements and it’s a tiny pool. 

if only there were a series of top grossing movies or something to boost interest!  Nah...

7 hours ago, Aman619 said:

A million dollars for a comic? To me it had better be the top or second best copy.  But, if I’m right it’s kinda depressing cause it means that this exciting ride in which comics have reached unheard of prices will have peaked for lack of interested buyers. To date you must have a very strong attachment to comics... AND. A loose million lying around.  You combine both requirements and it’s a tiny pool. 

if only there were a series of top grossing movies or something to boost interest!  Nah...

For Action Comics 1 and Detective Comics 27, those are the exceptions. They can break 1 mil and not be the top or second best. Anything else you’re 100% correct and it would take the most premiere copy to do it, and of course there’s only a short list of books that could. I mean even the single highest NM All Star Comics #8 and 2nd highest NM Captain America Comics #1 of 2 that exist came close but couldn’t breach that threshold.

On 10/10/2020 at 5:58 PM, zen514 said:

I think it can surprise us. 1 million plus perharps!!

Gonna keep my prediction 1!

If a T206 Honus Wagner psa 1 can sell for over a Million 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/goldin-to-offer-t206-wagner-in-upcoming-auction/amp/

If I had the choice I would buy a tec27 or ac1. As a collector and as an investment has great potential if looking at the growth of baseball cards. 

Market is hot for collectibles🔥

On 10/20/2020 at 10:22 PM, tth2 said:

It's funny how we can all see the same thing and draw completely different conclusions.  I can't believe there are as many as 6 people willing to spend more than $1m on a comic!

^This. If I had to guess (and I haven't swum in that pool for a while) I would say there are probably 10-15 who would be willing to drop a million on a single book, but for most of them that right book has not become available yet.

But when you use the "there are lots of millionaires, so there must be more people willing to spend a million on X" you wonder why aren't other pop collectibles selling for a million dollars or more? Millionaires love James Bond, but I don't see any of them dropping a million dollars on James Bond items (Not counting the Aston Martin, which belongs to a different group of collectors). Millions of people love love Led Zeppelin, but when the art for the Zeppelin I cover came up a few months ago it couldn't come close to a million. How come? I love Godzilla as do many wealthy people in Asia, but none of them are dropping a million on Godzilla collectibles. There is just a huge, huge level of difference between six figures and seven figures, even in today's world of spiraling dollars and stocks that trade for 1000x earnings.

We have a really tiny, specialty hobby no matter how big we wish it was. When I think about what Ernie Gerber used to say - that several titles in the GA used to sell a million an issue, yet out of those million+ buyers, there was literally only one person who saved every single comic published for the first 20 years, it's amazing to me that we might have even a dozen people willing to spend a million dollars on one of those books now.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

^This. If I had to guess (and I haven't swum in that pool for a while) I would say there are probably 10-15 who would be willing to drop a million on a single book, but for most of them that right book has not become available yet.

But when you use the "there are lots of millionaires, so there must be more people willing to spend a million on X" you wonder why aren't other pop collectibles selling for a million dollars or more? Millionaires love James Bond, but I don't see any of them dropping a million dollars on James Bond items (Not counting the Aston Martin, which belongs to a different group of collectors). Millions of people love love Led Zeppelin, but when the art for the Zeppelin I cover came up a few months ago it couldn't come close to a million. How come? I love Godzilla as do many wealthy people in Asia, but none of them are dropping a million on Godzilla collectibles. There is just a huge, huge level of difference between six figures and seven figures, even in today's world of spiraling dollars and stocks that trade for 1000x earnings.

We have a really tiny, specialty hobby no matter how big we wish it was. When I think about what Ernie Gerber used to say - that several titles in the GA used to sell a million an issue, yet out of those million+ buyers, there was literally only one person who saved every single comic published for the first 20 years, it's amazing to me that we might have even a dozen people willing to spend a million dollars on one of those books now.

well said

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

No that’s a fair point. I guess I wonder though if all those things you’re bringing up are potentially million dollar items? You brought up a lot of collectibles I personally know nothing about. Some of those might simply be worth tens of thousands or several hundred thousand because thats what the market is willing to bear. I’m sure there’s millionaires out there who are willing to drop that kind of coin on something Star Wars related for example, but it still takes the “right” collectible. The super rare rocket shooting Bobba Fett action figure tops out at anywhere from like $70K-$200K depending on condition. Thats simply what people are “willing” to spend on it. I mean I could definitely be wrong, but I know nothing about what some of those items you discussed sell for. Where as a Detective Comics #27 is quantifiable. If a 6.0 sells for almost $800K, and a 7.0 goes up for sale, you know it’s going to sell for more, quite possibly a significant amount more, like several hundred thousand or more, more. So I get what you’re saying about the other collectibles and that just because there are many millionaires doesn’t mean collectibles will have a million or more spent on them, but I’m not sure what the sales data says about those compared to the item in question.

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Where as a Detective Comics #27 is quantifiable. If a 6.0 sells for almost $800K, and a 7.0 goes up for sale, you know it’s going to sell for more, quite possibly a significant amount more, like several hundred thousand or more, more. 

Only if there are buyers willing to spend that much.  Your logic did not work for certain big books recently that garnered $1m+ predictions on this board but fell short.  The D27 may do it, but since comics have no intrinsic value, it will only be because two people were willing to pay over $1m.  That is true for every collectible, and the point being made that not many collectibles garner $1m prices is a good one.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Only if there are buyers willing to spend that much.  Your logic did not work for certain big books recently that garnered $1m+ predictions on this board but fell short.  The D27 may do it, but since comics have no intrinsic value, it will only be because two people were willing to pay over $1m.  That is true for every collectible, and the point being made that not many collectibles garner $1m prices is a good one.

What’s an example of a book recently?

11 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Millions of people love love Led Zeppelin, but when the art for the Zeppelin I cover came up a few months ago it couldn't come close to a million.

Interesting, I hadn't even heard about this.  I see now that it sold for $325k at Christies (I'm assuming that includes the BP). 

That seems surprisingly light to me, particularly in light of comic OA collectors paying much more than that for a small panel drawn by Herb Trimpe.

16 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Interesting, I hadn't even heard about this.  I see now that it sold for $325k at Christies (I'm assuming that includes the BP). 

That seems surprisingly light to me, particularly in light of comic OA collectors paying much more than that for a small panel drawn by Herb Trimpe.

That's a toughie for sure, and yeah the Hulk 180 art sold for double, $657K. For me, I'd prefer the OA of the first cameo of Wolverine over the Led Zeppelin art. And I do enjoy Zeppelin and love that classic hard rock. I guess I wouldn't be considered a super fan though who would pay over $300K for it, even if I had it. More a comic book super fan, but still. Both definitely extremely meaningful pieces in their own right.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Where as a Detective Comics #27 is quantifiable. If a 6.0 sells for almost $800K, and a 7.0 goes up for sale, you know it’s going to sell for more, quite possibly a significant amount more, like several hundred thousand or more, more.

I totally get it and agree in theory, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Just like the multiples of guide that "entry level" copies of books tend to sell for doesn't always apply to high grade copies as you reach prices in the stratosphere (The high grade Action 13 sale from not long ago springs to mind as compared to what low-mid grade copies sell for).

Rick got a bonafide offer of $800K+ for his 5.0 copy of Detective 27, so it seems like a no-brainer then that the Rockford copy at 6.0 should fly off the shelf at 900K, but it's still sitting there. Makes perfect sense also that a 7.0 should easily get 100K more than that, but until it happens, it ain't happened.

No that’s a fair point. I guess I wonder though if all those things you’re bringing up are potentially million dollar items? You brought up a lot of collectibles I personally know nothing about. Some of those might simply be worth tens of thousands or several hundred thousand because thats what the market is willing to bear. I’m sure there’s millionaires out there who are willing to drop that kind of coin on something Star Wars related for example, but it still takes the “right” collectible. The super rare rocket shooting Bobba Fett action figure tops out at anywhere from like $70K-$200K depending on condition. Thats simply what people are “willing” to spend on it. I mean I could definitely be wrong, but I know nothing about what some of those items you discussed sell for. Where as a Detective Comics #27 is quantifiable. If a 6.0 sells for almost $800K, and a 7.0 goes up for sale, you know it’s going to sell for more, quite possibly a significant amount more, like several hundred thousand or more, more. So I get what you’re saying about the other collectibles and that just because there are many millionaires doesn’t mean collectibles will have a million or more spent on them, but I’m not sure what the sales data says about those compared to the item in question.

but we don't know that (that just because book A sells for "x" that doesn't mean book B will sell for "x+"...we can presume that, or even assume that, but comics don't always sell higher for a myriad of reasons...

Well then I'd like to make a proclamation lol. To the 6 or less people who are willing to spend a million on comics and only reside on these boards, please buy this Detective Comics 27 for over a million to prove me right!

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

What’s an example of a book recently?

Captain America 1 (CGC 9.4 Reilly/SF pedigree).  The rationale of one well known poster on this Board who has a blog tracking key comic sales was that based on a litany of prior prices paid for lesser graded CA 1s, "then this particular comic is a $1,000,000+ book."

But, it wasn't a $1M book.  Despite the fact it was from one of the best pedigrees of all.  It didn't even beat out the price paid for the unpedigreed All-Star 8 (CGC 9.4) two years earlier.  

19 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Captain America 1 (CGC 9.4 Reilly/SF pedigree).  The rationale of one well known poster on this Board who has a blog tracking key comic sales was that based on a litany of prior prices paid for lesser graded CA 1s, "then this particular comic is a $1,000,000+ book."

But, it wasn't a $1M book.  Despite the fact it was from one of the best pedigrees of all.  It didn't even beat out the price paid for the unpedigreed All-Star 8 (CGC 9.4) two years earlier.  

Ok, I'll concede on that book and I also definitely thought it would break 1 mil.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

but we don't know that (that just because book A sells for "x" that doesn't mean book B will sell for "x+"...we can presume that, or even assume that, but comics don't always sell higher for a myriad of reasons...

Yeah I’ll admit I’m a bit perplexed by these two copies of Captain America Comics 1 I noticed on Heritage. Definitely don’t understand why the 2.0 went for the same not long after the 3.5. Can only assume the pandemic played a role. Because generally I feel my logic is pretty sound. We can say without a shadow of doubt that if a Superman 1 CGC .5 sells for X amount, a Superman 1 CGC 3.0 will sell for A amount more, and considerably more. I would have thought the same logic would apply to a grade deferential with these two Cap 1’s, but not for some reason. Also definitely makes me feel the owner of the 3.5 is a lucky SOB!

891511AF-3577-4333-911F-DC8B29194D75.jpeg

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

presume you are talking about the small panel that contained the first appearance of Wolverine, a character whom you could mention virtually anywhere in the world and likely the person you mention it to will know of whom you speak.  As a cultural artifact is makes mincemeat of the Led Zepellin cover.