• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, bluechip said:

presume you are talking about the small panel that contained the first appearance of Wolverine, a character whom you could mention virtually anywhere in the world and likely the person you mention it to will know of whom you speak.  As a cultural artifact is makes mincemeat of the Led Zepellin cover. U think wolverine is world renowned ?  Even with the movies ?  I think there’s a whole older generation. ( the seniors ) that have no idea who he is yet they know Supes. Bats. WW etc 

Edited by Chicago Boy

21 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well then I'd like to make a proclamation lol. To the 6 or less people who are willing to spend a million on comics and only reside on these boards, please buy this Detective Comics 27 for over a million to prove me right!

I'm going to rob a mafia poker game here in Jersey tonight, so if all goes well you'll get your wish. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

On 10/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, bpc3qh said:

I'll admit, I'm very skeptical this book will crack $1 million. The market just doesn't seem right for it at the moment, and there don't seem to be sales trending in that direction.

If this ends up being the case, it won’t age well,

Right along with so many GA comic grail sales from year’s past that seems strong in the moment but a bargain tomorrow—never to be had again.

10 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If this ends up being the case, it won’t age well,

Right along with so many GA comic grail sales from year’s past that seems strong in the moment but a bargain tomorrow—never to be had again.

I suppose so, although none of those sales took place during a pandemic/recession/general crisis. Frankly, if I had a book like this I'd hold it during this type of time unless I desperately needed the money (which, I suppose, could be the case...)

On 10/20/2020 at 4:52 AM, Professor Chaos said:

8758003.jpg

9742821.jpg

Sorry for backtracking to an earlier unrelated post, but I find it interesting that this book improved from a 1.0 to a 1.5.  Although the spine roll was corrected so that it presents better optically, it also lost its upper right corner during the transition.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:21 AM, bluechip said:

presume you are talking about the small panel that contained the first appearance of Wolverine, a character whom you could mention virtually anywhere in the world and likely the person you mention it to will know of whom you speak.  As a cultural artifact is makes mincemeat of the Led Zepellin cover. 

Well I think there is a reason China got Jimmy Page to perform at the Olympic Games, and not Hugh Jackman, but it does make for interesting discussion.

Of course everything we have mentioned so far looks like an incredible bargain next to a $3,930,000 USD Mike Trout rookie card.

I too hope the upcoming 27 breaks the million dollar mark, I just think it would have a lot better chance if the Rockford copy wasn't sitting there unsold for so long.

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

Sorry for backtracking to an earlier unrelated post, but I find it interesting that this book improved from a 1.0 to a 1.5.  Although the spine roll was corrected so that it presents better optically, it also lost its upper right corner during the transition.

Me too. It makes no sense really. Its the same book with the same defects. And I'm still confused how according to gocollect it sold as a 1.0 in March 2019 and as a 1.5 in March 2018. 

4 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

This Tec 27, WILL "NOT" SELL FOR A MILLION, :flamed:

I'm betting it gets 850/900 and stops, take that to the bank,

Bunk

I get a feeling that there is a bit of a psychological barrier when it comes to crossing over into seven figures.

IMO, the book is well worth it. But bidders want precedent. That only happens one way.

8 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I get a feeling that there is a bit of a psychological barrier when it comes to crossing over into seven figures.

IMO, the book is well worth it. But bidders want precedent. That only happens one way.

Just takes two to Tango. We shall see. 

Great fun watching on the sidelines. If it doesnt reach 1million in auction it will when its resold privately or in auction.

1 hour ago, zen514 said:

Just takes two to Tango. We shall see. 

Great fun watching on the sidelines. If it doesnt reach 1million in auction it will when its resold privately or in auction.

There are very few copies of Tec #27 in the world that are equal or superior to this one. We will all have a laugh years down the road about how we questioned whether it should or shouldn’t crack $1M.

This is one of the greatest artifacts in our entire hobby.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

46 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

There are very few copies of Tec #27 in the world that are equal or superior to this one. We will all have a laugh years down the road about how we questioned whether it should or shouldn’t crack $1M.

This is one of the greatest artifacts in our entire hobby.

Well said Wayne Tec🙌🙌🙌

2 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

There was a time when 100K was the psychological barrier, even after the first sales exceeded it.  Now that's not enough to get any copy.   Time will come when 7 figs has been exceeded enough times that it won't be a psych barrier for nice copies.  

17 minutes ago, bluechip said:

There was a time when 100K was the psychological barrier, even after the first sales exceeded it.  Now that's not enough to get any copy.   Time will come when 7 figs has been exceeded enough times that it won't be a psych barrier for nice copies.  

Now that’s a “bluechip” state of mind, and I dig it 😎

37 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I think any reluctance to surpass these arbitrary thresholds is interesting—for both collectors and investors alike.

While there are no guarantees in life, Tec #27 has been soaring, consistently, for a long time now. There are not many remaining copies, in any condition, and certainly when you get to 7.0+, you’re entering rarified air—both in terms of grade (number of copies in existence) and content (1st app. of Batman and Commissioner Gordon).

Compared to the prices realized for collectibles with far less connection to pop culture and nostalgia, it’s not hyperbole to say that these grail books have only begun to scratch the surface.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

50 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I think any reluctance to surpass these arbitrary thresholds is interesting—for both collectors and investors alike.

While there are no guarantees in life, Tec #27 has been soaring, consistently, for a long time now. There are not many remaining copies, in any condition, and certainly when you get to 7.0+, you’re entering rarified air—both in terms of grade (number of copies in existence) and content (1st app. of Batman and Commissioner Gordon).

Compared to the prices realized for collectibles with far less connection to pop culture and nostalgia, it’s not hyperbole to say that these grail books have only begun to scratch the surface.

I was just looking at an upcoming Hollywood memorabilia auction. Although some ( not all ) are one if a kind it seems the prices they get rival and exceed grail books in certain conditions yet I can’t see the appeal lasting the generations that some GA characters have on pop culture