• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I was just looking at an upcoming Hollywood memorabilia auction. Although some ( not all ) are one if a kind it seems the prices they get rival and exceed grail books in certain conditions yet I can’t see the appeal lasting the generations that some GA characters have on pop culture 

So you don't think a Dr No bikini should sell for as much as a nice Tec 33, or that a King Kong -script should be equal to a low grade Action 13?

Bluechip was saying earlier that we have Hollywood to thank for imprinting these characters on pop culture and making them bigger than music icons.

20 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I was just looking at an upcoming Hollywood memorabilia auction. Although some ( not all ) are one if a kind it seems the prices they get rival and exceed grail books in certain conditions yet I can’t see the appeal lasting the generations that some GA characters have on pop culture 

You hit the nail on the head.

Us comic book collectors appreciate these grails, for many reasons, but I feel that our hobby has room to expand, and welcome collectors from other hobbies as well.

Comic books don’t just connect us to the characters, there is historical significance, there is significance in content (stories)—collecting GA books in particular checks both the rarity and art boxes.

I’ll keep saying it, because I feel the future will prove me right—we’ve only begun to scratch the surface.

This particular Tec #27 is a very big deal.

29 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

So you don't think a Dr No bikini should sell for as much as a nice Tec 33, or that a King Kong --script should be equal to a low grade Action 13?

Bluechip was saying earlier that we have Hollywood to thank for imprinting these characters on pop culture and making them bigger than music icons.

While I love both Dr. No and King Kong, my kids are much less enthralled by them than I was.  James Bond, of course, has been successfully reinvented and likely will continue to be.  But memorabilia from a specific iteration of Bond (such as Dr. No) feels more comparable to memorabilia from a specific iteration of Batman (i.e. the 1940s movies, the 1960s TV show) than it does to the origins of the Batman mythos itself  in comics.  And I think that will continue to be the case.  The first iterations of Bond were in the books but they never have been, and likely never will be, the most expensive Bond items.   Most Bond fans (including me) couldn't even identify a first edition cover for the first Bond book.  But most Batman fans can ID a Tec 27 or Batman 1.  And when you say something like "this book has the first telling of Batman's origin" you appeal to the nostalgia of most Batman fans, regardless of which iteration of Batman's origin was their first exposure to it.

13 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

You hit the nail on the head.

Us comic book collectors appreciate these grails, for many reasons, but I feel that our hobby has room to expand, and welcome collectors from other hobbies as well.

Comic books don’t just connect us to the characters, there is historical significance, there is significance in content (stories)—collecting GA books in particular checks both the rarity and art boxes.

I’ll keep saying it, because I feel the future will prove me right—we’ve only begun to scratch the surface.

This particular Tec #27 is a very big deal.

Yes. Indeed 100%

21 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

There are very few copies of Tec #27 in the world that are equal or superior to this one. We will all have a laugh years down the road about how we questioned whether it should or shouldn’t crack $1M.

This is one of the greatest artifacts in our entire hobby.

I completely agree with all of that, and I personally would happily pay seven figures for this book (assuming I could, and I can't even pay 1/100 of that for any book right now, unless I liquidated every other book I own). My argument is that the market just isn't there yet. I thoroughly expect us to look back on this sale in 5-10 years as a bargain, no matter what it sells for.

1 minute ago, bpc3qh said:

I completely agree with all of that, and I personally would happily pay seven figures for this book (assuming I could, and I can't even pay 1/100 of that for any book right now, unless I liquidated every other book I own). My argument is that the market just isn't there yet. I thoroughly expect us to look back on this sale in 5-10 years as a bargain, no matter what it sells for.

I don’t disagree about the market not quite being there yet. What is so surprising, IMO, is that collectors/investors might pass on one of the best copies in existence before setting a new precedent.

There’s a reason why we don’t see this book surface in this grade. If it sells for under $1M, it could be held onto for a very long time, leaving underbidders to later pay $1M+ for a lower grade copy down the road.

2 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

What is so surprising, IMO, is that collectors/investors might pass on one of the best copies in existence before setting a new precedent.

Oh, so the market is just stupid? You and I just keep on agreeing with each other.

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I don’t disagree about the market not quite being there yet. What is so surprising, IMO, is that collectors/investors might pass on one of the best copies in existence before setting a new precedent.

There’s a reason why we don’t see this book surface in this grade. If it sells for under $1M, it could be held onto for a very long time, leaving underbidders to later pay $1M+ for a lower grade copy down the road.

Exactly just like the T206 Wagner. Its ot even Babe Ruth... Ask a 20 year old about Babe Ruth.. He’ll most likely know Bane or Poison Ivy but not Honus Wagner.

Started at 50k in early 2000s and now 1 million for a PSA graded 1.0

In 10-20 year a complete Action 1 Tec 27 could be even more... 

34 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Exactly just like the T206 Wagner. Its ot even Babe Ruth... Ask a 20 year old about Babe Ruth.. He’ll most likely know Bane or Poison Ivy but not Honus Wagner.

Started at 50k in early 2000s and now 1 million for a PSA graded 1.0

In 10-20 year a complete Action 1 Tec 27 could be even more... 

my favorite analogy is that you don’t see anyone wearing any Micky mantle jerseys anywhere but you see plenty of Batman. Spiderman and captain America. Shirts. Back packs and hats on kids everywhere of all nationalities. 

49 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

my favorite analogy is that you don’t see anyone wearing any Micky mantle jerseys anywhere but you see plenty of Batman. Spiderman and captain America. Shirts. Back packs and hats on kids everywhere of all nationalities. 

Not sure that's the best comparison--everybody knows who Mickey Mantle is.

6 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Who’s Mickey Mantle? You mean Mickey Mouse?

For a second I thought I'd misread the post and it actually said Mickey Mouse, now I see you're being sarcastic.

I stand by what I said. Maybe Mickey Mantle isn't universally known, but neither is Batman or Superman. Mantle certainly has the broad level of notoriety to put him in the same tier as Batman or Superman or Captain America.

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:

For a second I thought I'd misread the post and it actually said Mickey Mouse, now I see you're being sarcastic.

I stand by what I said. Maybe Mickey Mantle isn't universally known, but neither is Batman or Superman. Mantle certainly has the broad level of notoriety to put him in the same tier as Batman or Superman or Captain America.

Yeah I was just Joshin ya lol.

What a smart buyer would do is buy Gator's copy, and then buy the Rockford, and then bid the 7.0 copy up to $5 Million, this getting headlines and attracting some more oligarchs to the high end world.

Then they can immediately list the Rockford for $3 million and Gator's copy for $2 million and they will seem like bargains.

9 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I agree with that. I guess thats why I figure there will be a few very wealthy people going after this one. And if so the owner of the Rockford just might get his price. I bet people thought Nick Cage was nuts for buying his Action 1 for what I've read was 82.5K in 1992.  Then again I doubt we'll see a boom in prices people will be willing to pay for these high end and/or rare gems like what happened about 10-15 years ago. Investors must know this which will make them think twice at this time. Perhaps the ship really has sailed.

What I mean is for example I believe the Action 1 cgc 8.5 that sold for 2 million in 2018 from what I've read changed hands in 1995 for 137K. So it appreciated almost 15 times its value in 23 years. I believe there's no way any of these top books in the hobby will appreciate anywhere near that percentage in the future 20 or 25 years. 

Either way I can wait to be there when this one closes. 

As far as baseball cards. People just aren't into sports like they used to be. It got too commercial and money hungry which made a lot of people tune out. But the "Iconic" players- Gretzky and Jordan Rookies, Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Dimaggio, Mantle, will always appreciate.

Music Memorabelia is where its at in the future. David Gilmour's Stratocastor sold for 4 million last year. Even Kurts Green Sweater went for well over 300K..... unwashed since 1994.

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

What a smart buyer would do is buy Gator's copy, and then buy the Rockford, and then bid the 7.0 copy up to $5 Million, this getting headlines and attracting some more oligarchs to the high end world.

Then they can immediately list the Rockford for $3 million and Gator's copy for $2 million and they will seem like bargains.

Sean, please don't plant ideas like this in people's heads. 

Hijinks like this would be completely unprecedented in our hobby! (tsk)

16 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Are we talking about the All Star #8 and Sensation #1 again?

6 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I agree with that. I guess thats why I figure there will be a few very wealthy people going after this one. And if so the owner of the Rockford just might get his price. I bet people thought Nick Cage was nuts for buying his Action 1 for what I've read was 82.5K in 1992.  Then again I doubt we'll see a boom in prices people will be willing to pay for these high end and/or rare gems like what happened about 10-15 years ago. Investors must know this which will make them think twice at this time. Perhaps the ship really has sailed.

What I mean is for example I believe the Action 1 cgc 8.5 that sold for 2 million in 2018 from what I've read changed hands in 1995 for 137K. So it appreciated almost 15 times its value in 23 years. I believe there's no way any of these top books in the hobby will appreciate anywhere near that percentage in the future 20 or 25 years. 

Either way I can wait to be there when this one closes. 

As far as baseball cards. People just aren't into sports like they used to be. It got too commercial and money hungry which made a lot of people tune out. But the "Iconic" players- Gretzky and Jordan Rookies, Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Dimaggio, Mantle, will always appreciate.

Music Memorabelia is where its at in the future. David Gilmour's Stratocastor sold for 4 million last year. Even Kurts Green Sweater went for well over 300K..... unwashed since 1994.

Music Memorabilia ❤️. This is all I got

5DE7A9B3-4D15-41F1-BE9C-C5F972AFF340.jpeg