• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Are superhero books the only ones capable of the million dollar club? Is there another book (say horror, western, etc) that if ever found in high enough grade could possibly hit that mark? Or is that extremely unlikely?

Something like a Suspense Comics #3 or something even rarer....

Hmm, great question. @G.A.tor do you know of a non superhero comic book that could possibly break a mil?

4 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Hmm, great question. @G.A.tor do you know of a non superhero comic book that could possibly break a mil?

Or even what book has come closest as far as a non superhero book. I assume it would be a Golden Age book of some kind but perhaps there is even something much newer that has approached this mark or exceeded it that I am unaware of. 

12 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Are superhero books the only ones capable of the million dollar club? Is there another book (say horror, western, etc) that if ever found in high enough grade could possibly hit that mark? Or is that extremely unlikely?

Extremely unlikely.  The MH/Church Suspense 3 (9.2) is the record holder for non-superhero comics at $262K.  Other potential contenders (Archie 1, Detective 1, Planet 1, Startling 49, WDC&S 1) have yet to break $200K.

The only one that could break $500K in the next five years or so, I think, would be a really really high grade Detective 1, and I don't know if such a comic exists.  

Edited by sfcityduck

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Extremely unlikely.  The MH/Church Suspense 3 (9.2) is the record holder for non-superhero comics at $262K.  Other potential contenders (Archie 1, Detective 1, Phantom Lady 17, Planet 1, Startling 49, WDC&S 1) have yet to break $200K.

The only one that could break $500K in the five years or so, I think, would be a really really high grade Detective 1, and I don't know if such a comic exists.  

Makes sense. Obviously, some of these books existing in high enough grade to even come close to even 500K is the hard part. 

But so as to not discourage hope, I am a firm believer that all books exist somewhere at all times undiscovered.

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

But so as to not discourage hope, I am a firm believer that all books exist somewhere at all times undiscovered.

Very Zen.  The problem is that they may exist in the Dentist's collection.  Begging the question that if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a sound?

1 minute ago, sagii said:

I think a 9.4 or higher WDCS #1 could possibly be a contender in the future hm

$116,512.00 at Heritage on 2008/11/12.  So its on my list of contenders.  But I think it has a long way to go to reach a mark that 9.4 AS 8 and 9.4 CA 1 have not yet broken.

I'd think the Mile High Pep 22 is the best candidate?  You could argue its a superhero book I guess, but is it really?   The value is certainly in the non superhero aspect.

6 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Very Zen.  The problem is that they may exist in the Dentist's collection.  Begging the question that if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a sound?

Only if it lands on some poor unsuspecting bear....begging the further question "Did the tree make the sound or the perishing cries of the bear?"

Edited by comicginger1789

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'd think the Mile High Pep 22 is the best candidate?  You could argue its a superhero book I guess, but is it really?   The value is certainly in the non superhero aspect.

It's definitely a superhero comic with a superhero cover, so I think it does not qualify as a non-superhero comic.  It also has one of the very best anti-Jap and anti-German WWII covers of the GA (which is cover dated December 1941 pre-Pearl Harbor), which matters a lot in a world where Suspense 3 is the leading candidate for non-superhero comic values.

Edited by sfcityduck

If Dave the Dentist didn't own the Mile High Pep 22 & Archie 1, it would have been interesting to see what CGC would grade and what an auction would bring.

Maybe not a million, but interesting...

Edited by DanCooper

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Something like a Suspense Comics #3 or something even rarer....

Unlikely, but my bet would be pep 22 if archie turns into a media juggernaut somehow. 

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Extremely unlikely.  The MH/Church Suspense 3 (9.2) is the record holder for non-superhero comics at $262K.  Other potential contenders (Archie 1, Detective 1, Planet 1, Startling 49, WDC&S 1) have yet to break $200K.

The only one that could break $500K in the next five years or so, I think, would be a really really high grade Detective 1, and I don't know if such a comic exists.  

I got a 8.0. Tec 1 :whistle: Restored :makepoint:

25 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Is the $1,095,000 (so far) for the Tec #27 the highest price ever realized for any book graded 7.0 or under?

That’s a good question. I’m trying to remember what a few lower graded action 1 s went for ......