• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, bpc3qh said:
6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

I believe you mean 2 7.0s, 2 7.5s, and 2 8.0s - but just 1 9.2.

Ah, yes--I think I misread GPA's new website.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Detective+Comics&issue=27&publisher=D.C.+Comics&year=1939&issuedate=5/39

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Sure, let's all play...if I was Bezos, I would buy all the copies that come to market (like Fish with Fantastic 3), but not tell anyone I was doing that and then in a few years, I would just price them all at a million per point, or two million per point, heck maybe even 3 million, cause why not?

If I were Bezos, I'd buy every single Tec 27 (Universal and Restored) and destroy them all :insane:

Leaving only my best my copy to be worth 50 million

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

If I were Bezos, I'd buy every single Tec 27 (Universal and Restored) and destroy them all :insane:

Leaving only my best my copy to be worth 50 million

Exactly why I stay off the grid (mostly). :S

I’m doubling security after that post...:ohnoez:

On 11/12/2020 at 1:40 AM, I am not Glenda said:
On 11/11/2020 at 11:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, all I can say is that I certainly hope the buyer of the $95K private sale did not base his purchase price upon the $90K Heritage public auction sales result.  hm

Especially when the HA $90K purchaser ended up reselling the exact same copy several months later for only $59K in an non-auction resale:  :tonofbricks:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/877988?tzf=1

tee2.602_1.jpg

There have been quite a few CGC 9.8 TMNT 1 sales after that HA $90K outlier of a sale and all of them fell somewhere in the $50K to $60K range of thereabouts.  (thumbsu

That sale took place about 2 weeks after the HA sale.

Well, that's definitely very interesting then since it would seem that the $95K private sale was based primarily upon the then just completed $90K HA public sale.  hm

Did the buyer not realized that the price for copies of CGC 9.8 TMNT 1 were selling only in the mid to high $30K's prior to that HA $90K sale.  Has anybody ever consider the possibility that the high profile $90K sale was done just in order to jump start and light a fire in the TMNT 1 market which it certainly did as prices on CGC 9.8 graded copies moved into the $50K plus range for the next few sales after that.  Especially when that exact same $90K HA copy was then resold for $59K several short months after that in an non-auction format sale.  :devil:

20 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

That was also my point. A bidder /potential buyer for a now 7 figure book, I’m guessing should have done/did enough due diligence to discover what is out there and at what price.

The people with big bucks usually have little time and often rely on an agent or single source for their acquisitions.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

The people with big bucks usually have little time and often rely on an agent or single source for their acquisitions.

then the agent does the due diligence...I don't buy into this notion that "rich" folks don't care about their money and are willing to overspend...that's hogwash imo...

37 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

then the agent does the due diligence...I don't buy into this notion that "rich" folks don't care about their money and are willing to overspend...that's hogwash imo...

Hey G.A.tor that is my 2005-Penny-Uncirculated-Obverse.thumb.png.ee8c5faeff5b79dbe5f0703c450e6052.png

Edited by woowoo

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's definitely very interesting then since it would seem that the $95K private sale was based primarily upon the then just completed $90K HA public sale.  hm

Did the buyer not realized that the price for copies of CGC 9.8 TMNT 1 were selling only in the mid to high $30K's prior to that HA $90K sale.  Has anybody ever consider the possibility that the high profile $90K sale was done just in order to jump start and light a fire in the TMNT 1 market which it certainly did as prices on CGC 9.8 graded copies moved into the $50K plus range for the next few sales after that.  Especially when that exact same $90K HA copy was then resold for $59K several short months after that in an non-auction format sale.  :devil:

I have no idea, what the buyer was using as a guide, I do know know the book was stunning and did have both signatures on the inside and a sketch ( not a yellow label). I assume the sale was based on the HA sale but the last time I talked to the buyer ( over the summer) they were still very happy with the purchase ( with not giving to much info as its was not my purchase) I know a lot of the funds came from multiple sales of high grade  9.8 ASM #300 which the buyer had bought new back in the 1980s and never touched. 

38 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I think there's more than one type of rich folk. Perhaps more common are those that became rich (or that started rich and maintained their wealth) by watching their spending, etc.  A smaller percentage of those that re rich may have gotten rich quick (athletes, lotto winners, etc.), and may not have had as much experience with managing their money, and so they may not shop around as much as they should when the see a shiny object, or they trust their money to the wrong people (which is why you'll sometimes hear about people that have made tens or hundreds of millions going broke).

19 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

then the agent does the due diligence...

Maybe they do... maybe they don't.  How will Mr. DeepPockets know whether CraftyAgentPerson is diligent and how much they are actually getting out of the deal?  This is an old problem, ancient if you read history, and it's common enough in collectible fields that people should be more wary than they are.

I don't buy into this notion that "rich" folks don't care about their money and are willing to overspend...that's hogwash imo...

I agree that rich folks don't want to be taken advantage of any more than do the hoi polloi but they don't always know what is going on behind the curtain so ... stuff happens.

Edited by adamstrange

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Agreed. 

The vast majority of rich people became rich through hard work and diligent savings.

The vast majority of rich people also aren't buying a Tec27.  The ones who are put the same diligent planning into it that made them wealthy in the first place. 

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Agreed. 

The vast majority of rich people became rich through hard work and diligent savings.

The vast majority of rich people also aren't buying a Tec27.  The ones who are put the same diligent planning into it that made them wealthy in the first place. 

In other words they "do their homework" first? They bid with their head not over it? 

Edited by Professor Chaos
thats my business