• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I don’t disagree but in terms of hard completed -sales i would be hard-pressed to say otherwise. 

Of course with all the completed data. Just implying with a 5.5 sale in 2016 at same auction house and that market has risen and is in fire... A 7.0 AC1 could really go bonkers on the coat tails of this TEC 27....  I think 1.5mil is a dhoe in and we looking at 1.75. If it hits 2million I will freak out!!

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I think Tec 27 is making some nice strides to reach Action 1, but I agree it’s still in a league of its own. Atleast in the higher grades. Lest we not forget that Action 1 5.5 copy sold for $950K at no reserve auction 4 years ago while a gorgeous pedigree 6.0 Tec 27 reluctantly finds a buyer for $850K. At auction potentially/likely sells for somewhat less. Don’t get me wrong though, this 7.0 is an impressive sale, and maybe not finished yet. And before anyone mentions the 8.5 that sold in 2018 for just over 2 mil, that book had a history. I believe the previously graded version referenced rusted staples or something to that degree, which was not represented on the new label. So I wouldn’t be surprised if that affected the sale some.

If this Tec #27 goes for $1.4M-1.7M, I’d assume a 7.0 copy of Action #1 would be, roughly, a $2M book.

Both have been undervalued for a long time. The growth we are seeing before our eyes should not surprise anyone. 

Edited by Wayne-Tec

12 hours ago, fishbone said:
On 11/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, I am not Glenda said:

The real problem with parting with a Tec 27 or Action 1 in any condition is that they are so coveted anyone considering selling their copy knows the odds of getting another one are slim to none. Both IMHO are really entirely different than any other books in our hobby including MM1 Cap 1 Whiz AF 15 or anything else you want to put on the list. 

yes, a huge dilemma as you are 100% correct ... once gone, never getting one back 

This is simply not true.  Unrestored Action 1s and Tec 27s come up for sale all the time.  It's just whether you can afford it.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's brought by a foreigner living outside the U.S.A, they would be able to avoid the sales tax, but just imagine the hefty Customs duties which would then most likely have to be paid by the buyer of the book as it goes across the border.  :mad:  :censored:

Unless of course you live in a duty free country like, say, Hong Kong. :whistle:

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

This is simply not true.  Unrestored Action 1s and Tec 27s come up for sale all the time.  It's just whether you can afford it.

I would not say unrestored examples come up all the time. However, your response validates the point I was trying to make. A lot of collectors would never be able to replace either book once they sold them for the very reason you stated they could not afford to replace them. Many examples of both books have been held in collections for years ( in some cases decades) and the CMV would not allow most collectors to replace either book. Iv been in the hobby for 40 years and there was a time when it was possible for almost any serious collector with a 9 to 5 job, a little luck, determination & hussle to pretty much afford almost any book they wanted ( yes 25k for a Mile High comic was a lot of money even back then) But MH was the exception not the rule and even if you wanted a complete run of many GA series it was possible, that has not been the case for quite some time. The truth is pre internet it wasn't so much about the money as it was about finding the books :)

Edited by I am not Glenda

1 hour ago, I am not Glenda said:

The truth is pre internet it wasn't so much about the money as it was about finding the books :)

This is very true! 

I didn't grow up around big shows.  The ones we had were in church basements and gyms. It was rare that you saw big keys or GA books.  

When I was 7 or 8 I do distinctly remember seeing a Superman 1. It was all the talk of the show and my father took me over see it. They wanted $7k! 

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

let me clarify - once gone never coming back -- because I wouldn't be able to afford at current prices, not that they aren't available :cry:

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's brought by a foreigner living outside the U.S.A, they would be able to avoid the sales tax, but just imagine the hefty Customs duties which would then most likely have to be paid by the buyer of the book as it goes across the border.  :mad:  :censored:

very good point, gone are the days when certain auction houses would write $100 as customs value for 5-figure books - so for me today  it'd add another 10-13% duty charge on top of everything else ... not to mention less-than-favourable exchange rate ...OUCH , for a Canadian this is approaching a 2 million dollar book !!