• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

For the last 20 years Batman has been 10 x more popular right. My Action 7 is 1938 does that make it better ?

It makes it more important in the  7th superman vs 7th Batman..I think year is a factor in it favor.

24 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Many people don't realize that Captain Marvel debuted in the same calendar year as Batman.  Same with the Flash and Hawkman.   And Cap 1 was on the stands not in 1941 but December 1940.  

Newsstand date > cover date.

What matters is when the book was released.

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe a 7.0 action 1 would sell for 2 million, but what do I know... (the owner of 1 of the 6.5's that I sold,  has recently turned down 1.5 mil offer)

That should make Action1Kid feel all warm and toasty. 

Whatever happened to that guy?  I miss the days when people would talk about Action 1 endlessly. :eyeroll:

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

What was the BP on the D27?  

I'm trying to ascertain if outperformed the Dow as an investment.

Hammer on the 'Tec 27 was $1.25M with a BP of 20% or $250K for a final total of $1.5M.  :gossip:

Not sure how you would be able to compare it to the performance of the Dow and over what time period?  Especially since the Dow is a very inaccurate indicator biased to the upside since it is a constantly changing index over time as it drops underperforming companies and replaces them with top performing companies.  hm  (shrug)

6 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

As I’ve mentioned many times over the years, the generation that grew up seeing an increase in Batman interest and a decrease in Superman interest (let’s say, those born 1980 onward) has not yet risen to greater spending power. We won’t see that happen for another 10-15 years.

Teens that went crazy over The Dark Knight Returns when it was released are all 48 - 54 years old right now.  If that isn't peak earning/spending power, what is?

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

That should make Action1Kid feel all warm and toasty. 

Whatever happened to that guy?  I miss the days when people would talk about Action 1 endlessly. :eyeroll:

It, again, is all relative. Peter made about 450k profit when he sold me the book in 2009. I’d think tvm/opp costs served him nicely ( he’s a financial guru imo). I’m sure he turned that profit into way more than the diff in current market and when he sold. 

I wonder what an Unrestored 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 Tec 27 would realistically sell for, right now. I suspect a big splashy sale like this changes the dynamics a bit, in that it gives potential buyers more confidence. But on the other hand, at least on the entry level end, it’s probably a different group of potential buyers.

Just now, twmjr1 said:

I think no complete copy of Tec 27 can be obtained for less than $300,00 now, be it very low grade, extensive restoration, whatever. Anybody want to prove me wrong? Selling one for less than that?

I would second that...saw the story of world record price of 1.5 million in Hollywood Reporter...this market uptick is getting know world wide...

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

It, again, is all relative. Peter made about 450k profit when he sold me the book in 2009. I’d think tvm/opp costs served him nicely ( he’s a financial guru imo). I’m sure he turned that profit into way more than the diff in current market and when he sold. 

Wasn't the book originally a 5.5?

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hammer on the 'Tec 27 was $1.25M with a BP of 20% or $250K for a final total of $1.5M.  :gossip:

The D27 was purchased for $492,938 on 11/19/2011 and the owner received $1,250,000 on 11/19/2020. That an increase of 2.54x.

Over the same time period, the Dow is up an equivalent amount of 2.67x and the S&P is up 2.8x.  Obviously, many individual stocks and funds beat the Dow and S&P and many did not. 

Measured as an investment, the D27 was well within the range of a stock market return.  In short, it was a legit investment which, while maybe nowhere near as good as owning Google/Alphabet (up 5.42x) was still a rate of return which kept pace with the usual retirement investments people make.  Could you make more money in the top tech stocks?  Yes.  But you would not have had the joy of owning a D27.

My takeway:  Buy a comic because you love it, but realize it is not a "waste" of your money as it can garner returns in line with 401K returns.

I would think that the seller could have negotiated buyer's / seller's commissions so that they would have netted more than $1,250,00 (they may not have really even had to really negotiate it, given the magnitude of the book), so perhaps they received an increase a bit more than 2.54x...