• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

paging @tth2

in this instance I believe it was a straight resub...i am not aware that it was pressed at all...I think they reviewed it and by regrading, admitted they had undergraded it...Peter would know better than me

18 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The D27 was purchased for $492,938 on 11/19/2011 and the owner received $1,250,000 on 11/19/2020. That an increase of 2.54x.

Over the same time period, the Dow is up an equivalent amount of 2.67x and the S&P is up 2.8x.  Obviously, many individual stocks and funds beat the Dow and S&P and many did not.

Just feels like a hollow comparison, taking what is the #2 book and the expected bluechip of the hobby and comparing it to the a changing, mixed group of stocks over 10 years.

In the last 10 years, the Dow has dropped Kraft, Alcoa, Bank of America, and GE among others, and of course we forget the cost of carrying a book like Tec 27 (how much is the insurance on it over 10 years?).

Shouldn't a better comparison be to some single blue-chippers from 2010? the Tec 27s return will look feeble compared to the returns of Apple, Microsoft, Starbucks, Nike, etc. which are all up 8-10x their November 2010 price. The market leaders of 2010 are mostly still crushing the market. Two of the big exceptions that come to mind are XOM and T, which even in 2010 showed worrisome signs, but because of dividends their returns would still be close to the Tec27.

26 minutes ago, Superman2006 said:

I would think that the seller could have negotiated buyer's / seller's commissions so that they would have netted more than $1,250,00 (they may not have really even had to really negotiate it, given the magnitude of the book), so perhaps they received an increase a bit more than 2.54x...

for sure something more favorable to the seller was negotiated ...

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

in this instance I believe it was a straight resub...i am not aware that it was pressed at all...I think they reviewed it and by regrading, admitted they had undergraded it...Peter would know better than me

I believe this is correct also. At the time of the initial sale in 2003, most people on this board remarked how the book looked under-graded (but I don't remember people freaking out that a book graded "only" a  5.5 passed the $100K mark like the hoopla surrounding a 7.0 now passing the $1 million mark).

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-1-dc-1938-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages-more-than-a-comic-book-more-than-a-superhero-this-is-a-true-piece/a/806-3001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

20 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

That's the way I remember it, too.  

10 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Teens that went crazy over The Dark Knight Returns when it was released are all 48 - 54 years old right now.  If that isn't peak earning/spending power, what is?

Either you're writing from the future, or you meant to say the original Burton Batman film

1 hour ago, Superman2006 said:

I would think that the seller could have negotiated buyer's / seller's commissions so that they would have netted more than $1,250,00 (they may not have really even had to really negotiate it, given the magnitude of the book), so perhaps they received an increase a bit more than 2.54x...

My analysis assumes the seller negotiated his way out of paying any seller's premium (which may not be true).  But, there was a disclosure that there was a buyer's premium.

20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

My analysis assumes the seller negotiated his way out of paying any seller's premium (which may not be true).  But, there was a disclosure that there was a buyer's premium.

I'm guessing the seller got or negotiated negative BP and netted probably 1.35

12 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
33 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm guessing the seller got or negotiated negative BP and netted probably 1.35

Yup, that's what I was guessing (10% commission)...

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe this is correct also. At the time of the initial sale in 2003, most people on this board remarked how the book looked under-graded (but I don't remember people freaking out that a book graded "only" a  5.5 passed the $100K mark like the hoopla surrounding a 7.0 now passing the $1 million mark).

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-1-dc-1938-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages-more-than-a-comic-book-more-than-a-superhero-this-is-a-true-piece/a/806-3001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Is nobody else here concerned with the fact that CGC is this far off on their grading for a major book which they should have spent more time on and at least have gotten it in the same ball park?  :facepalm:

All I know is that if I was the original submittor of this book here and CGC blew it by 3 full grading levels, I would be totally pissed off at their absolute incompetence.  At this rate, they may as well be using a dart board when it comes to their grading.  :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is nobody else here concerned with the fact that CGC is this far off on their grading for a major book which they should have spent more time on and at least have gotten it in the same ball park?  :facepalm:

All I know is that if I was the original submittor of this book here and CGC blew it by 3 full grading levels, I would be totally pissed off at their absolute incompetence.  At this rate, they may as well be using a dart board when it comes to their grading.  :mad:  :censored:

Amen to that !!

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

To be fair the book was graded in 2001 I think. Right after they opened their doors. I’m sure part of the initial growing pains 

we all know that 1.5 copy that regraded a 2.5 (the action 1 with huge chunk out). 

Edited by G.A.tor

18 hours ago, tth2 said:

That should make Action1Kid feel all warm and toasty. 

Whatever happened to that guy?  I miss the days when people would talk about Action 1 endlessly. :eyeroll:

I prefer the times when all we could talk about was The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck and would wonder if it should be worth more than Action 1.  We would all sit around day dreaming about owning a copy some day.