• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

It just doesn’t have any punch.   I like Zep miles more than Pink Floyd but I’d rather have the Floyd Scream cover that sold (and judging by the disparity in price I’m not the only one). 

Truth be told this Zep piece looks a little like modern comic art with no word balloons ;)

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I’m loving that I keep confusing you Tim ;) tth2

I dunno man, I want to like it but I can’t get there 

You know, it looks ok on the initial jpg but every time I blew it up I didn’t like what I saw.   I was wondering why that was until I looked at the dimensions.    It’s tiny, and that’s why it doesn’t look good blown up.    It’s 6 inches by 6 inches.   About the size of your hand or 1/4 of the surface area of a standard comic page.

Edited by Bronty

On 11/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, sfcityduck said:

Have any pool of dealers ever paid $1M for a book?  I can think of a board member dealer and another dealer who partnered on a mid+ six figure book, but of the small number of books that have sold for $1M, I'm not aware of any that were bought by an investment pool of dealers.  Not saying they didn't, just never heard they did.

Me neither. Like I said. Im not in the know.  Just like to think outside the box. The Idea is possible. Just having fun guessing. Maybe it will happen  one day maybe it has already happened. 

But I can see Comics rising in value alot more. Once again just me thinking out loud😂

7 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The pool of people who have paid $2M for a comic book is one guy, and he's on the sidelines and already has a copy.

I’m not saying I think it will hit $2M+. But before the first $1M sale, few would have expected what followed.

Comic book grails have been wildly undervalued for a very long time.

1 minute ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I’m not saying I think it will hit $2M+. But before the first $1M sale, few would have expected what followed.

Comic book grails have been wildly undervalued for a very long time.

No offense, but I hate it when folks say a comic book is undervalued.  Like fine art and all sorts of other things for which folks get an emotional attachment, comics have NO intrinsic value.  They are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  The value is set by buyers.  So folks who sit in their armchairs, like me frankly, and say I'd pay $1M for that comic if I had the money, can't really opine on the actual value of a comic.  The value is based on what folks with money in their pockets are willing to pay.  Hence my comment about the one-person pool of buyers at $2M.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

No offense, but I hate it when folks say a comic book is undervalued.  Like fine art and all sorts of other things for which folks get an emotional attachment, comics have NO intrinsic value.  They are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  The value is set by buyers.  So folks who sit in their armchairs, like me frankly, and say I'd pay $1M for that comic if I had the money, can't really opine on the actual value of a comic.  The value is based on what folks with money in their pockets are willing to pay.  Hence my comment about the one-person pool of buyers at $2M.

I think your statement is pretty fair.

I should clarify though. When I said that comic grails have been “undervalued”, my thinking is simply that other collectibles with far less nostalgic connection and far less modern day relevance, have sold for more IMO, because precedent has justified it.

Before the first $1M comic book sale, that lack of precedent prevented certain books from reaching heights later eclipsed after precedent. Remember when the Tec #27 CGC 8.0 set a world record? Would that have happened without the Action #1 CGC 8.0 sale cracking the barrier first?

No doubt, it’s all too easy to say “I’d spend $2M if I had it” without actually having the opportunity to do so. Fair point.

But I do feel a time will come in the not too distant future when people will gasp at a book of this stature selling for well under $2M...if that ends up being the case.

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

my thinking is simply that other collectibles with far less nostalgic connection and far less modern day relevance, have sold for more IMO, because precedent has justified it.

My view is that comics are way over valued compared to pulps and paperbacks when it comes to cover art.  (And don't get me started on the many forms of GGA art!)

I also believe that comics are over valued as art that you can display on a wall compared to fine art prints and other comparable limited edition printed art.

Comics are also probably over valued compared to movie posters.

However, I think they are under valued compared to baseball cards (a total loser of a collectible in my view).  

Why?  Because comics had the best market makers, price guide writers, dealers and fans of any collectible.  (There are just more baseball fans.)

But, my opinion really doesn't matter.  All that matters is the crazy inclinations of a buyer willing to spend big bucks on a deteriorating newsprint publication.  :)

Edited by sfcityduck

BATMAN1939 COMIC SELLS FOR $850K!!!Caped Crusader's Debut

11/7/2020 12:10 AM PT
a85894a877cf4ba4a8318ded39dbecf7_md.jpg
EXCLUSIVE
ComicConnect

Batman was first revealed in a comic book way back in 1939, and though kids could have bought it then for 10 cents ... a collector just paid $849,999.90 more to get his hands on one.

Detective Comics No. 27 is the vintage comic in which the Caped Crusader makes his first appearance, and there are fewer than 70 copies still remaining in the world ... according to online auction house ComicConnect.

One of those copies just sold for a whopping $850k, making it the second-highest sale price ever for that particular issue ... and one of the top comic book sales of all time.

fb2b411a9afd4f98874b7f2f6b1205b5_md.jpg
ComicConnect

Vincent Zurzolo -- co-owner of ComicConnect, which managed the sale -- says the comic probably would have gone for even more if it was in better condition, but it's only a 6 out of 10 on the CGC grading scale.

By contrast, another copy of No. 27 that was graded an 8 sold for a staggering $1,075,500 in 2010 ... setting the record for the Batman comic.

Zurzolo says the recent $850k sale reflects how the collectibles market is booming right now. As we've reported ... that's been evidenced by a Mike Trout rookie card netting a stunning $3.9 MILLION in August, and a LeBron James rookie card fetching $1.8 mil in July.

As for comic books ... Superman still reigns supreme. A copy of the 1938 edition of Action Comics No. 1 where the superhero debuted sold for $1.5 million, smashing all previous records.

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Here’s a cautionary tale found hiding in the pages of my local paper this morning. 

8CB187F7-8FB4-4C1B-93C8-C620CA1B263A.jpeg

Hard to prove but 27 mil on Tax turns a lot of heads but there are legal ways that are fishy but are legal by law. I am not an attorney but i did stay at a Best Western

Edited by woowoo

52 minutes ago, woowoo said:

BATMAN1939 COMIC SELLS FOR $850K!!!Caped Crusader's Debut

11/7/2020 12:10 AM PT

a85894a877cf4ba4a8318ded39dbecf7_md.jpg
EXCLUSIVE
ComicConnect

Batman was first revealed in a comic book way back in 1939, and though kids could have bought it then for 10 cents ... a collector just paid $849,999.90 more to get his hands on one.

Detective Comics No. 27 is the vintage comic in which the Caped Crusader makes his first appearance, and there are fewer than 70 copies still remaining in the world ... according to online auction house ComicConnect.

One of those copies just sold for a whopping $850k, making it the second-highest sale price ever for that particular issue ... and one of the top comic book sales of all time.

fb2b411a9afd4f98874b7f2f6b1205b5_md.jpg
ComicConnect

Vincent Zurzolo -- co-owner of ComicConnect, which managed the sale -- says the comic probably would have gone for even more if it was in better condition, but it's only a 6 out of 10 on the CGC grading scale.

By contrast, another copy of No. 27 that was graded an 8 sold for a staggering $1,075,500 in 2010 ... setting the record for the Batman comic.

Zurzolo says the recent $850k sale reflects how the collectibles market is booming right now. As we've reported ... that's been evidenced by a Mike Trout rookie card netting a stunning $3.9 MILLION in August, and a LeBron James rookie card fetching $1.8 mil in July.

As for comic books ... Superman still reigns supreme. A copy of the 1938 edition of Action Comics No. 1 where the superhero debuted sold for $1.5 million, smashing all previous records.

Well. Some assumptions of why it was pulled were Wrong. ( me included )  The 7.0 might have expedited this sale. At this rate my estimate of 1,050,000 is almost exactly on the money. At 995k it’s right where it shud b.  I hope it goes for a ton more but that 6.9 is a nicer copy imo. Never the less it’s a Tec 27 and very few chances to get one exist. 

Edited by Chicago Boy