• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2019!
7 7

168 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

I love Mystery Men 30. I got a copy with a missing centerfold for thirty bucks from Gary Dolgoff in the late nineties. I sure wish I kept that one. Congratulations on that nice copy, Gino.

Thanks brother!!! Dang man let’s track it down!! I think the boom of the internet with ebay and all the other auctions sites of course has definitely shed a light on what is truly hard to find/rare nowadays. I am sure you have only seen a handful of copies since maybe some of the same copy more than once but still it’s a tough one in any grade. Appreciate it my friend!!

On 12/7/2019 at 4:11 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Bought a World's Finest #3 (1st Scarecrow) cover-less, which is ideal because i've always hated that original cover and thus could not justify spending so much to get the first appearance of one of my favorite bat-villains.

But since i'm pretty much awesome at making reproduction covers at this point it wasn't a problem. I commissioned new art and have remade the ideal cover for that issue. I have replicated the Golden Age heavy cardboard stock originally used (so yes, if you bend it too much like the original it will start causing coloring breaks - you can see it in action on the spine already), as well as the original coloring methods used (full separations made, only approved colors used by DC's printers at the time etc)

Note: This is only an early digital print preview I had to confirm sizing (not final coloring), and I am having the final offset print done this week (as it was printed back in the GA, you'll get all the Ben-Day dots patterns exactly).

20191120_192913.thumb.jpg.cc6a56ed16177f40a088ea0e14e9c888.jpg

You gave all three the patented "Robin shock pose/expression!"  Even Supes!  Nice cover. 

17 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Hard to play with a lot of you Big boys but here would be my top 3.

Wonderworld Comics #31 from Nov. 1941  - This book is one of the rarest superhero comics in existence. I had looked for a copy for years. There are still only 4 total copies on the census and that includes a 0.5, this 2.0, a 2.5, then Jon Berks 9.0 so other that JBs the highest is a 2.5 and this book just tickles me pink every time I look at it. Presents very nicely and has gorgeous pages. To me personally it is a phenomenal cover as well which is one of the reasons I know it is truly a rare specimen as more copies would surely get subbed. If you look at the issues around this one they usually come in around 10-15 copies subbed. A true golden age rarity and one that I cherish. She's a keeper no doubt.

9A951569-87AE-45F0-BF55-9865662CECAA.jpeg

:golfclap:Ginooo!

Love em all my friend! This right here is one %@#$ of a book to acquire. (worship)

On 12/10/2019 at 2:14 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Hard to play with a lot of you Big boys but here would be my top 3.

Wonderworld Comics #31 from Nov. 1941  - This book is one of the rarest superhero comics in existence. I had looked for a copy for years. There are still only 4 total copies on the census and that includes a 0.5, this 2.0, a 2.5, then Jon Berks 9.0 so other that JBs the highest is a 2.5 and this book just tickles me pink every time I look at it. Presents very nicely and has gorgeous pages. To me personally it is a phenomenal cover as well which is one of the reasons I know it is truly a rare specimen as more copies would surely get subbed. If you look at the issues around this one they usually come in around 10-15 copies subbed. A true golden age rarity and one that I cherish. She's a keeper no doubt.

9A951569-87AE-45F0-BF55-9865662CECAA.jpeg

Crazy.  Why didn't CGC note "Bondage Cover" on the label?