• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Men’s Adventure Mags
11 11

1,048 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2020 at 3:32 PM, lbcolefan said:

Nice one!

Battle Cry has some great covers over it’s 15 year run. It was published by the same publisher as the Battle Cry comic. The last comic was issue 20 and the first magazine was 21 so evidently they changed formats and continued as a magazine just like Mad.

I assume to circumvent the barbarity that was the comics code?

1 hour ago, speedcake said:

I assume to circumvent the barbarity that was the comics code?

Yes, the first issue of the Battle Cry magazine was end of 1955 and the comics code had just been created but I suspect a bigger motivation for transition to magazine was that comic sales in the mid to late 50s fell through the floor for many publishers.  Magazines (and pulps) were produced by the same publishers and I think magazines were far more stable and lucrative.  That’s why many comic/pulp artists ended up doing illustrations for these (and other) magazines.  The comic market was just too volatile.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:53 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I have this issue also.  Apparently getting whipped by some Nazi fraulein wasn’t bad enough, they had to drop his pants while they did it.  :facepalm:

L O L  the whipping/ pants down cover is my favorite☝️☝️🏆now👏👏👏