• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highest grade Archie # 1 CBCS 9.2 value
1 1

83 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I drew a lot of bricks when I said it earlier, but I still think prices were a bit down in that auction. Sure, there were a few flashes of activity, but not on the books I follow most

Across the board prices were way down.  They can throw all the bricks they want, it won't change the facts.  This past comiclink auction had some of the lowest key hammer prices in 2 to 3 years.  

8 hours ago, comicquant said:

Across the board prices were way down.  They can throw all the bricks they want, it won't change the facts.  This past comiclink auction had some of the lowest key hammer prices in 2 to 3 years.  

The good news (if you can call it that) is gpa doesn’t include ComicLink sales in their data set. Sellers can sometimes do quite well buying their. 

56 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

The good news (if you can call it that) is gpa doesn’t include ComicLink sales in their data set. Sellers can sometimes do quite well buying their. 

I have a gocollect.com subscription as well which includes comiclink auctions.  Most newer links work.  I agree, in most auctions I’ve seen CL has done well, but this past auction was one of the worst I’ve seen among all the bigger auctions houses.  It was bad enough that it changed my mind about selling some books in their next auction.

59 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

The good news (if you can call it that) is gpa doesn’t include ComicLink sales in their data set.

So, GPA posts eBay BIN (best offer accepted) prices... which we know to be inaccurate...

...AND they also don't include ComicLink sales?

That is one flawed data set.

9fc41e7dabfeef7efd549f98113ba346.png

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

...AND they also don't include ComicLink sales?

Not for a lack of trying though - it's ComicLink that is holding the reins on their data usage unless third parties agree to their terms (Which in CL case they actively want to keep the data 'flawed' with high prices only)

On 12/7/2019 at 1:30 PM, intlnews said:

Should I see if the restoration can be removed?

First see if you can present what it looked like before restoration.   Why that's never been a thing is beyond me. 

Some people get so absolutely bate insane at the thought of somebody touching a book with improper intent that they value books more if it has massive and deliberate defacing sharpie scribbles than they do if it has a tiny bit of vintage color touch.  Or value it more if gigantic chunks are missing from the cover than if the cover has tiny bits of archival tape holding a tear in place, etc, etc.   

BUT -- 

-- when I see a book that's so ultra high grade and "extensive" that it looks to me like, for all I know, it might not even be more than 10% original, I avoid it just as much as anyone else.  

The market is muddled by many types of irrational valuations, some of which mean that if you have a book which will be called "restored" just because it has a tiny bit of bleed-through color touch, then no matter how presentable it is or how much you might want to keep it in it's 99.999% original state, you are stuck with the "taint" of restoration and I can see why some people (actually a lot of people) say "you might as well trick it up to the highest number possible, because you will not, absolutely not, be rewarded for doing your best to avoid doing unnecessary extra work to it.   So intent are the anti-resto extremists that they would prefer to see the book restored further, or -- better yet -- torn apart and sold off in pieces. 

I would absolutely be more confident buying restored books if I was provided scans and detailed info about what it was like before resto, what was done, etc.   I had always thought that as a practice that made so much sense it would have to catch on.   But I think the most radical-fundamentalist anti-restos out there likely consider that either unnecessary (because once a book is touched with bad intent it is cursed forevermore so it matters not what happens after), or, worse, they think it's a threat, that it might legitimize practices they consider desecration.

So we'll just keep going down this road, I guess.  Encouraging people with books "already tainted" to go ahead and restore them further, and encouraging people to tear away parts that have been tainted, or even to tear books into many pieces.   Who knows, maybe the buyer of that souped up Supe 1 can make a pile of money by getting it at the "complete but tainted" price and then cutting it into 34 parts and selling them separately.  

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Very curious of your heritage experience, would you mind sharing?

Horrible. I will never use them again.  I sold some other collectibles through them and they botched the whole auction up. I wouldn't sell a Bazooka wrapper through those clowns. If you have high value comics, check out Metropolis, Mile High or Doug Schmell @ Pedigree Comics. 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

How much did you buy it for and how much did you sell it for?

Let's just say more than was estimated by some posters here. 

On 12/9/2019 at 6:24 PM, bluechip said:

First see if you can present what it looked like before restoration.   Why that's never been a thing is beyond me. 

Some people get so absolutely bate insane at the thought of somebody touching a book with improper intent that they value books more if it has massive and deliberate defacing sharpie scribbles than they do if it has a tiny bit of vintage color touch.  Or value it more if gigantic chunks are missing from the cover than if the cover has tiny bits of archival tape holding a tear in place, etc, etc.   

BUT -- 

-- when I see a book that's so ultra high grade and "extensive" that it looks to me like, for all I know, it might not even be more than 10% original, I avoid it just as much as anyone else.  

The market is muddled by many types of irrational valuations, some of which mean that if you have a book which will be called "restored" just because it has a tiny bit of bleed-through color touch, then no matter how presentable it is or how much you might want to keep it in it's 99.999% original state, you are stuck with the "taint" of restoration and I can see why some people (actually a lot of people) say "you might as well trick it up to the highest number possible, because you will not, absolutely not, be rewarded for doing your best to avoid doing unnecessary extra work to it.   So intent are the anti-resto extremists that they would prefer to see the book restored further, or -- better yet -- torn apart and sold off in pieces. 

I would absolutely be more confident buying restored books if I was provided scans and detailed info about what it was like before resto, what was done, etc.   I had always thought that as a practice that made so much sense it would have to catch on.   But I think the most radical-fundamentalist anti-restos out there likely consider that either unnecessary (because once a book is touched with bad intent it is cursed forevermore so it matters not what happens after), or, worse, they think it's a threat, that it might legitimize practices they consider desecration.

So we'll just keep going down this road, I guess.  Encouraging people with books "already tainted" to go ahead and restore them further, and encouraging people to tear away parts that have been tainted, or even to tear books into many pieces.   Who knows, maybe the buyer of that souped up Supe 1 can make a pile of money by getting it at the "complete but tainted" price and then cutting it into 34 parts and selling them separately.  

Absolutely spot on. Excellent post. 

Especially this line:

"So intent are the anti-resto extremists that they would prefer to see the book restored further, or -- better yet -- torn apart and sold off in pieces."

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

In which way? Is the listing still up in their archives?

I sold off a lot of certified items, many duplicates. The agreement was to list one per auction, they instead listed all of the same items in the same auction. This killed the value I was able to get out of the auction. If you list 8 of the exact same item, with the exact same grade, people are going to take advantage. I found a month later the items sold on eBay for an astronomical amount. I tracked them as I had the cert. #'s in my files. Cost me over 1k in profits, but they didn't care. I then withdrew from the agreement to sell my cert. Spider-man Collection 1 - 50 CGC high grade. They threaten to sue, I said bring it and gave them my attorneys contact information. I will NEVER use those thieves again. The collection keeps on going up in value, so no loss to me on that parcel.

58 minutes ago, intlnews said:

I sold off a lot of certified items, many duplicates. The agreement was to list one per auction, they instead listed all of the same items in the same auction. This killed the value I was able to get out of the auction. If you list 8 of the exact same item, with the exact same grade, people are going to take advantage. I found a month later the items sold on eBay for an astronomical amount. I tracked them as I had the cert. #'s in my files. Cost me over 1k in profits, but they didn't care. I then withdrew from the agreement to sell my cert. Spider-man Collection 1 - 50 CGC high grade. They threaten to sue, I said bring it and gave them my attorneys contact information. I will NEVER use those thieves again. The collection keeps on going up in value, so no loss to me on that parcel.

Thanks for responding and yeah, I can absolutely understand how that happened. It's really dumb on their behalf to have sold it that way, not only did they shoot themselves in the foot but they also destroyed what could have been a very fruitful partnership with you. 

You could always file a complaint here as others with similar stories have:
https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/dallas/profile/auctioneer/heritage-auctions-0875-23003944/complaints

Congrats on your spider-man collection by the way, cool stuff!

Edited by William-James88