• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do with...
1 1

35 posts in this topic

A 6.5 CGC Hawkman #4.

I have one, which I found in a collection and slabbed, but it doesn't fit into any of my collecting focuses.

On one hand Zatanna is an assistant in a 5th rate Las Vegas magic act.

On the other she has potential to be a huge star in the DC multiverse.

So hold or sell?

What would you do - or where do you see Zatanna  heading in the future?

3 minutes ago, Beige said:

A 6.5 CGC Hawkman #4.

I have one, which I found in a collection and slabbed, but it doesn't fit into any of my collecting focuses.

So hold or sell?

I picked up just a 1.5 Hawkman 4 a while back, and have seen a lot of growth even in that grade. It's a fairly rare book, and with a Justice League Dark movie in the works, I'd hold on to it unless you need to sell it now, or need the $$$ to purchase another book.

52 minutes ago, Beige said:

A 6.5 CGC Hawkman #4.

So hold or sell?

:roflmao:Ti ot no dloh dlouw I

32 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Great book,even if your just in it for covers! I've had mine for eleven years,it's going nowhere!

That's not what I heard...., :cool:

9 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I picked up just a 1.5 Hawkman 4 a while back, and have seen a lot of growth even in that grade. It's a fairly rare book, and with a Justice League Dark movie in the works, I'd hold on to it unless you need to sell it now, or need the $$$ to purchase another book.

Is it “fairly rare”? I need one for my a Hawkman run, and I see plenty of them every time I look.

5 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Is it “fairly rare”? I need one for my a Hawkman run, and I see plenty of them every time I look.

No - it is just another "hawt" book that has outpriced itself, leaving excessive copies to languish in dealer inventories, because they think it should sell for more than it is worth.

This seems to be the formula these days.

7 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

You see 'em on eBay, but try to find one out in the wild or at a con. Even so there aren't a ton of copies compared to a lot of other books. Compared to marvel books of equal interest you've got 841 on census for Hawkman 4, with 2,678 for FF 49, and 5,626 for Iron Man 1. Is it rare? No. But it is fairly rare. It ain't common, like I said try to find one at a shop or a con.

P.S. Nice to meet a fellow boardie with a Hawkman run :golfclap:

Edited by HuddyBee

6 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

You see 'em on eBay, but try to find one out in the wild or at a con. Even so there aren't a ton of copies compared to a lot of other books. Compared to marvel books of equal interest you've got 841 on census for Hawkman 4, with 2,678 for FF 49, and 5,626 for Iron Man 1. Is it rare? No. But it is fairly rare. It ain't common, like I said try to find one at a shop or a con.

I agree. Somewhat. There seems to always be some available on the bay, maybe it just doesn't sell that often though. I had looked at it 3-4 years ago, not seeing too many sales at the time, I never picked one up doh! still kind of want one though...

The reason I'm responding though is to say that, a LCS in town that does Facebook Live videos selling comics had a video recently maybe 1-2 weeks ago, and when he was about to announce that book that he picked up in a collection, he prefaced it by saying that he had only picked it up in a collection 3-4 times in his 30 year career....

Might be there aren't many sitting in collections locally in Dallas, but I've heard the sentiment often since getting back in the game in 2014 or there abouts :) 

28 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

P.S. Nice to meet a fellow boardie with a Hawkman run :golfclap:

The only reason there are 835 copies in the census is because it's supposedly "hawt", and people are submitting the book to squeeze money out of that particular issue.  If the census is your criteria for rare, then you should be stockpiling Hawkman 3s (110 on census) or Hawkman 5s (136 on census).  Comparing Marvels to DC is an apples/oranges comparison - there are lot more Marvel collectors out there.  There is no way Hawkman 4 is of equal interest to the collecting world as an FF 49 or Iron Man 1.  I have no idea what the print runs were on these books for a real comparison, but when you can readily find 40-50 copies on eBay at any given time (albeit in garbage grades) the book is not any kind of rare - there are way more copies out there than actual collectors of the series.

That being said, I love the Hawkman run, and the B&B issues.  Beautiful artwork and colors on the DC books of this era.

Hawkman1cgc9.2.jpg

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The only reason there are 835 copies in the census is because it's supposedly "hawt", and people are submitting the book to squeeze money out of that particular issue.  If the census is your criteria for rare, then you should be stockpiling Hawkman 3s (110 on census) or Hawkman 5s (136 on census).  Comparing Marvels to DC is an apples/oranges comparison - there are lot more Marvel collectors out there.  There is no way Hawkman 4 is of equal interest to the collecting world as an FF 49 or Iron Man 1.  I have no idea what the print runs were on these books for a real comparison, but when you can readily find 40-50 copies on eBay at any given time (albeit in garbage grades) the book is not any kind of rare - there are way more copies out there than actual collectors of the series.

Census numbers only matter slightly if a book is collectible and would warrant grading. Issues 3 and 5 aren't keys (*5 is 2nd Shadow Thief) so don't warrant grading making the numbers low. I compared Hawkman 4 to those issues because they sell for similar prices in mid-grade range, and are both "hawt." The comparison was made because more Marvel books survived than DC, as often Marvel books were bought by collectors and preserved, while DC books were by children and often tossed out. SA DC books are more rare than SA Marvel, so if the interest of the market ever shifts from Marvel to DC, you'll see a pretty good increase in DC prices. So when I say "fairly rare," compare it to the competition and you'll see what I am talking about. And yes 40-50 copies can be a sort of "rare." You're on eBay, the books are from all around the world. I've never seen a Hawkman 4 in the wild or at a con. Try to find it at a con or in the wild and tell me it isn't "fairly" hard to find or "rare."

P.S. That 9.2 is a beauty. I've a measly raw 3.0 and 1.8. Gotta love Murphy Anderson tho.

And Joe Kubert... (here's my 34, about a 2.5)

Brave & Bold 34.jpeg

Edited by HuddyBee