• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading NM comics
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a question about grading NM comics. I have the Overstreet Grading Guide. When I look at comics in the NM range in the book it is difficult for me to see the flaws in the pictures. I would assume it would easier to see flaws if you have the books in hand. When I go to a comic store and they have 10 copies of a new comic, what are the things I should look for so I get the best copy? 

On 12/8/2019 at 7:42 AM, Claymation said:

Hello. I have a question about grading NM comics. I have the Overstreet Grading Guide. When I look at comics in the NM range in the book it is difficult for me to see the flaws in the pictures. I would assume it would easier to see flaws if you have the books in hand. When I go to a comic store and they have 10 copies of a new comic, what are the things I should look for so I get the best copy? 

you might want to spend some time in the "hey buddy spare a grade" section of the forum and get some input there about defects to look out from as there are a ton of defects that affect grade and some that barely do and some that greatly affect.. there are way to many to list, but if your going to a shop and looking at 10 copies look for creases, bends, fingerprints, blunted corners, etc.. if you see them on a minty copy chances are its not a minty copy. 

Are you referring to "Brand New" books?

If so, do you ever plan to open them and read them?

Some of the things to look for:  Perfect centering to the cover, minor bumps or dents to the corners, bends or stress lines to the spine, fingerprints, manufacturing errors (such as lines, indents or bends caused by the manufacturing process), staple wear or tears. Basically, any flaw that you can see that diminishes the eye appeal or the integrity of the book.

Happy hunting...

Just now, The Lions Den said:

Some of the things to look for:  Perfect centering to the cover, minor bumps or dents to the corners, bends or stress lines to the spine, fingerprints, manufacturing errors (such as lines, indents or bends caused by the manufacturing process), staple wear or tears. Basically, any flaw that you can see that diminishes the eye appeal or the integrity of the book.

Happy hunting...

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You should be looking for which comics have the art and story that best appeal to your interests...

Of course I would be looking for comics that appeal to me. My question was about grading new comics.

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Happy hunting...

....and holding book horizontal and looking across the cover, in the right light, can help spot some of the minor defects listed here. Highly recommend the suggestion to do your homework on the "... Can You Spare a Grade" Thread... Good luck and welcome.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

You guys are mean. If you want to spend $100-$200 you can probably pick up slabs from 8.0-8.5-9.0-9.2-9.4-9.6-9.8 to get a sense of what these books like in these grades. They might not be the books you're most interested in, but they may help give you a better idea of what books should look like in certain grades. Search completed auctions cgc 9.8 and you will see a bunch of books that could be had for around $15 shipped. Here's a pretty decent BA 8.5 that could have been had for around that much: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Special-10-Jan-Feb-1971-CGC-8-5-/283616758741?hash=item4208e04bd5%3Ag%3AKrwAAOSwsktdgFPn&nma=true&si=k5rBGBi%2BuujbAIA%2FqNJ8cW9pcBQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

6 hours ago, the blob said:

You guys are mean. If you want to spend $100-$200 you can probably pick up slabs from 8.0-8.5-9.0-9.2-9.4-9.6-9.8 to get a sense of what these books like in these grades. They might not be the books you're most interested in, but they may help give you a better idea of what books should look like in certain grades. Search completed auctions cgc 9.8 and you will see a bunch of books that could be had for around $15 shipped. Here's a pretty decent BA 8.5 that could have been had for around that much: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Special-10-Jan-Feb-1971-CGC-8-5-/283616758741?hash=item4208e04bd5%3Ag%3AKrwAAOSwsktdgFPn&nma=true&si=k5rBGBi%2BuujbAIA%2FqNJ8cW9pcBQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You're mean for calling us "mean"!

It's the CGC way...

We only lightly haze, because, how often to we get drive-by posters looking to make a million dollars by entering the collectible selling business with no prior experience or interest in the hobby?

15 hours ago, Claymation said:

I'm going to use them to wall paper my bathroom. Good Grief.

that would be a cool wall paper lol.. 

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're mean for calling us "mean"!

It's the CGC way...

We only lightly haze, because, how often to we get drive-by posters looking to make a million dollars by entering the collectible selling business with no prior experience or interest in the hobby?

I need to fund my retirement somehow. Please stop trying to scare away the fresh money.

17 hours ago, Claymation said:

I'm going to use them to wall paper my bathroom. Good Grief.

Your question peaked my curiosity...

I was only asking since you are asking about grading a brand new book which if handled/opened/read will probably keep it from being a NM/MT 9.8, MT 9.9 or Gem Mint 10.0.

I am in no way trying to be a smarta** or to tell you what to do with any book you own or are going to own in the future, just curious what your plans are for these brand new books.

I have books that I bought brand new back in the early 80's that I had given to my Son which he is now selling, These books have been stored in Mylites with Acid Free Boards in Comic Storage Boxes in the Proper Environment (Light/Temperature) for 30+ years, I just regraded these books and the majority are in the VF 8.0 - NM- 9.2 because they have been handled and read.

Generally, just think of what a book would look like if it were perfect and new fresh of the printing presses, and check from multiple angles in multiple lightings.  The closer it looks to perfect and new, the higher the grade. 

Other items that don't affect the grade necessarily, but might affect eye appeal are centering, wrap, cut, coloring errors or differences, smell, etc. 

58 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Your question peaked my curiosity...

I was only asking since you are asking about grading a brand new book which if handled/opened/read will probably keep it from being a NM/MT 9.8, MT 9.9 or Gem Mint 10.0.

I am in no way trying to be a smarta** or to tell you what to do with any book you own or are going to own in the future, just curious what your plans are for these brand new books.

I have books that I bought brand new back in the early 80's that I had given to my Son which he is now selling, These books have been stored in Mylites with Acid Free Boards in Comic Storage Boxes in the Proper Environment (Light/Temperature) for 30+ years, I just regraded these books and the majority are in the VF 8.0 - NM- 9.2 because they have been handled and read.

piqued*

:baiting: