• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading NM comics
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I think the ultimate high grade books-- those 9.6 and above become extremely hard to grade, maybe even 9.4 and up-- you're talking slight flaws, extremely minor printing errors and factors like the day the grader is having, workload, etc.    I'd be curious if you kept cracking the same three 9.4 - 9.6 and 9.8 books and sending them back in if you'd get the exact same result every time.   

If you're buying off the rack, definitely don't take the first copy that everyone handles, and maybe take out your phone and shine a light on it to look for any minor flaws.   

I don't care about this myself, but I respect a fellow collector who does.   As for the idea that no modern comics are any good-- you have to look harder-- that's a pretty lousy blanket statement, and disrespectful to creators who are out there trying to do their best.

I'm amazed by 40-50 year olds who still only read superhero comics.   Take a chance on what else is out there.

12 hours ago, AndyFish said:

...As for the idea that no modern comics are any good-- you have to look harder-- that's a pretty lousy blanket statement, and disrespectful to creators who are out there trying to do their best...

There isn't a complete absence, but my lord, it's difficult to find anything that isn't drek.

22 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

piqued*

:baiting:

I have been speaking/reading this language for 64 years and I still do not understand why it is so complicated.

The one that drives me nuts the most is Goose/Geese and Moose/Moose, why can't the plural be Meese (and not the kind Mr.Jinx hates)

In my 64 years on this planet I have never seen or read the word "piqued" so you taught me something new and that is one of my goals everyday, to learn something new.

What to Know

Peek is sight related and often refers to looking quickly or through a small space. A homophone, peak is a noun or verb that refers to a maximum or high point figuratively or literally, as in the peak of a mountain or "peak performance." Lastly, a third homophone pique, means "to excite or arouse" and is usually used with "curiosity."

3 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have been speaking/reading this language for 64 years and I still do not understand why it is so complicated.

The one that drives me nuts the most is Goose/Geese and Moose/Moose, why can't the plural be Meese (and not the kind Mr.Jinx hates)

In my 64 years on this planet I have never seen or read the word "piqued" so you taught me something new and that is one of my goals everyday, to learn something new.

What to Know

Peek is sight related and often refers to looking quickly or through a small space. A homophone, peak is a noun or verb that refers to a maximum or high point figuratively or literally, as in the peak of a mountain or "peak performance." Lastly, a third homophone pique, means "to excite or arouse" and is usually used with "curiosity."

:roflmao:

Maybe it has to do with Mammal vs Fowl?

The English language has so many words that are pronounced the same yet have different meanings (and usually different spelling - unlike read and read).

36 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

lol I've only been speaking/reading for 31, but GEEZE is it filled with ridiculous intricacies and variations.

@Claymation, in regards to your original question: I struggle with the same problem in terms of what VISUALLY makes a 9.4 vs 9.6 vs 9.8. The understanding that I have now has come from buying various graded book and trial/error with CGC. I just sent 4 copies of Moon Knight #1 that I thought were PERFECT, yet only 1came back as a 9.8 (rest were all 9.6). Doesn't help when CGC doesn't provide any Grader Notes on what imperfection kept the books from being 9.8 (shrug)

On 12/11/2019 at 12:40 PM, Aarrow108 said:

lol I've only been speaking/reading for 31, but GEEZE is it filled with ridiculous intricacies and variations.

@Claymation, in regards to your original question: I struggle with the same problem in terms of what VISUALLY makes a 9.4 vs 9.6 vs 9.8. The understanding that I have now has come from buying various graded book and trial/error with CGC. I just sent 4 copies of Moon Knight #1 that I thought were PERFECT, yet only 1came back as a 9.8 (rest were all 9.6). Doesn't help when CGC doesn't provide any Grader Notes on what imperfection kept the books from being 9.8 (shrug)

yeah I learnt the difference by trial and error and even every so often I will surprised by the grade.. 

One thing I did learn from the small amount of time I spent buying new books is that don't go with the first book on the shelf as its probably been handled the most and will maybe get your a 8.5 or 9.0... 

On 12/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, AndyFish said:

I think the ultimate high grade books-- those 9.6 and above become extremely hard to grade, maybe even 9.4 and up-- you're talking slight flaws, extremely minor printing errors and factors like the day the grader is having, workload, etc.    I'd be curious if you kept cracking the same three 9.4 - 9.6 and 9.8 books and sending them back in if you'd get the exact same result every time.   

If you're buying off the rack, definitely don't take the first copy that everyone handles, and maybe take out your phone and shine a light on it to look for any minor flaws.   

I don't care about this myself, but I respect a fellow collector who does.   As for the idea that no modern comics are any good-- you have to look harder-- that's a pretty lousy blanket statement, and disrespectful to creators who are out there trying to do their best.

I'm amazed by 40-50 year olds who still only read superhero comics.   Take a chance on what else is out there.

Legit question here as I only just started, and I cut out the middle man and only buy CGC 9.8s.  (For reading I get the omnibuses and whatnot.)  But the notion of hitting the streets and scouring for 9.8-quality raws is interesting.  As a practical matter, it's hard to imagine, however, how that can possibly work considering how many people are no doubt trying to do the same.  So your local store opens up and a line of people just bumrush stacks and start tearing them apart looking for the 9.8+s while manhandling the 9.4-s?  Seems kind of lawless.  Unless there really aren't that many serious collectors going to these stores, but I'm not sure who else would be keeping those stores in business.  Seems like casuals, like me, would just hit the omnibuses or w/e on Amazon or the like.

13 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Legit question here as I only just started, and I cut out the middle man and only buy CGC 9.8s.  (For reading I get the omnibuses and whatnot.)  But the notion of hitting the streets and scouring for 9.8-quality raws is interesting.  As a practical matter, it's hard to imagine, however, how that can possibly work considering how many people are no doubt trying to do the same.  So your local store opens up and a line of people just bumrush stacks and start tearing them apart looking for the 9.8+s while manhandling the 9.4-s?  Seems kind of lawless.  Unless there really aren't that many serious collectors going to these stores, but I'm not sure who else would be keeping those stores in business.  Seems like casuals, like me, would just hit the omnibuses or w/e on Amazon or the like.

There aren't that many Moderns worth scouring to slab.

I dont think there is a bum rush to get in there and frantically scour through the racks to get a minty copy.. most shops that I visit only have a few people at a time also a lot of people collecting moderns in my area at least have pull lists set up so the store owner sets aside their books when they come in so there is no rush to get in... I would suggest if you like a particular series set up a pull list with the store, or if your trying to flip books to make profit.. might want to invest in something a bit more sound and with less risk than doing the modern book flips. Just my opinion. 

Best of luck

On 12/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, Poekaymon said:

Just seemed more fun than anything else.  It's both comforting and sad to know that there aren't that many people interested in doing it.  More sad, I guess.

"Sad" that people aren't flocking to the LCS to scour for 9.8s of drek comics?