• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key comic missing top staple
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I need your expert advice :)

This nice mid grade copy of FF48 has no top staple.

As you can see in the pictures, it is a production defect.

Does CGC take it into account when grading it ? If so what is the down grade ?

Does the comic get a Universal blue label ? If not what label ?

Thanks for your helpful insight !!!

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

1 minute ago, silverweb said:

Should get a blue label. I do not think CGC will downgrade it for a production defect Maybe other boardies have some examples of this defect that went through grading. Most collectors would prefer a two stapled copy.

Thanks for your input. I don't think CGC would write on the label top staple missing. Would they?

41 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Thanks for your input. I don't think CGC would write on the label top staple missing. Would they?

On another thread on the forum, I actually found my answer.

CGC does write : Manufactured with 1 staple only. I wonder if they still do that ? How will it affect the value of the comic ?

Does anyone know ?

16 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Would you pay the same for that book as you would for the same grade with both staples? it’ll be a little less IMHO. 

Depends on the buyer. Yes I suppose I'd pay a little less. It's still a blue label :) 

I will try to find a record of a sale with only one staple but it will be a challenge for this book.

Maybe another recorded sale of another book.

Edited by migmtl76

41 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Depends on the buyer. Yes I suppose I'd pay a little less. It's still a blue label :) 

I will try to find a record of a sale with only one staple but it will be a challenge for this book.

Maybe another recorded sale of another book.

I wouldn’t worry that much about it... as you said, it’s still a blue label. And when I say a little less, I think it’ll sell in the lower range of what other similarly graded FF48’s go for. 

10 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I think there are buyers out there that would pay more hm. Manufactured problem books must have collectors that like these things IMO (thumbsu

Maybe. But I doubt it. I had a miscut GSXM1 at 9.0... they were selling for 3200-3400 at the time. It sold for 3000. 

Double cover would be a different story. :)

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Maybe. But I doubt it. I had a miscut GSXM1 at 9.0... they were selling for 3200-3400 at the time. It sold for 3000. 

Double cover would be a different story. :)

Miscut I agree. It shows big time.

A missing staple is hardly noticeable in a slab.

5 hours ago, woowoo said:

I will pay more than guide just to prove a point :takeit::whee:

I have this printing error 'Inverted Jenny' that I could sell you for the low, low price of $1,000,000.00 US greenbacks. Guaranteed authentic by Pgx. PayPal accepted. Shipping is extra. I only ship to Continental Canada or USA. Signature not required. Merry X-mas:

bKwDhbh.jpg

3 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I have this printing error 'Inverted Jenny' that I could sell you for the low, low price of $1,000,000.00 US greenbacks. Guaranteed authentic by Pgx. PayPal accepted. Shipping is extra. I only ship to Continental Canada or USA. Signature not required. Merry X-mas:

bKwDhbh.jpg

I have a copy but Not pgx graded  :whatthe: your the guy 1350020054_kidsayingya.gif.1d084fb8b84d02bf5f2afa8884bf99cf.gif

6 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Miscut I agree. It shows big time.

A missing staple is hardly noticeable in a slab.

I apologize in advance for raining on your parade, but a book with only one staple isn't quite as desirable as a book with two staples. And that notation will almost certainly be on the label for everyone to see. Add to that the noticeable tanning on the book (which will also be visible in the slab) and you have a slightly less desirable copy, IMO. It should still get a blue Universal label (unless there's restoration or some other major defect) and CGC won't downgrade for the missing staple. They very likely will downgrade for the tanning, however...

Whatever you do with the book, I certainly wish you the best of luck...  (thumbsu

24 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I apologize in advance for raining on your parade, but a book with only one staple isn't quite as desirable as a book with two staples. And that notation will almost certainly be on the label for everyone to see. Add to that the noticeable tanning on the book (which will also be visible in the slab) and you have a slightly less desirable copy, IMO. It should still get a blue Universal label (unless there's restoration or some other major defect) and CGC won't downgrade for the missing staple. They very likely will downgrade for the tanning, however...

Whatever you do with the book, I certainly wish you the best of luck...  (thumbsu

Thanks for your opinion. May I ask what grade and page color would you give it? 5.0 Cream to Off White ?