• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any reliable way to tell if a book has already been pressed?

5 posts in this topic

I’m thinking of sending in a few to be pressed/regraded hoping for that 9.8...I’m just wondering if anyone has a reliable way to tell if the book has already been pressed?  Any thoughts on these 3 books? I took pictures of what I thought to be the minor flaws that caused the 9.6...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Having experimented with the process myself, a couple of things I’ve learned through trial and error are:

ink transfer from splash and rear wrap to inner cover wraps

a distinct smell of scorched paper. May not be visible but the smell is unmistakable

pages stuck together from not immediately fanning out the pages so they open easily

and you’ll rarely if ever have color breaks without some evidence of indentation

the better/more experienced the presser, the less noticeable these things will be when inspecting a book. Sometimes they’re obvious even when having already been slabbed. Yours appear pretty free of any of those signs imo

Edited by B2D327