• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 9.8 with ticks?
2 2

128 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

This

Weird for there to be no observable consistent meaning for a grade. 10 spine ticks is a 9.8. Zero spine ticks is a 9.8. Dog chewed is a 9.8. It's my secret and no one can say what a 9.8 is!

I thought grading used written criteria to compare against. So if my meaning for a 9.8 means 1 allowed small spine tick, I would be in error if I graded a comic with 20 spine ticks a 9.8. Seems pretty sensible to me but you guys are kind of saying all grades are valid and there is no such thing as an error.

Edited by eastcoaster

2 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

Weird for there to be no observable consistent meaning for a grade. 10 spine ticks is a 9.8. Zero spine ticks is a 9.8. Dog chewed is a 9.8. It's my secret and no one can say what a 9.8 is!

I thought grading used written criteria to compare against. So if my meaning for a 9.8 means 1 allowed small spine tick, I would be in error if I graded a comic with 20 spine ticks a 9.8. Seems pretty sensible to me. Only if I declared 20 spine ticks still qualified as 9.8 would this make sense.

No offense. It looks like a conflicting grade IMO.

My mom always told me

"Lower your expectations son, admire things for what they are, not for what you want them to be and you'll never be disappointed"

Just now, BaronSamedi said:

My mom always told me

"Lower your expectations son, admire things for what they are, not for what you want them to be and you'll never be disappointed"

Is there a CGC remedy to a mistake?

2 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

No, this is just plain wrong. You're (incorrectly) basing this off the fact that one book in a 9.8 holder has multiple color breaking spine ticks. 99.9% of 9.8s don't.

5 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

I thought grading used written criteria to compare against. So if my meaning for a 9.8 means 1 allowed small spine tick, I would be in error if I graded a comic with 20 spine ticks a 9.8. Seems pretty sensible to me. Only if I declared 20 spine ticks still qualified as 9.8 would this make sense.

No one is saying there is no criteria for CGC's grading, only that it isn't public information.

1 minute ago, eastcoaster said:

Is there a CGC remedy to a mistake?

You bought it as a 9.8, so I'm assuming you paid a 9.8 price. The "remedy" would be for them to re-grade it, and it would come back much lower. Then you'd have paid a 9.8 price for an 8.0 (or whatever it is). You need to return the book to the seller.

2 minutes ago, Foley said:

You bought it as a 9.8, so I'm assuming you paid a 9.8 price. The "remedy" would be for them to re-grade it, and it would come back much lower. Then you'd have paid a 9.8 price for an 8.0 (or whatever it is). You need to return the book to the seller.

That is one remedy but if they regraded it an 8.0, their initial grade must have been an error... it can't be a 9.8 and 8.0. This error cost money so a remedy could be to offer a 9.8 book I was satisfied with.

Edited by eastcoaster

9 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

My mom always told me

Doesn't really apply. If you pay $25,000 for a new car and you find out the engine has serious malfunctions, you are not going to lower your expectations and appreciate it for what it is.

8 minutes ago, Foley said:

No, this is just plain wrong. You're (incorrectly) basing this off the fact that one book in a 9.8 holder has multiple color breaking spine ticks. 99.9% of 9.8s don't.

No one is saying there is no criteria for CGC's grading, only that it isn't public information.

Right so if 99.9% of 9.8s would not have spine ticks like the one I showed why is it hard for people to see it's an error instead of just saying their grading is subjective and unknowable??? Lol

1 minute ago, eastcoaster said:

Doesn't really apply. If you pay $25,000 for a new car and you find out the engine has serious malfunctions, you are not going to lower your expectations and appreciate it for what it is.

It does when your buying a book for its financial value.

6 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

This error cost money so a remedy could be to offer a 9.8 book I was satisfied with.

That's not how it works. And where would they get a 9.8 book from? They don't own a repository of books to offer out if an error occurs.