• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 9.8 with ticks?
2 2

128 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not sure if it's already been said, but your ebay seller may claim that the grade is 'guaranteed' and cause bother. Why not post a picture in the 'ask CGC' section and see what they say?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

Or email them. Brittany usually reponds well to customer service issues. 

It would be interesting for all of us to see how they respond. You could argue that it is their fault that you have paid a 9.8 price for what clearly looks to be a lower condition copy. If it is a grading or labelling error, and not the result of manipulation somehow, then I would imagine they would want to put things right even though you purchased it from ebay. Why not give it a try? 

I will try the eBay return route as I am not satisfied. 

1 hour ago, eastcoaster said:

Weird for there to be no observable consistent meaning for a grade. 10 spine ticks is a 9.8. Zero spine ticks is a 9.8. Dog chewed is a 9.8. It's my secret and no one can say what a 9.8 is!

I thought grading used written criteria to compare against. So if my meaning for a 9.8 means 1 allowed small spine tick, I would be in error if I graded a comic with 20 spine ticks a 9.8. Seems pretty sensible to me but you guys are kind of saying all grades are valid and there is no such thing as an error.

You won't ever hear me say that...  lol 

But seriously, this may not be a grading error. It's very easy to get books mixed up when you have multiple copies of the same book in one invoice. It's also easy to enter the wrong grade when you're grading hundreds of books every day. The computer system can actually be the cause of some of these mistakes. 

The bottom line is that you really don't want to be on the wrong end of one of these "oversights..." 

Edited by The Lions Den

6 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

You won't ever hear me say that...  lol 

But seriously, this may not be a grading error. It's very easy to get books mixed up when you have multiple copies of the same book in one invoice. It's also easy to enter the wrong grade when you're grading hundreds of books every day...

Sure I get it but assigning the right label is pretty important.

34 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not sure if it's already been said, but your ebay seller may claim that the grade is 'guaranteed' and cause bother. Why not post a picture in the 'ask CGC' section and see what they say?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

Or email them. Brittany usually reponds well to customer service issues. 

It would be interesting for all of us to see how they respond. You could argue that it is their fault that you have paid a 9.8 price for what clearly looks to be a lower condition copy. If it is a grading or labelling error, and not the result of manipulation somehow, then I would imagine they would want to put things right even though you purchased it from ebay. Why not give it a try? 

True, I think it is bad for the integrity of the grading system for them to let copies like this be out there.

Thanks for the pictures. Holding and examining a slabbed comic book and the case itself is different than seeing pictures of it.  That said:

1. your exact purchase is relatively easy to find on ebay.  The defects while noticeable are not as apparent, however they are there to see. 

2. Contact the seller and see if he will take a return. 

3. I do not think of this as a good example of a CGC 9.8 however I did not think it was a good example when I looked it up on ebay.

4. Photography light can play tricks when looking at slab corners and welds, if you have doubts take it to someone that can examine it in person and will know what they are talking about.

9 minutes ago, boatfund said:

Thanks for the pictures. Holding and examining a slabbed comic book and the case itself is different than seeing pictures of it.  That said:

1. your exact purchase is relatively easy to find on ebay.  The defects while noticeable are not as apparent, however they are there to see. 

2. Contact the seller and see if he will take a return. 

3. I do not think of this as a good example of a CGC 9.8 however I did not think it was a good example when I looked it up on ebay.

4. Photography light can play tricks when looking at slab corners and welds, if you have doubts take it to someone that can examine it in person and will know what they are talking about.

The defects are very prominent in person. Hard for me to accurately assess online. 

I am not really too sure about the fraud angle. I simply want to return it and move on.

Edited by eastcoaster

2 hours ago, eastcoaster said:

Weird for there to be no observable consistent meaning for a grade. 10 spine ticks is a 9.8. Zero spine ticks is a 9.8. Dog chewed is a 9.8. It's my secret and no one can say what a 9.8 is!

I thought grading used written criteria to compare against. So if my meaning for a 9.8 means 1 allowed small spine tick, I would be in error if I graded a comic with 20 spine ticks a 9.8. Seems pretty sensible to me but you guys are kind of saying all grades are valid and there is no such thing as an error.

to answer the point you have been trying to make that there is no published exact guide available to the public to determine grades. CGC has released videos if you watch them on how they explain their reasoning for some of the grades and by the 1 million books examples people have made general ideas of how they grade learning from what was a defect and how badly those defects are hit on the grade. 

For example many of us know that stains are hit really hard and would drop a significant amount depending on severity of the stain how many pages has it gone through etc... there is not exact science to explain grades is what @theCapraAegagrus is trying to tell you its all very subjective. All CGC does is try to explain away those super debatable and high subjective defects that affect condition of a comic so there can be some stability to selling comics with out everyone saying NM - to + etc.. 

at the end of the day its a experts opinion, experts are known to be wrong too or make mistakes they are human.. this seems like a mistake was made. if you contact them I am positive they would correct it for you if you want. 

8 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

to answer the point you have been trying to make that there is no published exact guide available to the public to determine grades. CGC has released videos if you watch them on how they explain their reasoning for some of the grades and by the 1 million books examples people have made general ideas of how they grade learning from what was a defect and how badly those defects are hit on the grade. 

For example many of us know that stains are hit really hard and would drop a significant amount depending on severity of the stain how many pages has it gone through etc... there is not exact science to explain grades is what @theCapraAegagrus is trying to tell you its all very subjective. All CGC does is try to explain away those super debatable and high subjective defects that affect condition of a comic so there can be some stability to selling comics with out everyone saying NM - to + etc.. 

at the end of the day its a experts opinion, experts are known to be wrong too or make mistakes they are human.. this seems like a mistake was made. if you contact them I am positive they would correct it for you if you want. 

It is only subjective within limits. It's pretty clear to most people that when those limits are broken then you are into error territory. E.g., cover missing cannot be a 9.8. There is no value to a grading system if it cannot produce self-consistent results (I acknowledge some wiggle room is allowed).

Like a previous poster said, 99.9% of 9.8s would not have these spine ticks and probably 99.9% of collectors would not consider it a 9.8 so I think it's very reasonable to say an error was made whether we know the exact grading criteria or not. 

I think you have received some sound advice.  Personally, I would return it, but at the same time I would like to know CGC's position on this matter. I mean clearly, that is not what a collector would consider a 9.8. 

What was your primary reason for purchasing this book? 

If you’re intention is to sell at some point in the future, will you advertise this as a 9.8 book or a 9.2 that happened to score higher for whatever reason?

If your purchase was solely to own the best version of the book possible, obviously that didn’t happen.

So I don’t see a winning outcome here for anyone unless you are able to return it.  If you can’t, you have a few less favorable options:

1). Sell the ‘9.8’ and kick the can down the road to the next buyer (please don’t).

2). Sell as a 9.8 that ‘presents’ like a 9.2 (honest, but not sure I’ve ever seen this).

3). Crack it and sell raw with plenty of pictures and hope to recoup your money (Caveat emptor).

4). Learn to live with it but stare at the those ticks every time you look at the book.

5). Give it to me to relieve the stress (win/win scenario).

1 hour ago, XxSpideyxX said:

What was your primary reason for purchasing this book? 

If you’re intention is to sell at some point in the future, will you advertise this as a 9.8 book or a 9.2 that happened to score higher for whatever reason?

If your purchase was solely to own the best version of the book possible, obviously that didn’t happen.

So I don’t see a winning outcome here for anyone unless you are able to return it.  If you can’t, you have a few less favorable options:

1). Sell the ‘9.8’ and kick the can down the road to the next buyer (please don’t).

2). Sell as a 9.8 that ‘presents’ like a 9.2 (honest, but not sure I’ve ever seen this).

3). Crack it and sell raw with plenty of pictures and hope to recoup your money (Caveat emptor).

4). Learn to live with it but stare at the those ticks every time you look at the book.

5). Give it to me to relieve the stress (win/win scenario).

My plan is to return it.

Edited by eastcoaster