• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 9.8 with ticks?
2 2

128 posts in this topic

Its likely a quality control issue...  That particular book is submitted in huge batches.  I know someone who just submitted 3 dozen of them at once.  The boardies who have been around for awhile have seen more than one occasion where two of the same books from the same invoice get switched.  One which comes to mind was a pair of SA ASM 15's.  One was a 5.x and the other was a 7.5 I believe.  It was extremely obvious the two were erroneously switched and put in the wrong case/label.  I'm not sure this copy would get above an 8.5.  Would be interesting to resub and see what it comes back as.  In addition, those who have actually cracked the current generation case knows It's impossible to crack a book without causing very noticeable damage.  Unless the case was assembled incorrectly I'm 99.9% sure there's no way you could crack and replace a book without it looking like a bad joke.  Good luck with the return.  Let us know how it pans out.

Edited by comicquant

3 hours ago, comicquant said:

Its likely a quality control issue...  That particular book is submitted in huge batches.  I know someone who just submitted 3 dozen of them at once.  The boardies who have been around for awhile have seen more than one occasion where two of the same books from the same invoice get switched.  One which comes to mind was a pair of SA ASM 15's.  One was a 5.x and the other was a 7.5 I believe.  It was extremely obvious the two were erroneously switched and put in the wrong case/label.  I'm not sure this copy would get above an 8.5.  Would be interesting to resub and see what it comes back as.  In addition, those who have actually cracked the current generation case knows It's impossible to crack a book without causing very noticeable damage.  Unless the case was assembled incorrectly I'm 99.9% sure there's no way you could crack and replace a book without it looking like a bad joke.  Good luck with the return.  Let us know how it pans out.

The seller was a normal collector so I doubt he had more than one graded. 

8 hours ago, namisgr said:

if return accepted then /thread

This is clearly a labelling error on the part of CGC.  

Many people said that they didn't think it was anywhere close to a 9.8 but buy the book not the grade, giving a clear error a pass. 

Edited by eastcoaster

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

This doesn't mean what you think it does.

Feel free to elaborate. I interpret it as no matter the grade still inspect the book carefully to make sure it matches your expectation. I agree but still think a 9.8 grade should put boundaries on the defects. I.e., not 10 terrible spine ticks or a missing cover.

If it is, indeed, a labelling error on the part of CGC, then it's not a book that was graded 9.8.  If one were 'buying the book' and wanted a pristine copy of ASM252, this wouldn't be the copy.

Not actually that subjective. If you make a list of rules for a grade, you can check if the rule got violated. E.g., more than one spine tick measuring 1/16 can be spotted and measured with a ruler. Sure there is some eye of the beholder in the final  but many things can be objectively measured and used to grade.

It's very simple... multiple large spine ticks is not a 9.8. If you believe otherwise, buy our 9.8s with spine ticks! :)

Edited by eastcoaster

8 hours ago, eastcoaster said:

Not actually that subjective. If you make a list of rules for a grade, you can check if the rule got violated. E.g., more than one spine tick measuring 1/16 can be spotted and measured with a ruler. Sure there is some eye of the beholder in the final  but many things can be objectively measured and used to grade.

It's very simple... multiple large spine ticks is not a 9.8. If you believe otherwise, buy our 9.8s with spine ticks! :)

Except for the fact that there are no universal rules.

Hence, subjective. CGC has their own guidelines. CBCS has their own guidelines. PGX has their own guidelines. OPG has their own guidelines. I have my own guidelines.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Except for the fact that there are no universal rules.

Hence, subjective. CGC has their own guidelines. CBCS has their own guidelines. PGX has their own guidelines. OPG has their own guidelines. I have my own guidelines.

Sure, CGC does have it's own rules and there are many results of these rules out there.

My issue with this thread was the notion that the spine ticks must be OK in 9.8 because CGC is applying it's own mysterious grading criteria. This goes against 99.99% of all the comics they graded, the collective expectation of a 9.8 (which certainly does exist), the decades old Overstreet guide that they've aligned with, and common sense for a mint conditon anything. You are correct that I have my own 9.8 definition but it's informed by all of the above.

I accept your right to be an outlier and define a 9.8 however you want. You'll be able to buy many more 9.8s (aka 8.5s) than everyone else! ;)

Edited by eastcoaster

8 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

Sure, CGC does have it's own rules and there are many results of these rules out there.

My issue with this thread was the notion that the spine ticks must be OK in 9.8 because CGC is applying it's own mysterious grading criteria. This goes against 99.99% of all the comics they graded, the collective expectation of a 9.8 (which certainly does exist), the decades old Overstreet guide that they've aligned with, and common sense for a mint conditon anything. You are correct that I have my own 9.8 definition but it's informed by all of the above.

I accept your right to be an outlier and define a 9.8 however you want. You'll be able to buy many more 9.8s (aka 8.5s) than everyone else! ;)

Everyone else has told you otherwise - but you persist with this nonsense. There is no "collective" anything.

9.8 is not "mint condition", either.

You have no option other than to accept anyone else's opinions. Just because I respect CGC's ability to print their own opinion on their own label doesn't mean anything regarding your last meaningless sentence.

"We don't know what CGC's grading standards are - that is the point. It's a 'trade secret' of theirs to avoid discussions like this."
54 minutes ago, Foley said:

I'm pretty sure no one said this except for you. 

"We don't know what CGC's grading standards are - that is the point. It's a 'trade secret' of theirs to avoid discussions like this."

Yup, we don't have a clue what their 9.8 means....

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Everyone else has told you otherwise - but you persist with this nonsense. There is no "collective" anything.

9.8 is not "mint condition", either.

You have no option other than to accept anyone else's opinions. Just because I respect CGC's ability to print their own opinion on their own label doesn't mean anything regarding your last meaningless sentence.

Lol, the whole basis of value of a grading company is to provide a meaningful grade that accurately describes the books condition, based on their own standards. When their opinion clearly counters all their own past examples, something is wrong, and the value of the opinions is damaged. Seems pretty basic to me.