• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 252 9.8 with ticks?
2 2

128 posts in this topic

I recently got a CGC 9.8 and was shocked to see many color breaking spine ticks.

Based on my own collection I don't see how this could possibly be a 9.8. 

Please take a look and see if I'm out of my mind. Thank you for your opinions.

20191208_151324.jpg

15758471030198202588652395764452.jpg

Edited by eastcoaster
new pic

8 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

There is no way this is a 9.8.

And it appears as if that case has been cracked open, doesn't it? 

Thanks for your reply! The case posts look OK. From the pic, how does it look cracked open?

How do I check if the case was tampered with?

The census says it was graded 11/19.

Edited by eastcoaster

9 hours ago, eastcoaster said:

Thanks for your reply! The case posts look OK. From the pic, how does it look cracked open?

How do I check if the case was tampered with?

The census says it was graded 11/19.

Man, if that comic got a 9.8 with all those spine tics, I've got hundreds of comics to send in NOW!

41 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

9.0-9.4 maybe.

I have 9.4s and 9.2s that look much better. I can see maybe a 9.0 or lower.

Does CGC help out if they've grossly misgraded? I mean the grades have to mean something otherwise the integrity of the system is compromised.

Just now, eastcoaster said:

I have 9.4s and 9.2s that look much better. I can see maybe a 9.0 or lower.

Does CGC help out if they've grossly misgraded? I mean the grades have to mean something otherwise the integrity of the system is compromised.

Grading is subjective. Mr. Magoo might see a 9.8 here. Idk.

I can't recall any times CGC has offered to re-grade a book for free.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Grading is subjective. Mr. Magoo might see a 9.8 here. Idk.

I can't recall any times CGC has offered to re-grade a book for free.

Mr. Magoo is making millions based on providing a standard for grading comics. If the process has no remedy against grading errors, then you can assign any grade and it doesn't matter because whatever is on the case is "correct" and indisputable.

I don't think re-grading would help beyond proving it shouldn't have been a 9.8. I mean do they stand behind their grading with any warranty?

If that's a 9.8 I am very shaken about buying CGC 9.8s.

Grading is subjective but there are written standards and I can't believe several bad spine ticks still qualify as a 9.8. All 9.8s I own look pretty much perfect.

Edited by eastcoaster

2 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

I don't think re-grading would help beyond proving it shouldn't have been a 9.8. I mean do they stand behind their grading with any warranty?

If that's a 9.8 I am very shaken about buying CGC 9.8s.

Grading is subjective but there are written standards and I can't believe several bad spine ticks still qualify as a 9.8. All 9.8s I own look pretty much perfect.

Read the back of the CGC label.

We don't know what CGC's "standards" are. There are no universal grading standards.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Read the back of the CGC label.

We don't know what CGC's "standards" are. There are no universal grading standards.

I thought there was an announcement that they were pretty much in sync with Overstreet.

Clearly the collecting community has ideas about each grade. Not many people replied so far but I'm doubtful a single person on this board would think that comic was a 9.8 or 9.6 candidate.

Well, a proper test would be submitting the same comic hundreds of times and plot the grades. Something that's difficult to do, unfortunately. But there would be errors...errors we have to live within the real world because of one-shot grading. Still, the grading goes through several people to protect against this.

1 minute ago, eastcoaster said:

I thought there was an announcement that they were pretty much in sync with Overstreet.

Clearly the collecting community has ideas about each grade. Not many people replied so far but I'm doubtful a single person on this board would think that comic was a 9.8 or 9.6 candidate.

Well, a proper test would be submitting the same comic hundreds of times and plot the grades. Something that's difficult to do, unfortunately. But there would be errors...errors we have to live within the real world because of one-shot grading. Still, the grading goes through several people to protect against this.

Nope.

Everyone has their own opinion about any certain grade on any specific comic book. That's how subjectivity works. CGC may think this is a 9.8 - I personally don't.

Did you submit this, or did you buy it on the aftermarket?

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nope.

Everyone has their own opinion about any certain grade on any specific comic book. That's how subjectivity works. CGC may think this is a 9.8 - I personally don't.

Bought it on eBay from someone who is an experienced collector. They didn't mention the spine ticks and they are barely visible in the photo. I bought a lemon.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nope.

If I write a standard saying more than one small spine tick disqualifies a comic from being a 9.8 and a comic with 8 bad ticks still is graded a 9.8, what is the point of grading? 

Everyone may have their own ideas but certainly any grading body has to at least be self-consistent for their grading to have meaning!

Edited by eastcoaster

4 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

Bought it on eBay from someone who is an experienced collector. They didn't mention the spine ticks and they are barely visible in the photo. I bought a lemon.

If I was you, I would talk to the seller about returning this.

Did you buy the book, or the label? Were the spine ticks, if visible, glossed over because of the 9.8 CGC grade?

2 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

If I write a standard saying more than one small spine tick disqualifies a comic from being a 9.8 and a comic with 8 bad ticks still is graded a 9.8, what is the point of grading? 

Everyone may have their own ideas but certainly any grading body has to at least be self-consistent for their grading to have meaning!

We don't know what CGC's grading standards are - that is the point. It's a 'trade secret' of theirs to avoid discussions like this.

The CGC grade doesn't have much meaning. It's simply the agreed upon grade between 3 individuals who work in FL. That's why many people will tell you to "buy the book - not the label". For me, the service is worth it for authentication and restoration detection. I think that most of us want the best-presenting comic, though.

CGC's opinions are simply highly-regarded. They're not concrete.

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

We don't know what CGC's grading standards are - that is the point. It's a 'trade secret' of theirs to avoid discussions like this.

The CGC grade doesn't have much meaning. It's simply the agreed upon grade between 3 individuals who work in FL. That's why many people will tell you to "buy the book - not the label". For me, the service is worth it for authentication and restoration detection. I think that most of us want the best-presenting comic, though.

CGC's opinions are simply highly-regarded. They're not concrete.

So basically just shrug at any and every grade? Just send in any old book and getting a high grade is a black box random function? 

I'm sure there is some rhyme or reason to grading process but if it defines itself as never wrong with no discernable criteria then it is simply a random grade generator and grades are not linked to condition. Bizarre.

26 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If I was you, I would talk to the seller about returning this.

Did you buy the book, or the label? Were the spine ticks, if visible, glossed over because of the 9.8 CGC grade?

I put some trust in CGC's grade but thought the book was in better condition otherwise I never would have bought it. I only saw the true condition when I received it.

I feel like the seller would have been aware of the issue and chose not to highlight it so they could unload it.

Edited by eastcoaster

1 minute ago, eastcoaster said:

So basically just shrug at any and every grade? Just send in any old book and getting a high grade is a black box random function? 

I'm sure there is some rhyme or reason to grading process but if it defines itself as never wrong with no discernable criteria then it is simply a random grade generator and grades are not linked to condition. Bizarre.

What else can we do? If CGC wasn't respected as a grading house then they wouldn't be in business.

Of course CGC has standards that they try to implement and be consistent with, but, we have no clue what they are. All you can do is buy the comic that you think looks best within your budget.

Nobody's perfect. Look at what Joss Whedon did with The Avengers. Then look at what he did with Justice League. Grading can yield the same kind of conflicting results.

16 hours ago, eastcoaster said:

I recently got a CGC 9.8 and was shocked to see many color breaking spine ticks.

Based on my own collection I don't see how this could possibly be a 9.8. 

Please take a look and see if I'm out of my mind. Thank you for your opinions.

20191208_151324.jpg

15758471030198202588652395764452.jpg

Please show us a picture of the book in it's entirety in the case showing the grade. And also closeups of the corner posts.

31 minutes ago, boatfund said:

Please show us a picture of the book in it's entirety in the case showing the grade. And also closeups of the corner posts.

+1