• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eternals Vs New Gods

34 posts in this topic

I always felt they were quite different.

Fourth World, a conflict between two post-Ragnarok factions of new gods, Eternals about alien experimentation on our early hominid ancestors.

However, the upcoming film interpretation of The Eternals seems to be reimagining them as an alien species; for me too similar to the Asgardians, and, therefore, to DC’s New Gods.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

However, the upcoming film interpretation of The Eternals seems to be reimagining them as an alien species; for me too similar to the Asgardians, and, therefore, to DC’s New Gods.

Does that mean DC will have a hard time pushing a New Gods film, due to the similarities from the film interpretation?

Edited by Hollywood1892

47 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Does that mean DC will have a hard time pushing a New Gods film, do to the similarities from the film interpretation?

It would've been better if they'd kept Kirby's concept of The Eternals being earthborn rather than yet more humanoid aliens, and so, to the general public, Thor, then Eternals, then New Gods might seem repetitious. Also, the idea of them protecting their weaker human cousins from the hostile Deviants makes more sense than them being unrelated extraterrestrials.  The difference Marvel appears to be emphasising is the historical influence The Eternals have had on mythology and demonology, something which doesn't feature significantly in New Gods, and which also needs to be a stronger, worldwide, more generalised effect than was possible in the Thor movies.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

New Gods are better.

I would have to agree 100%

I would also say Darkseid is better than Thanos

The original reason for the post is that someone suggested a film for New Gods would not happen because of the similarities 

Despite this

https://www-indiewire-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.indiewire.com/2019/08/the-new-gods-ava-duvernay-dc-superhero-1202162839/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15759022498830&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indiewire.com%2F2019%2F08%2Fthe-new-gods-ava-duvernay-dc-superhero-1202162839%2F

Edited by Hollywood1892

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That 'news'/rumor doesn't have any steam.

Man of Steel 2, Justice League 2, The Flash, Green Lantern Corps, etc etc etc were also "in development" as of a couple years ago. Nothing coming from Warner Bros or Worlds of DC is concrete until they start shooting.

It will be interesting to see how the evil Gods of Apokolips are reimagined for the film.  The Deviants seem to be driven by being angry, frustrated and self-hating because of their genetic instability, whereas the evil Gods of Apokolips, not just Desaad, are a bunch of extremely sadistic control freaks, which might just need to be toned down a bit, but not neutered so much that they're utterly boring, as in Smallville.  They are a bit ridiculous in the comics, especially name-wise; Granny Goodness, Glorious Godfrey, Virman Vundabar, and image-wise with an Italian Renaissance fop and a strutting, wannabe 19th Century Prussian. The only one of Darkseid's elite that I'm really looking forward to seeing is Doctor Bedlam, who I've always found the most fascinating of the group.

Could’ve sworn I’d read somewhere years ago that the Eternals were shopped to dc by Kirby as part of the 4th world but he was turned down and ended up doing them for marvel. I could be wrong. I have so much useless info stored away, I’m bound to confuse things in my old age

36 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

It will be interesting to see how the evil Gods of Apokolips are reimagined for the film.  The Deviants seem to be driven by being angry, frustrated and self-hating because of their genetic instability, whereas the evil Gods of Apokolips, not just Desaad, are a bunch of extremely sadistic control freaks, which might just need to be toned down a bit, but not neutered so much that they're utterly boring, as in Smallville.  They are a bit ridiculous in the comics, especially name-wise; Granny Goodness, Glorious Godfrey, Virman Vundabar, and image-wise with an Italian Renaissance fop and a strutting, wannabe 19th Century Prussian. The only one of Darkseid's elite that I'm really looking forward to seeing is Doctor Bedlam, who I've always found the most fascinating of the group.

It would be nice to see how they use Highfather too, and Orion. Also the while Bad father/ good son Good father/ bad son dynamic is interesting too.

Darkseid comes across as a brutal tyrannical CEO type villain. I know he lost to Doomsday, but its suggested like Knull that it is just a figment of him fighting and not his actual form. Too me Darkseid might be the most formidable villain in the DC universe, now maybe I am stretching things, but he isn't mindless like Doomsday or susceptible like Steppenwolf.

Depending on how DC runs with it, it could be a real opportunity for them. 

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Darkseid is, in fact, DC/s greatest villain. There's no match.

wrong its Joe Chill... (:

4 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I will second that....

That's like saying the Jets are better than the Bengals. Never cared for either Kirby series. Darkseid, in my eyes, will never recover from being central to Kirbys  Super Powers series. Thanos fans can laugh off his one shot in Spidey, but Darkseid spent years as a foil for cartoon characters. It took other writers and artist to make Darkseid into what he now is.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm tempted to post the "fight me u lil _____" Furby meme...

I haven't seen that.. I will go google it.. 

30 minutes ago, shadroch said:

That's like saying the Jets are better than the Bengals. Never cared for either Kirby series. Darkseid, in my eyes, will never recover from being central to Kirbys  Super Powers series. Thanos fans can laugh off his one shot in Spidey, but Darkseid spent years as a foil for cartoon characters. It took other writers and artist to make Darkseid into what he now is.

The same could be said for Venom....not to say that it was destroyed in any way by its inventor, but the entire symbiote theme was evolved by other artist/writers. Not to say it was a good thing or bad thing.

I've read Forever People 1 and he wasn't that intimidating as a villain, but I do think he is DCs best villain now.

Edited by Hollywood1892