• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your (most emotional) collecting milestones to date

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

Finally....

How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" by John Buscema and Stan Lee. The complete interior art (plus cover prelim) for "How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way". 

Being a HUGE John Buscema fan I wanted a page or piece of original art from this book. Never in my wildest imagination did I ever expect to own the whole book.

The story:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. (wait scratch that, but SDCC does seem like a different galaxy to some).

Any ways at preview night San Diego Comic Con 2014, I was at Albert Moy's booth drooling over his "Wall of Drool (Art)" when Albert produces a thick cardboard box. To my astonishment it contained all the original interior art to "How to Draw The Marvel Way". Almost anyone who reads comic books knows about this book. My first exposure was discovering it at the library (its a place which were books can be checked out and read, no not Wikipedia) when I was in Jr High. I was blown away that I could become a comic book artist (ya I soon realized I didnt have the patience or skill to become a comic book artist). But I still loved looking thru the book and that book has stuck with me ever since.

I think that book helped me appreciate the art in the comic books and later my collecting of original comic art (especially Big John art).

After looking the all the art (twice) I was able to work out a deal with Albert Moy for it (It took me a while to pay it off).

I want to take my hat off (where is that damn hat?) to Albert who was really great to work with on this deal. 

I know its more than one piece of art but this is truly the sum of its parts. If you took any individual piece (except the prelim cover) away it wouldn't be what it is.

Here is just a few examples from the book.

The other finds are cool, but this is the best. An amazing find that ended up with the right guy.

My first piece was the most emotional. My favorite hero by my favorite artist - Superman by Curt Swan. Paid for with money that I inherited from my paternal grandmother who had passed away 38 years earlier. In an auction when I figured that there was no way I could afford it. Full story by clicking the image.

image.thumb.png.94af5be03e08642eda22755e483e986a.png

Next come a series of commissions by artists whose work I so greatly admired growing up and who I managed to contact before they passed away or lost their abilities. NIck Cardy's Teen Titans and Bat Lash, Gene Colan's DD and BW, Joe Kubert's Sgt. Rock. Click the image to get the full story on each and a bigger picture.
image.png.57ab0de5ce7c73f511d7557886204566.pngimage.png.d1bdcb1f04421f3c408f57da5dde0e09.pngimage.png.8d818b6aba2f8ad7532baa65bd6da49b.pngimage.png.25cfc8051cbb642c7fb54375a92458ed.png

And so many more. Basically, every piece I have has a story attached to it. I've actually written all of those stories and placed them on Facebook if you are curious. Just click here.

13 hours ago, The Voord said:

I own a handful of qualifying artworks, so here's one key example  (along with a copy-and-paste write-up from my CAF) . . .

Back in the 1960s, in my home town of Liverpool, England . . . I used to scour all the local newsagents for the latest American comic-books. Although I had a preference for the Marvel titles, I was quite open to try anything that looked interesting (regardless of publisher).

One weekend, during a systematic search of the neighborhood, I came across the # 24 issue of a title I'd not seen before . . . SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE. The dramatic (painted) cover depicted a daring rescue bid to save a sacrificial victim from an imminent fiery death, atop of the hands of a gigantic statue in the ancient mythical land of Atlantis. On the strength of the cover painting alone I bought the comic-book and was duly hooked on the adventures of the Robinsons (which have no bearing on the TV series of the same name).

The interior art, by Dan Spiegle, was deceptively simple. His story-telling, in comparison to the superhero stuff of the time, didn't go in for the heightened sense of drama most of us had become accustomed to. Spiegle's story art was a gentle, refreshing change of pace . . . allowing the strength of the writing not to be overshadowed by flashy macho-posturing characters.

A month or two after buying LOST IN SPACE # 24, I bought the follow-up issue of this two-part adventure. The cover image to SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE # 25 was, to the 10 year old boy I was at the time, even more spectacular!. For over four decades I'd been enamoured of George Wilson's stunning # 25 cover painting - and it remained high on my 'Wants' list of nostalgic favourites.

In recent years, when I decided to scale-down my collection to a core group of cherished favourites, I'd abandoned all hope of ever finding my LOST IN SPACE cover grail. One day, out of the blue, I received an e-mail from the (then) owner - expressing an interest in releasing the cover to me in trade.

Through several weeks of looking at trade options (for artwork outside of my own collection that I could possibly buy as trade-bait), the alternative idea of a straight cash sale was agreed upon - and many, many years later, the original artwork for a much-loved and long-admired painting found its way to me.

untitled.jpg

George Wilson's covers sold lots of comics. They were so good that even if I didn't care for the comic, I wanted to buy it. Congratulations.