• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Staining
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I just purchased a raw FF #57 on eBay. Upon receiving the book I found a very light, but decent-sized, stain on the upper right hand corner of the back cover (see photo) which was not disclosed in the original listing. The seller does not know what it is but apologized and is offering either a full refund with a return or to let me keep the book and give a partial refund in line with whatever I think the new grade is. I am now debating whether or not to return the book or keep it at a discount. Without this stain, I believe it would easily grade as an 8.5-9.0. It's uber glossy and presents beautifully-especially the front cover. On the other hand I have heard stains destroy grades and have no idea how this (or really any stain) will affect the grade and value of the book. 

As such, any insight/advice would be welcome. How would you grade this book? Thanks! 

IMG_0496.jpg

I would say thats a 2.0 point stain.  I've had what I considered 9.2/9.4 come back 8.5/9.0 because of smaller and lighter stains.  There's a stain smaller than the size of a dime on the upper right hand back cover.  I was sure this was an easy 9.2 because I didn't notice the stain when I bought it.  

IMG_8867.JPG

IMG_8870.jpg

If you want that stain reduced or removed, I recommend you send it to 427Impaler. He is currently offering the first comic is FREE to try his conservation process which would reduce the tidal line in the back corner of your SA FF comic. He has posted up some before and after pics in this forum of his process.

Wow. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

CapraAegagrus has a good point. Tough to offer an opinion with just one photo. Here are some more. As you can see the stain goes through to the other side of back cover but has no impact on the actual pages. There is no warping or molding. Just light discoloration. 

Comicquant - thanks for the photos. Super helpful. As you can see my stain's a bit bigger. Is there a general rule of thumb for grading stains (based on size, discoloration, type of stain, etc)?

Aardvark88 - have you tried this process with any of your books?

Thanks again everyone.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

I had guessed 6.0 to 6.5 (based on my nearly non-existent experience grading stains) so I am heartened to hear it could grade a bit higher. I do think it presents really well and I got a great price so I may try to hold onto it and see if I can get some money back. Thanks again. Oh and if anyone is down for posting some links to resources on stains (types, affect on grade, etc.) I would really appreciate it.

I would be at 6.5-7.0 too with that kind of stain that goes through the page and line very apparent. There's also some tanning on the book and some wear and looks like a tiny tear to the top Front cover (FC) and some spine creases dont know if they break colour or not.

you might like to watch this video about staining.. it helped me understand staining a bit more.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/12/cgc-insider-8-effect-staining-comic-book-grading/

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Just remember any cleaning to remove the stain might result in a conserved grade. 

As it should if chemically treated. CGC will catch it and definitely purple flag it, unlike what has and does go on in the sports card professional grading biz, which appears to be a wild west-anything goes system of grading.