• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking pictures of slabbed books.
2 2

30 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

We all have been there:

The sweet spot between that light source glare and the reflection of ourselves taking pictures in our underwear.

The correct horizontal and vertical alignment to capture the full case/book/grade without presenting Liefeld-like cover proportions.

The slight imperfections in clarity, color temperature, sharpness, and contrast that never seem to fully and accurately represent the glorious presentation visible to the naked (and afraid) eye.  

The elusive perfect background:  marbled counter tops, shag carpets, plaid loveseat.  You are only as good as your worst flooring/furniture material.

10 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

We all have been there:

The sweet spot between that light source glare and the reflection of ourselves taking pictures in our underwear.

The correct horizontal and vertical alignment to capture the full case/book/grade without presenting Liefeld-like cover proportions.

The slight imperfections in clarity, color temperature, sharpness, and contrast that never seem to fully and accurately represent the glorious presentation visible to the naked (and afraid) eye.  

The elusive perfect background:  marbled counter tops, shag carpets, plaid loveseat.  You are only as good as your worst flooring/furniture material.

The ‘QVC’:  hand modeling your books with a simple lift with one hand and snap with the other.  Enough finesse to exert proper balance and single-handed dexterity, but with little care or concern to go beyond the quick grab and snap.  Did you remember to shave your knuckles?

The scanner.  Finally got this POS to connect to my computer and moved the enormous pile of junk off the lid to open it up. Wait. How the %!<{@ do technology proficient nerds even fit this in their scanner?  Why is mine not only cut off like Lt Dan but also nothing but an oversized vanity mirror reflecting the scan light?  !  I swear my cover just faded a little bit.

Time to post.  Fortunately, after all this trouble, there won’t be a better version of what I just shared that makes my efforts all for naught.  

Nailed it.

We all have been there:

The ‘QVC’:  hand modeling your books with a simple lift with one hand and snap with the other.  Enough finesse to exert proper balance and single-handed dexterity, but with little care or concern to go beyond the quick grab and snap.  Did you remember to shave your knuckles?

The scanner.  Finally got this POS to connect to my computer and moved the enormous pile of junk off the lid to open it up. Wait. How the %!<{@ do technology proficient nerds even fit this in their scanner?  Why is mine not only cut off like Lt Dan but also nothing but an oversized vanity mirror reflecting the scan light?  !  I swear my cover just faded a little bit.

Time to post.  Fortunately, after all this trouble, there won’t be a better version of what I just shared that makes my efforts all for naught.  

:ohnoez: Do us a favor and spoiler that *spoon*, okay?

We all have been there:

wait you guys wear underwear... damnit... I thought we were suppose to go all natural... lol :whee:

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

wait you guys wear underwear... damnit... I thought we were suppose to go all natural... lol :whee:

It's called "commando". :gossip:

I've found wearing high heels gets you to a better elevation to where glare can be avoided.  I got that tip from greggy.

17 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I can help some:

put the slab into a box lid of sufficient size. Then hold the lid with slab in it (or prop it up). The box lid helps keep direct light off of the slab.

even if you take the pic straight on?? I usually get a flash spot on the slab and have to shoot at an angle.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

It's called "commando". :gossip:

I've found wearing high heels gets you to a better elevation to where glare can be avoided.  I got that tip from greggy.

Greggy seems to know all the tricks of the trade don't he.

21 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I can help some:

put the slab into a box lid of sufficient size. Then hold the lid with slab in it (or prop it up). The box lid helps keep direct light off of the slab.

definitely might have to try this while Commando style lol