• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage of CGC Graded Comic Books
3 3

46 posts in this topic

I couldn't find anything on the subject, so let's talk about the storage of our CGC graded comic books.

I own roughly 330 CGC (and other) graded comic books and currently house them in cardboard CGC boxes.  Each box holds about 30-33 slabs depending on thickness.  I have all of the boxes sitting on a 4-tier wire rack.  But I will probably be doubling this inventory over the next 2-3 years.

I store all of my "raw" (non-graded) comics in lateral file cabinets which I love for this purpose.  But all of these lateral file cabinet drawers are way too short for the height of slabs.  And I would love to have a lateral file cabinet for the storage of slabs.  As far as I know, none of these cabinets exist.  Due to the way slabs are labeled, I'm looking for something where I can store the slabs vertically in columns.  A slab is about 13" in height.

If someone is aware of these types of cabinets, let me know.  Also, please chime in on how you currently store your slabs.

Mike

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just a point of interest, I would love to own file cabinets for both raw and slabbed, but that are also able to be locked with a key, I assume most file cabinets are lockable?

Most if not all of my lateral file cabinets have a key lock in them.  Because I buy them all previously used, many times they don't come with a key, but I'm assuming I could have one made for most of them.

1 minute ago, Shark said:

Most if not all of my lateral file cabinets have a key lock in them.  Because I buy them all previously used, many times they don't come with a key, but I'm assuming I could have one made for most of them.

It would be nice to find file cabinets to hold Short Boxes too of slabbed, I don't have the box measured, but to keep the slabs from getting scuffed from the metal file cabinets :) 

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Nice shelves, slabs on their sides, spines/staples down.

cgcshelf.jpg

I know I read about this in two threads one was really old about storing slabs like this to prevent gravity from pulling on the top staples.. has anyone come across a slab where the staple was pulled because it was stored the traditional way that CGC has said that its ok to store the traditional way?

@Shark But I believe you are looking for something that looks like this, so you can store them flat without stacking them on top of one another by putting them in horizontal slots, right? Here's a link to the seller of this item, but it's only 11 5/8" deep, so slabs would stick our the front by about an inch or so, plus it may not be cost effective at $58 each. They do have some other similar models too.

https://www.officesupplyhut.com/Products/Safco-Adjustable-Vertical-Wood-Shelf-Organizer---11-Compartment(s)---Compartment-Size-16-x-1063-x-188---16-Height-x-108-Width-x-12-Depth--__SAF9419GR.aspx?msclkid=0d3c2201fa711a3296157ff127552a57&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS - Shopping - Furniture&utm_term=4585169646285652&utm_content=Furniture

Here's a link to another company's product that is a little cheaper: https://www.shoplet.com/Safco-Vertical-Desktop-Sorter/SAF9419GR/spdv?pt=rk_msn_pla&msclkid=b2feecae7c821dcd0aaab15e9dadd6ab&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BPA - Items - Discount Office Supplies&utm_term=4585100929110967&utm_content=BPA Item - Hot Item|Discount Office Supplies|Safco

1890989479_verticleshelf.jpg.9bd799098a1ffe5cc15a8a0531029e95.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

5 hours ago, IbukiLord said:

BEMvd0y.jpg

I'm aware of these, but that would simply be exchanging cardboard boxes for hard plastic boxes.  Better yes, but I'm looking to store them in cabinets just like I currently store my raw comics - vertically, with label up and standing on end.

I use legal size filing cabinets. The slabs sit sideways (staples down) within individual hanging file folders. They pack pretty tightly yet not pressing against or touching each other. They can also be slid fore and aft on the rails.

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I agree this position is probably the best way to store your slabs, or lying flat.

1. Stacked flat would be the best way.  Zero impact to the comic itself.:smile:

Stacked flat means possibly cracking the bottom slab or not getting the height out of the stack that you want.

You know what doesn't have those problems?

cgcshelf.jpg&key=5e13534d87da2c518227b1e

:kidaround:

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Stacked flat means possibly cracking the bottom slab or not getting the height out of the stack that you want.

funny-cat-gifs-220-06.gif

I guess all you other nerds weren't reading the Guinness Book of World Records upside-down when you were 8 years old like I was.  I pictured all the other little nerd kids around the country doing goofy stuff like reading books upside-down.  It actually comes in handy for decades later. :grin:

Never once have I turned my head sideways to read the top label of a slab, no matter how it is shelved. lol

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

That picture is frightening. I can see a slabolanche easily happening.