• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage of CGC Graded Comic Books
3 3

46 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Stacked flat means possibly cracking the bottom slab or not getting the height out of the stack that you want.

You know what doesn't have those problems?

cgcshelf.jpg&key=5e13534d87da2c518227b1e

:kidaround:

That picture is frightening. I can see a slabolanche easily happening.

Solid cherry shelving, baby.  No particle board within a quarter mile.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Stacked flat means possibly cracking the bottom slab or not getting the height out of the stack that you want.

You know what doesn't have those problems?

The new slabs don't have those problems stacked flat based on how hard it is to actually crack one open. I would be curious to know if CGC tested them to see how much pressure it would take to actually crack one of them.

16 minutes ago, kimik said:

The new slabs don't have those problems stacked flat based on how hard it is to actually crack one open. I would be curious to know if CGC tested them to see how much pressure it would take to actually crack one of them.

USPS, UPS and FEDEX have already figured that out!

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You want to be able to access them without having to move stacks of boxes around...?

Yes, and I want to pull open a drawer and see the top of each slab in nice neat columns.  Just like in the CGC boxes but without the boxes.  Lateral file cabinets would satisfy that requirement if only the drawers were much taller.

I have had my comics in filing cabinets for years, never found any cabinets that could do a decent job for slabs

Sturdy bookshelves are the way to go, I have 21 cabinets and 3 bookshelves and a creaking ceiling :ohnoez:

Sorry about the poor photo quality, its from years ago, I really need to take some fresh ones

171289979_Comicroom.png.0b04d6d615c07faa09109c88363f5697.png

2 hours ago, Shark said:

Yeah, no.  You need to be more lucid than that set of instructions.

1 minute ago, Ladic said:

I have one of these, don't have many slabs. But I am slowly changing all my comics to these boxes, better for stacking.

I use those as well.. they are great you can also tilt them on the side on a shelf so you then close the door on them as well pretty good boxes

14 hours ago, Shark said:

I would love to be able to build something like that, but I have zero carpentry skills. :tonofbricks:

2 minutes ago, Shark said:

that's a pretty sweet CGC cabinet.. I want one now lol and nice table top to display statues or stuff on top.. 

I was talking to my neighbor the other day and it ends up his dad is a cabinet maker.  I showed them a few slabs and the video of the cabinet the guy on Facebook made.  His dad said he didn't need a build plan and could make one just like it for me.  Should be getting a quote from them shortly.  I'll keep you guys informed if I have one built.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, oldbsturgeon said:

So there are these things, flat file cabinets. Meant for blueprints. They seem to work pretty well too.

Video of flat file cabinets in action

I like that idea as an alternative - the problem being that it's only 10 slabs per drawer.  Each 5-drawer cabinet would only hold 50 slabs.  I would need 8 of those just to cover what I currently have.  I'm sticking with 15-drawer wood cabinet style.

Edited by Shark