• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage of CGC Graded Comic Books
3 3

46 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2020 at 11:32 PM, GLCBrad said:
On 12/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, Blastaar said:

They should make a slightly larger slab to store your slab. 

I can’t stop laughing at this comment

... for when your Newton rings need Newton rings.

PROBLEM SOLVED!  :whee:

Earlier this year, a local reseller of used office furniture found a 3-drawer file cabinet for me with extra tall drawers (the gray one).  It was perfect for what I was looking for - the ability to store graded comic books vertically.  Each drawer holds roughly 90 slabs (about 45 per column).  This particular cabinet has permanent metal dividers in it.  And the drawers are nice and stable when fully extended - no concerns with tipping.  That cabinet is full (about 270 total).  

Problem is I have about 400 slabs with another 75 or so currently out for grading.  So I still had slabs sitting in boxes on that wire rack.  So I set out to find a similar cabinet.  My local reseller was unable to find another so I took it upon myself to contact some local used office furniture companies early last week.  And bingo!  I got a hit.  Examined the cabinet in person last Friday (took a slab with me) to confirm it would work.  I picked it up earlier this afternoon (the tan one).  It’s a little deeper than the gray one so it will hold about 100 slabs per drawer.  It does not have the metal dividers, so you have to make sure each column is full or place something else in there to keep the partial column of slabs upright.

And up until today I wasn’t exactly sure what terminology to use to find these cabinets.  3-drawer?  Tall drawers?  Specify dimensions?  Let me make it simpler for you if you would like to find one yourself.  Search for X-ray file cabinets.  The one I bought today had a tag on it that said “X-ray file”.  Makes sense considering the size of x-rays.

Total cost?  $153.00 - $50 for the first cabinet, $103 (tax included) for the second one.  And I was looking at $900 (now closer to $2000) for a custom made wood cabinet that would house less slabs than these 2 cabinets together.

ADC9BAED-3C8A-4072-ADBD-1A3040B7F85C.jpeg

C1F575CF-ECBC-4600-8A52-E99022E1F73F.jpeg

2B11FB6A-E6ED-4BF9-B405-FF13D9A80D4A.jpeg

On 8/19/2021 at 9:39 PM, Tnexus said:

Those are nice! What are the full dimensions of those?

20-1/2" wide x 26" deep x 52-1/2" tall for the gray cabinet.  The tan cabinet is a tad shorter in height but about 1-2" deeper.