• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Tyler Jenkins art?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Picked up a book I never read or head of (Black Badge) off the racks based on flipping through the art, which is not something I ever do. 

8c6a17f3-c333-4a4f-8840-5e059f98dc4e.jpg

The examples you provided are very good. $30-$80 seems fair. Looks like watercolor and mixed media....I wish I could find some Romita Spideys for those prices...Hello 80’s and early 90’s¬¬

Edited by grapeape

There's a ton of recent guys that can spin circles artistically around the old crowd that enjoys nostalgia popularity; many are not just affordable but cheap even. You may not ever make a markup but if you like the art/story/whatever...go for it. Don't have any Tyler yet, but I will and I've been buying lots of other guys in similar situations -just for fun. Profit...later? Or not, who cares :)

52 minutes ago, vodou said:

There's a ton of recent guys that can spin circles artistically around the old crowd that enjoys nostalgia popularity; many are not just affordable but cheap even. You may not ever make a markup but if you like the art/story/whatever...go for it. Don't have any Tyler yet, but I will and I've been buying lots of other guys in similar situations -just for fun. Profit...later? Or not, who cares :)

Who are some of the other guys that you're into?

3 hours ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Picked up a book I never read or head of (Black Badge) off the racks based on flipping through the art, which is not something I ever do. 

That's exactly how I got hooked on Tyler's art. For me it was Grass Kings. I saw this new book on the stand, picked it up and liked the art. I bought the first two issues, but didn't get around to reading them until after I met Tyler at Comicpalooza. I commissioned a drawing of "a significant character doing something relevant to the story" after admitting that I hadn't read the book yet, but loved the art.

That's how Robert entered my home and collection. Click to get a bigger picture.
Grass Kings - Robert by Tyler Jenkins Comic Art

4 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Don't read much of the work he is tied to but see his pages floating around for next to nothing. Unique work, interior pages go for around $30-$80. Thoughts?

Where did you find his work for sale? I had no idea it was so inexpensive.

3 minutes ago, NewCollector101 said:

Who are some of the other guys that you're into?

Several newer artists whose work I really enjoy include (where I have examples, click on the name)

and so many others that I've missed.

6 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Don't read much of the work he is tied to but see his pages floating around for next to nothing. Unique work, interior pages go for around $30-$80. Thoughts?

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.ce8fa962f7762fe47115ab2db77c6303.jpg

s-l400.jpg.41a21ba5a2c286e5476306733782b60f.jpg

qXjVDU4Y_0607171655541gpadd.jpg.74991fd79a1bd349b0d2fc377e3ed497.jpg

s-l1600.jpg.782392039412640dfb14f1cde93c5c96.jpg

At that price, buy as much as you want.

But if you are asking me what I think of the work, it it not to my taste. That does not mean it’s bad, just that I don’t appreciate the style enough to want to try and get into it. I generally like something more stylized, or in the other direction, crisper.